Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Carlisle , Arizona
Window "relax / close" on lowerst catch?

Why does all our large windows "relax" to the closed position when we have them in the "open" lowest catch position? We have a Classic. The smaller windows stay about 4" open in the lowest catch/position? I posted this same question on Airstream Addicts and seems many have this same problem and some in the new Globetrotters also?
mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
1. the big windows are heavy.
2. the angle of the prop rod is too low to counter act the "heavy" and the plastic gives.
3. It has been a known problem since around 2005 from what I read in the forums.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
I've been told if you remove and reinstall the catch assembly around 1/2" higher the rod leverage will be improved enough to hold the window open in the lowest catch position most of the time. It's on my list of things to do this summer.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #4
Paul Kukstis

2018 30' Classic
Scituate , Massachusetts
On our 2018 Classic 30 the 3 windows near the dinette are like that but the 2 same size large windows in the bedroom are set and open properly...having them reset by dealer.
paul.kukstis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

​201​9 Atlas​
West Vancouver , British Columbia
Had 2 of mine on 2018 Classic fixed under warranty at JC. 3 position fitting has to be removed and reinstalled.
ldavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Irvine , CA
My 2018 is going in for a bunch warranty work next month and very glad to see this so I can add it to the punch list. I thought it was rather odd the lowest notch was worthless, but I get tired of whining about the workmanship details. Whoever was the supervising inspector of my model should be fired for signing off on it. I hate to see anyone lose their job for honest mistakes, but there are too many quality-of-workmanship issues with my AS to not wish for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavids View Post
Had 2 of mine on 2018 Classic fixed under warranty at JC. 3 position fitting has to be removed and reinstalled.
Octarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #7
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Yup, this is not a new problem. It’s been around since early 2000. Just not an issue for me and certainly not worth going to a dealer over. I would rather be out enjoying my AS than having it sit at a dealer for weeks. I figured I have 2 options, fix it myself or live with it.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
I've been told if you remove and reinstall the catch assembly around 1/2" higher the rod leverage will be improved enough to hold the window open in the lowest catch position most of the time. It's on my list of things to do this summer.
I like mine in the lowest position; the knobs are then recessed enough the Day/night shade slides right by.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Window

My 71 has the same problem! It’s not a new thing.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 06:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Yup, this is not a new problem. It’s been around since early 2000. Just not an issue for me and certainly not worth going to a dealer over. I would rather be out enjoying my AS than having it sit at a dealer for weeks. I figured I have 2 options, fix it myself or live with it.
Ditto....

I can fix it in two hours. Or drive 4 hours one way to the dealer....or days.....to JC.

Also I'm not seeing the big punch list of warrantee issues y'all are coming up with.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:09 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Irvine , CA
Fortunately, my AS dealer is only 30 minutes away. I have to say the customer service by Airstream OC is fantastic. They sent a tech out to inspect, repair where possible, document the warranty work that needed to be done, and did all the legwork getting everything approved (ordering new doors and cabinets takes time and lots of follow-up). Here's my punch list for the dealer when I drop it off:

1. Wardrobe doors and drawers - Wardrobe doors too short. Fell out on first trip, damaging drawers underneath. Verified by tech.
2. Faulty Alde temperature sensor - tech tried to replace, but wire was pinched when overhead entertainment cabinets were installed. Temporary sensor installed above bathroom door until cabinets can be pulled out at the dealer.
3. Entry door light/fixture flickers - bulb replaced. Did not fix the problem.
4. Shower lights flicker while running water pump on city water (to increase water pressure for shower).
5. Overhead blinds - all top right tensions tabs are defective
6. USB charging ports not working between recliners
7. Door lock issue - will not engage from inside unless slammed hard. Rarely on the first try.
8. Since purchase - low water pressure due to "double" regulators (at spigot and on-board) to prevent leaking from pop-off relief valve (overfilled a 5-gallon bucket in one evening) . On-board regulator replaced. Did not work. Possible replacement of pop-off relieve valve.
9. Re-set and re-install window catch assembly for large windows that are still closed on lowest notch.
10. Please inspect for missing rivets. Found several popped from first trip.

How's that for a punch list of warranty work?

Despite all of the above, I've very much enjoyed living in my Airstream every day since February. Learning how to service, maintain, and yes, even do minor repairs myself (thanks to a lot of information and advice from this forum), have given me a confidence and independence that can only be earned and lived. My husband has a 1975 Sovereign in Alaska and he enjoys my shiny-new by-the-bay abode just as much as we enjoy getting our hands dirty with his. Y'all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
Ditto....

I can fix it in two hours. Or drive 4 hours one way to the dealer....or days.....to JC.

Also I'm not seeing the big punch list of warrantee issues y'all are coming up with.
Octarine is offline   Reply With Quote