Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Water Pump 2019 Classic 39

The water pump in our Classic when turned on ups the pressure from our city water source to a more desirable level for showering. But the problem is that it does not shut off when the call for water is shut off only if it is shut off at the switch on Czone.

We have pulled the filter to look for any debris and found nothing. While looking at the pump, if a white wire was touched, the pump shut off. It was taped together with electrical tape to red wires. We reset the wiring connection and it began to work again. And after a few uses where it continued to noisily, it even began to sound normally.

But it did not last. It is back to running noisily and not shutting off.

My question is how does the wiring affect the operation of the shutoff of the water pump? Is there something we can do to check/fix it or is the only option to go back to dealer?
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:36 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
That should be Classic 30.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
A couple things to clarify as I’m confused... sounds like you may have a couple problems.

#1 Shouldnt be running the water pump while connected to city water. Either you city water pressure is low, you may be using an external pressure regulator in addition to your internal regulator, or your internal regulator is bad. Have you tried opening the city wire line up fully?

#2 Pump will stay on to pressurize the system. Are you saying that it stays on continually and just won’t shut off even when all water valves are closed? Stays on when valves are open? Or you close the valve and the pump continues for a little and then shuts off?

Please clarify

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:43 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
A couple things to clarify as I’m confused... sounds like you may have a couple problems.

#1 Shouldnt be running the water pump while connected to city water. Either you city water pressure is low, you may be using an external pressure regulator in addition to your internal regulator, or your internal regulator is bad. Have you tried opening the city wire line up fully?

#2 Pump will stay on to pressurize the system. Are you saying that it stays on continually and just won’t shut off even when all water valves are closed? Stays on when valves are open? Or you close the valve and the pump continues for a little and then shuts off?

Please clarify

The water pressure at our seasonal site inside the AS is not good. Although when we use an outside hose, the water pressure appears normal. We do not have an external water regulator. I do not know where the internal regulator is or how to know if it is bad or good. For example, if you flush the toilet and another person is using a faucet, the water pressure drops significantly.

Given that, filling the fresh water tank and using the water pump to increase the water pressure, when more pressure is needed like when I want the water to actually get all my hair wet in the shower, I have been using the water pump, with both this new Classic and our 2018. This has never been a problem.

The pump is staying on all the time when we switch it on even if we are not knowingly calling for water anywhere in the rig. The only way it does not run is when it is switched off. It should, and has done in the past, switch shortly after the call for water has stopped.

When examining the water pump, touching a white wire going into the water pump, shut the pump off. Releasing the touch, turned it back on. We reset this wire, thinking it might be loose and causing the problem. It seemed to solve the problem. All was running as expected. But then the symptoms began again.

We are also having problems with the toilet and are wondering if the two are related. After flushing the toilet, at times, the toilet continues to have water coming into the bowl even though the foot pedal is no longer being activated. Eventually, this does stop. This happens regardless of the water pump being on or off. Then the next issue happens. The water drains from the toilet and no water is coming back (as it should not) until the toilet is flushed.

Too many plumbing problems! We already had to return to dealer to get a shower leak fixed. The connection was not crimped correctly.

Does that clarify?
Old 07-19-2019, 06:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Wherever I may roam , America
Just a heads up. You can run the water pump while on city water. The manual even says you can.
johnparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
But remember that the pump only gets water from your tank. If there is no water in the tank it’s not going to help a bit.

Personally, it’s a dumb bit of advice in the manual. If I have really low campground water pressure, I just full the fresh water tank and run my pump. Same in freezing weather. Fill the tank when the hose is not frozen, run on the pump at night. Our International has tank heaters to keep them warm.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Wherever I may roam , America
Quote:
But remember that the pump only gets water from your tank. If there is no water in the tank it’s not going to help a bit.

Right, I thought that went without saying. My pump won’t even run when the tank is empty. Does yours?
johnparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post

Personally, it’s a dumb bit of advice in the manual. If I have really low campground water pressure, I just full the fresh water tank and run my pump. Same in freezing weather. Fill the tank when the hose is not frozen, run on the pump at night. Our International has tank heaters to keep them warm.
^
X2

We always draw water from the FW tank even if city water is available.

We only turn the pump on when needed....('on-demand') 😂
Off at night and when the AS is unattended.

Bob
🇺🇸

Ask me why I don't leave the system under pressure.

3am... FW empty🤬
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_109f.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	347080  
Old 07-19-2019, 02:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnparris View Post
Right, I thought that went without saying. My pump won’t even run when the tank is empty. Does yours?

Mine will run whenever I switch it on. It’s not smart enough tying shut off when it runs out of water, sadly.

Worse is no pilot light on the switch (yet) to remind me it’s powered up.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Off-topic but my Fleetwood Discovery onboard pump would overpower the campsite water pressure and I have pumped 100 gals of water from my fresh water tank into the campground water supply. Fleetwoods don't come with a check valve to prevent backflow and that from the tech support people at the factory. I could disconnect the hose from the campground connection, turn on the pump and wash the coach. That's one reason we drink bottled water.

PS. Yes, we did add our own check value but we have talked to many Fleetwood owners that have the same problem.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
I am looking for reasons why the water pump won’t shut off on its own so that I can find the problem. What is supposed to shut it off? I assume that shutting off all demand for water should shut it off. Does this mean I have a leak somewhere or is more likely that the pump doesn’t know it doesn’t need to pump anymore, i.e defective pump? And since I am only using it when I need higher pressure, like filling a pan or washing my hair, am I doing some kind of damage to run it intermittently, manually shutting it off when I am done?

The real solution is have the dealer fix it. I just don’t have time for that right now.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post
I am looking for reasons why the water pump won’t shut off on its own so that I can find the problem. What is supposed to shut it off? I assume that shutting off all demand for water should shut it off. Does this mean I have a leak somewhere or is more likely that the pump doesn’t know it doesn’t need to pump anymore, i.e defective pump? And since I am only using it when I need higher pressure, like filling a pan or washing my hair, am I doing some kind of damage to run it intermittently, manually shutting it off when I am done?

The real solution is have the dealer fix it. I just don’t have time for that right now.
First of all, your water pump should shut off when there is no demand for water, regardless of whether the pump is still turned on via the panel in the bathroom or on the Firefly panel. If it's still running after you close the faucet/shower valve, you have a problem.

I'd be very suspicious of the wiring to the pump given the fact that you could fiddle with it and cause the pump to temporarily stop running. You said you found and repaired a loose connection but maybe it needs further attention or there is another problem with some other connection associated with that particular wire.

In general there shouldn't be a problem in running the pump intermittently and shutting it off manually assuming that the problem with the pump isn't that you have a leak somewhere and the pump keeps running to try and maintain water pressure. I assume you don't see water leaking anywhere inside or outside/under the coach?

As for your issue with the toilet, and how that might be connected to all of this, I won't hazard a guess except to say that it's obviously not normal toilet behavior.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
If your spigot water pressure is really low, your internal pump can actually pump water into the spigot output.

You can have a bad check valve.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote