Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 11:55 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Was I just a bone head?

There may be or not a thread on being or having "a bone head" moment. We have all had these moments I presume. Me I just laugh at myself, hopefully correct and move on. I would like to share my latest "bone head" moment. Hope others share theirs. On our recent trip (second outing w/our new AS) down the Oregon coast, pulled into site and started set up process. First mistake, did not have my glasses on. Second mistake, got distracted, not sure as to what it was. Third mistake, hooked the fresh water line up to the "clean out" and not fresh water connection. Turned the water on. It is important to note, drain values were closed. Next thing I know there is water pouring off the awning! Looked to the roof and there is water pouring out the roof vent. Running to shut the water off, got it off. I am thinking what is going on? After a few minutes of looking and thinking, put my glasses on, went through set up again. Sure enough found my "bone head" moment. We just both laughed.

Happy and safe travels.
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Well I guess you got your black tank flushed!

I drove a ways with my TV antenna up last spring.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The list of similar "moments" is unfortunately a bit long. The most recent involved not *quite* getting the stinky slinky tight enough at the dump station .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I'm glad you can laugh about it.

You are not the first to make that mistake, not by a long shot.

Forum member Moosetags has an idea for preventing that: Get a pair of garden hose quick-connect fittings. Put one on your fresh water inlet and fresh water hose, but not on your black tank inlet or black-tank-flushing hose (or vice versa). Then you will have incompatible inlets.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I've always wondered just what they were thinking when they put the black tank flush inlet right close to the fresh water inlet.....and they look very similar...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
I've always wondered just what they were thinking when they put the black tank flush inlet right close to the fresh water inlet.....and they look very similar...
I dunno......my black water flush hookup is...um, black.
And my "white water" hookup is white.

Maybe not all are color coded, but....jus' sayin'.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Mine are both silver metal with a black connector. The only difference is that the fresh water inlet has a black tethered screw in cap that stays in, and the black tank flush has a black tethered press in cap that always falls out...That's going to get an aluminum screw-in cap that says "black flush" on it deeply engraved...before I screw up again.....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Well, there was the time I tried to drive away with my electric jack stand still in the down position. That did not go well. I had just replaced it it too. Rangers had to cut the leg off with a sawz-all. Good thing I got a good deal on the electric jack because I got buy it twice. Pays not to get distracted while you are hitching or un-hitching for that matter.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Mansfield , Texas
Too funny! Good thing no one needed to use the toilet before you found the mistake.
HubbyBear77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
I blame Airstream for hooking incoming water to the black tank rinse line. I had a 2007 and the black tank rinse was on the bottom. Got a 2016 and they have reversed the positions of incoming water and black tank inlets . Of course I just hook up the incoming water to the black tank rinse because that is the position I have been hooking to for years.

I have also left the electric jack down and started driving away...that I blame on the heavy rain at the time and rushing and not making a
final check.
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've done the exact same thing. More than once. But I can claim event separation of a couple decades. Young and dumb, versus old and forgetful.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Elora , Ontario
Several times.... :(

Backing into winter storage and anxiously watching the mirrors to avoid hitting the sides....only to forget the overhang above and put a nice dent above the rear window...

Forgetting to secure a loose jack post, only to have it slowly unthread and getting longer until the next bump made it hit the road and bend....

Attempting to squeeze the ride on mower between the Airstream and a ladder, only to hit the ladder with the mower chute and helplessly watch it fall on the Airstream and crack the front window shade....

Sigh.....
Geobie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Third mistake, hooked the fresh water line up to the "clean out" and not fresh water connection. Turned the water on. It is important to note, drain values were closed. Next thing I know there is water pouring off the awning! Looked to the roof and there is water pouring out the roof vent.
Happy and safe travels.
Rent/download/On Demand the video "RV" with Robin Williams. There are some good moments, especially the dump station scene. You really need to see that one. I think you experienced a smaller version of that.

So far, the only bonehead moments I've had are repeatedly forgetting to raise the stabilizers before raising the nose to hookup the tow vehicle. I was embarrassed by my non-mechanical wife who actually read the instructions for opening the Zip-Dee awning, so we could open the AS door without the awning blocking it.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I just recalled a bonehead moment. We had accidentally left a back burner on the stove on, but not lit. It was barely on but we were buttoned up because of the cool weather. We kept smelling garlic and couldn't locate the source. It stayed this way overnight and i'm surprised the propane alarm didn't go off, but I usually keep a window cracked on my side of the bed. Maybe that saved us.

The next day I noticed the knob was slightly turned, not "off". I turned it off and aired out the AS; no more garlic smell. [Whew!]

We had been having ants coming out of the area between the stove and the counter for several days. After we had the "gas incident", no more ants. At least something good came out of the experience.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I don't make mistakes, I make faulty executions.

My bone-head couple hours.

That link is for BH only.

Bob
Old 10-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
A great story! You know it's a good yarn when it includes the "aren't you the ones....." line.

I don't make mistakes either. I thought I did once, but I was wrong.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob

Thanks Bob for pointing me to "Favorite opps stories". These are great. Yes #42 101 "bridge off bridge on" is excellent.

Safe and happy travels.
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote