Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Merriam , KS
Wardrobe hanging closet rod fell

During an admittedly bumpy ride, we discovered the closet rod in the wardrobe of our 2017 Classic 30 had fallen.

My solution, since I can't get to the other side of the wall, is to drill a small hole in the holder/rod on each end and pin it in place. But I'm afraid it would just rip the screws out of the wall next time.

I found that the aft wall section of the wardrobe (the one against the shower) moved fore and aft with about a 3/4" travel, which is just enough for the rod to exit the holder. I understand AS not solidly securing the wall section. But I think some sort of backer block on the other side might be missing.

I'm not near a dealer to go check other Classic 30's. If you have one like ours, can you check yours and see if it is more solid than I'm describing?
DougC27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We have a privacy shade in between our closet and shower

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hamilton , Ohio
We has the same thing happen. I simply folded up some antiskid padding and pushed it in the both ends which created additional tension. Seems to work fine now.
ErnieDurbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Closet Rod Falling

We too experienced the case of the 'Falling Closet Rod'.

On a recent fly fishing trip in the Mountain West, our 2016 Classic's closet rod repeatedly detached from its wall bracket. Had never happened before on the 25,000 miles we traveled previously. Admittedly, there were lots of heavy clothes hanging on the rod and we were driving on some bumpy roads with significant switchbacks.

The reason for the detachment: the closet's wooden side wall (right side of closet) that the rod bracket is screwed into was shifting slightly while the rig was in transit causing the fixed length rod to fall out.

The solution: measure & bend a commonly available pre-drilled bracket (see below) and attach it to the already existing screw on the closet's back wall. I made certain that the closet's right side wall was 'pulled' tight to its original position before the bracket screw was tightened down (see below). The final step was to use a rivet in the bracket's remaining hole to ensure that the bracket would not shift overtime.

I hope this idea helps those having a similar issue. Safe travels.

Note: please rotate the photos for better viewing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	342030   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	342031  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	342032  
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Our 2016 Classic also has the privacy shade between the closet and the shower. Therefore, a backer block would not work for our rig.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote