Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 08:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Voyager camera died, wire inside

My Voyager camera died and while removing the camera the wires came unattached and went down the hole. How to I retrieve them? There seems to be a "larger than the hole" tube or conduit in-between the walls that I can't get. Any and all help will be much appreciated. I did order a replacement camera. Thanks again for all the help. Mike
mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
They are generally wired into the centre clearance light. If you can not reach the wire that came loose and dropped, I think you can simply pull out the wire from the clearance light and wire the new camera in.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Canton , OH
If you think the wire fell less than 2 feet, there are "grabber" tools available that are about 1/4" diameter and 24" long with four little bent flat wire "claws" that retract or open as you push/release a plunger on the other end. I have used one many times to retrieve bolts etc. that I have dropped in tight spaces. Maybe one of those would work. Most auto parts stores have them.
jwschnettl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
They are generally wired into the centre clearance light. If you can not reach the wire that came loose and dropped, I think you can simply pull out the wire from the clearance light and wire the new camera in.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:56 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwschnettl View Post
If you think the wire fell less than 2 feet, there are "grabber" tools available that are about 1/4" diameter and 24" long with four little bent flat wire "claws" that retract or open as you push/release a plunger on the other end. I have used one many times to retrieve bolts etc. that I have dropped in tight spaces. Maybe one of those would work. Most auto parts stores have them.

Thanks, it sounds like something I need in my toolbox anyway.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwschnettl View Post

Thank you it sounds like I should have one in my toolbox anyway.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
It is time for a skinny wire clothes hanger, a pair of needle nose pliers, and pair of dikes. Straighten out the hanger. On one end bens a "U" shaped hook. On the other bend a 90 degree handle in the same direction as the "U." I have fished many lost from view items that way.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2021 30' Globetrotter
East Northport , New York
No too long ago I picked up an inspection camera from harbor freight. It comes in handy for things like this.

https://www.harborfreight.com/27-in-...era-64623.html

It just bailed me out when replacing the factory Zamp combiner box with an AM Solar box. The 8 gauge wires were hung up and wouldn't pull through to reach the new bus bars. I dropped a couple of the ceiling lights inside the trailer and with the camera was able to identify that there was plenty of slack and a simple plastic stick on clip was holding the wire back. I taped a wire hook to the end of the camera and was able to guide it right to the wire and pull it free. Maybe overkill for your situation but an option if needed.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
It is time for a skinny wire clothes hanger, a pair of needle nose pliers, and pair of dikes. Straighten out the hanger. On one end bens a "U" shaped hook. On the other bend a 90 degree handle in the same direction as the "U." I have fished many lost from view items that way.
guskmg
Thanks, love the idea, as soon, or if it ever stops raining in Pa, I’ll give it a try.
Old 05-08-2021, 05:54 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker View Post
No too long ago I picked up an inspection camera from harbor freight. It comes in handy for things like this.

https://www.harborfreight.com/27-in-...era-64623.html

It just bailed me out when replacing the factory Zamp combiner box with an AM Solar box. The 8 gauge wires were hung up and wouldn't pull through to reach the new bus bars. I dropped a couple of the ceiling lights inside the trailer and with the camera was able to identify that there was plenty of slack and a simple plastic stick on clip was holding the wire back. I taped a wire hook to the end of the camera and was able to guide it right to the wire and pull it free. Maybe overkill for your situation but an option if needed.
Thanks, I have get one and start looking, always something. Thanks again.