Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #1
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Upgrade from 25 to 30 Footer? What is your experience?

How many of you have gone from a 25 Footer (Flying Cloud) to a 30 Foot Classic?

Wife and I are considering this move once things return to normal, which might be in two years the way things are looking now. We have zero interest in paying full suggested retail pricing either.

Our reason for wanting to upgrade is comfort level during our longer 2+ month long trips. It comes to sitting in the dinette - it isn't comfortable for my wife, so she prefers the sofa in the 30 Classic.

Anyway, what has the towing difference been. I've had situations where I've had to make a U Turn and my 25 footer barely made it without hitting the backside of the truck. I know this will be an issue. Also a bit more room when backing up - plus I am going to have to go from my Chevy 1/2 ton standard bed to at least a 3/4 ton Diesel (possibly a long bed too) at the time we decide to upgrade.

I know there are other things I haven't considered - like more limited slots in campgrounds - but has this been an overwhelming problem for you?

Next, what about all the pluses?

I am just wondering exactly what your overall experience had been so I will go in with eyes wide open if and when we decide to make this change down the road.

Thanks in advance!
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:34 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Box Elder , South Dakota
We went from a 26’ to 30’. We already had the F350 so the truck change wasn’t part of our equation. I will say I noticed nearly no difference towing the 30’. In some senses it tow s better perhaps because of where the axles are located relative to the 26? I love diesel for many reasons but one is definitely being able to fuel up at truck stop truck lanes while hitched up. We upgraded for similar reason you mentioned. We both work full time from the road and while the lounge/dinette in the 26 is great, it was our only sitting space. We started looking at 28’s because of the separate couch and dinette, but found a better deal on a 30’. No regrets!
Labeda14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We went from a 25' to a 30'. The biggest things we noticed is that we had 50 amps and when in a campground with 50 amp service we could do practically anything we wanted electrically inside the A/S. The 25' was 30 amp so that was a huge positive for us. We appreciated the additional storage space and have found that both our 30' have had plenty of storage. It was noticeable when fueling the additonal 5' makes when pulling away from pumps or trying to move through traffic. We did upgrade our Tow Vehicle from a 1500 to a 2500 when the time came although we had towed the 30' with the 1500 it wasn't happy. Having dual A/C to cool the additonal 5' was huge for us in the heat and humidity of Florida. We just ordered a new A/S and it's 30' as well. We did take the first 30' to Alaska and there were no issues traveling there and back. I believe you will be happy. Oh, one additional thing, our 25' had the RBQ side to side and it was a pain for me to get out of bed so I ended up getting out on the bottom and walking around the end of the bed. The 30' no problem with RBQ either side. Safe travels.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
We just went from a Int. 25FB to a 30’ FC Bunk. My feeling is size doesn’t matter. Actual livings spaces does makes it feel bigger...A bedroom, bathroom, bunk room for the kids, separate dinette, an entry, kitchen etc. My wife & I did a 1 month and a 2 month long trip in the 25 FB with our 5 & 8 yr old children and a Scottish terrier. Our #1 issue was converting the dinette into a bed every night. It wasn’t the process, it was the lost space. I do admit, the dinette wasn’t comfortable at all. The U shaped dinette in the FC Bunk is more comfortable than the 25’s.
Towing: the rear end of the 30’ kicks out like a school bus. You really need to be aware of your surroundings when cornering sharp or entering exiting gas stations. . Other than that...5 more feet. Gas mileage will drop. I’m assuming parking spots will be more limited.
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:53 PM   #5
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Went from a 25 to a 30. I always say the difference inside was much greater than the difference outside. That is, interior space gain felt much bigger than the negative impact (if any) on towing.

I also went from a 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton. In my case its a gasser. Plenty of oomph for a sub 10,000 lb trailer in my opinion.
Old 03-21-2021, 07:54 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Paradise , California
Our first TT, after borrowing my dads Class C a few times, was a 24' Tahoe Wide Lite back in 2012 ($5200). In '16 we upgraded to a 32' (35' + hitch bumper) with 2 huge slide outs. It was like a dance floor! We traveled with it no problem, as long as you planned ahead, then lived in it while building a house so it paid for itself. Realized it was just too much.

We sold it with the intention of getting something in the 25'-27' range, then Lisa walked into a 30' AS International. So we downsized a bit If you can handle a 25' you'll have no problem with a 5 more feet. The front lounge is very nice!

If you don't need a full 8' long bed, go with a shorter bed and save a few overall feet on the rig.

Sounds fun.
Ginophiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
You've already listed several drawbacks to a longer trailer based on your own experiences with a 25 footer so it sounds like you're being realistic about your considered upgrade.

Based on the replies you've received so far my opinion will likely be a minority one, but we went from a 30' Classic to a 25' Globetrotter for precisely the reasons that you've mentioned. The issue was never how the 30' trailer towed; that wasn't a problem behind my F250 diesel. But, on too many occasions, it was simply a matter of it being too much trailer for the places we wanted to take it including, but not limited to, having some campgrounds be unavailable to us, getting to more remote boondocking sites, negotiating some fueling stations and parking lots and even getting up and down our own steeply sloped driveway without scraping.

It's simple physics that if you have a situation that's tight for a 25 footer, it's going to be harder, and occasionally impossible, for a 30. If your travelling/camping style allows you to stay away from those situations, then you'll be fine with a 30 and will enjoy the extra room. It didn't work out for us.

FWIW, we have zero regrets about downsizing, other than spending the money on the wrong trailer (for us) in the first place.

Good luck with your decision.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #8
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Thank you all so much for the replies. You are all a great blessing!

We have only stayed in a couple of State Parks so far, but they all would have fit the 30 footer. Otherwise, we stay at mostly Good Sam's parks all from Texas to Montana, Colorado, New Mexico and a California State Park (that had 3 other 30 & 33 footers) and most recently to Boyd's RV Park in the Florida Keys. That was the tightest park I've stayed in and there were huge 5th wheels and 2 other 33 foot Classics parked there. That gave me hope seeing them back into such a tight space for sure. That was the tightest turn of a back-in I have done thus far. LOL!

Mike, you bring up one of the reasons we initially went with the 25 footer. I was concerned about getting into places like Yellowstone and many of the other National Parks. However, so far we haven't been able to get into no matter how far we've planned it out. Given what this year has brought on I can't see this situation improving anytime soon.

I am looking forward to what others have to offer on this subject, so keep them coming please!
Old 03-21-2021, 09:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Redmond , Washington
We went from a 23FC Bunk to 30 ft Bunk to 33 ft Classic. With a F250 we don't notice a big difference in towing. However, it's definitely a lot tighter at campgrounds with a larger camper. Luckily most of the places we like to go still fit our camper but it's fewer spots, so it's competitive to reserve.

We have no regrets moving up. Our kids love the 33 ft cinema and couch....we do too!

Good luck!
Alreddawg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It sounds like you are making two or three changes:

1) Going from 25' to 30'

2) Going from the FC to the Classic

3) (possibly) going to a new / with warranty / factory fresh AS.

I've always though that a 27' Classic would be a very cool option. It does not exist ..... so back to reality. If you want the sofa (which is comfy) and some of the other "nice stuff" you go to a 30' trailer. There is no plan B.

An interesting way to do this ( with some risk involved ):

Sell what you have now Get top dollar for it. Put the money in the bank.

If you are buying new, the traditional discounts are all pretty well known. Pick your dealer(s) and have a heart to heart / I can wait / delivery in a year is ok sort of conversation with them. I'd bet you will get your deal.

If you are buying used, sit tight and start shopping in a year or two.

In the mean time take that flight to New Zealand or Tahiti and cross that off the bucket list.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCurtis View Post
How many of you have gone from a 25 Footer (Flying Cloud) to a 30 Foot Classic?

Wife and I are considering this move once things return to normal, which might be in two years the way things are looking now. We have zero interest in paying full suggested retail pricing either.

Our reason for wanting to upgrade is comfort level during our longer 2+ month long trips. It comes to sitting in the dinette - it isn't comfortable for my wife, so she prefers the sofa in the 30 Classic.

Anyway, what has the towing difference been. I've had situations where I've had to make a U Turn and my 25 footer barely made it without hitting the backside of the truck. I know this will be an issue. Also a bit more room when backing up - plus I am going to have to go from my Chevy 1/2 ton standard bed to at least a 3/4 ton Diesel (possibly a long bed too) at the time we decide to upgrade.

I know there are other things I haven't considered - like more limited slots in campgrounds - but has this been an overwhelming problem for you?

Next, what about all the pluses?

I am just wondering exactly what your overall experience had been so I will go in with eyes wide open if and when we decide to make this change down the road.

Thanks in advance!
We have owned 25 and 30 footers. We recently went from a 30' to a 25' because of the limited campgrounds, especially in national parks.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:30 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Cameron Park , California
Bigger Better, a Question

At first, the extra length is everything, and soon enough the extra “space” will be full. More clothes, more food . . . books, bikes and bottles. And that does require more truck.

When Roberta and I visit aboard the big rigs, with four slides and a kitchen right out of a model home, we’re envious, but we notice the owners are often indoors. With smaller rigs, the outdoors has got to be part of the lifestyle.

Our Flying Cloud 30RB—actually 30’-11”, so a 31RB in reality—is nice (nice and full) but we’re only ever in one part of it at a time. Take out three feet in the middle or shrink some of the front cabin space, we’d probably not miss it.
Be honest with yourself, there’s gear you take along that might just as well be back home in the garage.

If you are indoor people, I suppose you just can’t have enough indoor space. We’re not . . .

I’ll give you this, we loke our relatively large refrigerator. Can’t image giving up the extra cubic feet. Just the two of us and it’s always packed.
John & Roberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 09:35 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
After two years we went from a front queen bed 2014 International Serenity 25' to a 2015 Classic 30 twin bed. So much more comfortable with the reclining couch seats and love the ample storage with the twin beds. Though we don't use the twin AC's that much in Oregon the ducted air distribution is a huge improvement. We had already upgraded our TV from a Range Rover HSE to a F350 diesel in February 2016 and found little change in the towing except for more care in turning to allow for the additional length. Had we know how much more comfortable the Classic 30 would be we would have started there. Good luck in your decision and safe travels.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:47 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
All good advice! For those of you who are unfamiliar with this. I came across a couple who upgrade their 2020 27' GT. They didnt like the uncomfortable dinette, so they upgraded to the "Grand Lounge" I have to say...it was a real upgrade. With two kids and a two month experience on the road converting the dinette, I had to step up to the 30' Bunk. ... Still... There is a convenience im going to miss with my 25'. Anyway...check this out... upgrading your existing unit is a great option.

http://ultimateairstream.com/about/
http://ultimateairstream.com/design-...model-catalog/
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:21 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
DW says we purchased our 3rd Airstream first; went with Classic 30. In just over 5 yrs, 479 nights aboard and 53K miles we still feel we made a perfect choice (for us). Separate seating areas, reclining sofa seats, lots of floorspace, big frig/freezer, lots of storage (we have never used it all), big closet, etc, etc. It is a big trailer and squaring turns is very important, but no problem at all to tow with our F250 diesel. We use a ProPride hitch, which in addition to being a wonderful WD/sway control system, also allows very sharp turns. I am still surprised at how little turn space is needed. One downside is of course that at 31 feet (we are 54" total) it is too big for many NP sites and several roads. It is also not well suited for boondocking where much in the way of clearance is involved. There is a LOT of trailer hanging out there behind the wheels. If we ever change Airstreams, it would be to another Classic 30, but we are so in love with this one, changing is not in mind. FYI - while the F250 is great, we would go with F350 next time. Our F250, with full 50 gal fuel, camper shell and me, weighs 8620. Add just over 1000# hitch weight and you are out of carrying capacity in short order.
2016 F250 KR 6.7 4x4 CC "Tex"
Members, NTAC
Boogieshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
IMO, going from a 26' FC to a 30 classic would be for the sofa. No matter how unique, sitting on a block of foam is still sitting on a block of foam. The rear bed location would be secondary, but good.
The classic also has more floor space available for the dog bed.
Having Corian countertops and raised panel doors adds a luxury feel. I'd have to spend some time sitting to see if it's worth it.
Maybe someday. (the 33' has no appeal to me.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:33 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
We have a 30' Sovereign (our first Airstream). When we replaced its axles (it'a 1964) we changed the down angle to give us more clearance under the trailer. That eliminated problem one with a longer trailer - dragging the tail end.

The U-Turn radius of a 30' vs a 25' isn't that different. The axles aren't actually 5' farther back (its a ratio thing). The tongue length of particular trailers will actually determine how close the trailer (or propane tanks) gets to the bumper of your towing vehicle.

My main findings have been: (i) Tight quarters are slightly more difficult - you need to plan turns more strategically and admit defeat when necessary (certain fuel pumps, camp sites, do-it-yourself car washes); (ii) Campgrounds typically have sites available for certain length RVs - with a 30' trailer you'll be competing for the longer ones (but that is sometimes a benefit as those sites are often premiere ones with wider and longer spacing - not a bad thing as the owners stack smaller trailers closer together); (iii) Not all sites have 50 amp service.

A larger factor in your original question was whether you get a 3/4 ton in short or long bed versions. The long bed truck will have a larger turning circle than the short bed one (more of a factor than the trailer length).

And of course - go diesel.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
We went from a 25 to a 30 after a five month 15K mile trip with three dogs. The increased length isn't much of a problem. We already had a 3/4 ton diesel. Our truck is a long bed. My next truck will be a 6 3/4 foot bed. Hitched up now the rig is 50 feet long. I do have to pick my camp spots a little more carefully. So their is a limit of some places you take it.
Towing is not much different. We do get about 1 MPG less when towing compared to our 25.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1996 25' Excella
Midland , Ontario
25' ` 30'

We have a 25' Classic that has flip up tables we use as a dinette with our couch. It serves the purpose and we leave them up for the majority of time without affecting our comfort and tow with a V6 Durango.
Our TV serves our purposes with or without the trailer and a 25' will fit virtually in all campgrounds. Going from a 30A to a 50A is just adding a 2nd A/C IMO but it's all a matter of choice. Good luck !
Aprilrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:44 AM   #20
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
You folks are awesome! Thank you so much!

We are mostly outdoors as well when the weather is decent. The problem shows up on rainy days when you are stuck inside. We experienced this during the Texas winter weather last month as we made our way to Florida over a week long trip.

Since we recently retired now we plan on being on the road during the winter months as well. This is when things started exposing itself with the design of the 25 footer.

We also plan our trips months in advance. We don't like winging it like some do - not knowing exactly where they will be staying the day they hit the road.

I think I will plan my next few trips with the 30 footer in mind and see how it goes. I will come back to this thread over time and update what I discover. It might be helpful for others considering this going forward.

Thanks again everybody! This is very helpful to us!