Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Trip Plan - UT 2 NH Feb 2018

If I have to execute this trip, I'll have time to sprint and drift, hole up or circumnavigate. Any recommendations after dropping south to Las Vegas and turning East? Where to turn North / North-East to thread the needle w/o getting on I-95? Canada highways are an option, conceptually; don't know about practically for winter driving?

The plan would not include driving on snow or below freezing.

Or wait until ___ months later?

We traveled to UT from TX early January '17 between all those storms and only saw snow falling once in Cedar City UT, light and safely driveable.

New Michelin LXT S/M's, and not max-loaded TT & TV. No chains, and wouldn't tow if I needed chains.

Thanks to all for input, wherever you are on the bell-curve.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Having lived a lot of places along that route, it's an iffy proposition. A lot depends on just how the winter plays out. You should plan on running with anti-freeze in the water system.

No matter what the season, you have wind to cope with on that journey. There is no magic route to get you around that. Wind and snow often come at the same time, but not always. You will have two things to dodge around as you go down the road.

Please don't take this as a *recommendation* it very much is not. It's only a "lesser of the evils" sort of route:

Head over to Indianapolis rather than Chicago. You are south of the lake effect snow that way. Then to Columbus. Then I-70 to I-76. Get off 76 about a mile from here and go over to I-81. Head up to Scranton and then across I-84 to Hartford. Straight up into NH from there or over to the Boston area depending on exactly where you are headed.

Since it's ski season in February, Friday through Sunday are not good days to be on the roads in the hills. That pretty much includes everything after you cross into PA.

If you get this far and are trapped, I have spare bedrooms and at least six beers on tap at all times

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
The route Bob suggested is what I recommend as well. 81 to 84 is how we always make our way up to New England or the Maritime provinces. We traveled last winter in sub 20F weather and had the Alde on as well as tank heaters and did not run into any issues with freezing. We kept the Alde at 70F and when we stopped for lunch or at night we were always pleasantly surprised at just how nice and warm the Airstream was.

We plan on being in FL at the time you plan on traveling so we will not be around. Lots of potential storms that time of year as in Western PA February is our "dead of winter" time. But then the past two years no big deal at all.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Last year when I did that exact trip, St George to Manchester, I turned north at Oklahoma City. However, doing it in February is CRAZY, only because that is the worst time for storms in the Northeast, we can be quiet all season and then get nailed in February. Being that time of year, I would stay as far south as possible as long as possible and then turn north and make a mad dash up the East coast, timed to 3 perfect days of weather. Of course, those late winter ice storms in Tennessee and Georgia can be even worse..
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:00 AM   #5
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
If ya take 81 and 84 in February, I can tell ya it ain't fun. I can't imagine you would get through this trip without snow. But then again, New Hampshire in February ain't exactly a resort desitination either....

Why that place at that time outta curiosity?
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
If ya take 81 and 84 in February, I can tell ya it ain't fun. I can't imagine you would get through this trip without snow. But then again, New Hampshire in February ain't exactly a resort desitination either....

Why that place at that time outta curiosity?
Thanks, just seems like after 40 Years at sea level and salt air, everytime we try to move inland or up in elevation, doesn't last long. It is for possible job relocation for my better half to finish her VA RN gig to get a bit of a retirement check, then settle down for roots in NE, not too far from the coast.

Thanks all for your advice, very good input. The Old Farmer's Almanac has a light precipitation for Utah this winter, but normal or more for NE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Last year when I did that exact trip, St George to Manchester, I turned north at Oklahoma City. However, doing it in February is CRAZY, only because that is the worst time for storms in the Northeast, we can be quiet all season and then get nailed in February. Being that time of year, I would stay as far south as possible as long as possible and then turn north and make a mad dash up the East coast, timed to 3 perfect days of weather. Of course, those late winter ice storms in Tennessee and Georgia can be even worse..
Old 09-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Thanks, just seems like after 40 Years at sea level and salt air, everytime we try to move inland or up in elevation, doesn't last long. It is for possible job relocation for my better half to finish her VA RN gig to get a bit of a retirement check, then settle down for roots in NE, not too far from the coast.

Thanks all for your advice, very good input. The Old Farmer's Almanac has a light precipitation for Utah this winter, but normal or more for NE.
Hi

We did a Kansas to New England move in February a while back. It was for job related reasons ( = paycheck is a good thing). That particular year, all it did was rain on us pretty much the whole time. Still no fun, but not anything to go crazy about.

Bob
Old 09-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #8
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
How'd you know I was going to Manchester? [emoji3] But don't you think my 3500 diesel 4x4 with leaf springs, PPP, and Airforum open on the phone in my hands free clamp would overcome any amount of snow, ice, wind, and common sense? If you are going to be in St George, got a 120 v outlet and drive way I can use? [emoji6] After the beer at uncle bobs, I should be able to make Manchester in less than 10 hours driving 75 mph.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Speaking of 120V outlets and plugging in while traveling. One really handy thing to have is a 50A to 15A / 120V adapter plug. It goes into your 50A shore power inlet and immediately necks down to a normal 120V plug. Hauling out a conventional extension cord in freezing temperatures is *way* easier than the 50A monster. It's also a lot less crazy to abandon one if it now is frozen to the ground under a couple inches (or feet ...) of ice and snow.

Bob
Old 09-06-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Speaking of 120V outlets and plugging in while traveling. One really handy thing to have is a 50A to 15A / 120V adapter plug. It goes into your 50A shore power inlet and immediately necks down to a normal 120V plug. Hauling out a conventional extension cord in freezing temperatures is *way* easier than the 50A monster. It's also a lot less crazy to abandon one if it now is frozen to the ground under a couple inches (or feet ...) of ice and snow.

Bob
Got link? Sounds very interesting.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Got link? Sounds very interesting.
Hi

I picked this one by the time honored "first one I found" method:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No idea if it's the cheapest or the best. So far it's done the job for me.

Bob
Old 09-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #12
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Gr8, thx. Perfect.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Keep South - I hate I-70

If you are starting out in Las Vegas, then I would recommend staying South and head East along I-40 until at least Memphis or Nashville, then take I-65 North to I-64 and head East again to Morgantown, WV, then I-68 (eventually 700 East to about Hagerstown, MD, then I-81 all the way North to Scranton, PA and eventually I-84 to the East.
I have driven across country from MD to the Four Corners states most every year since the early 1980's. I hate I-70 = boring, a lot of traffic, often construction and it is in really poor condition in OHIO, and often in Indiana.
These other routes, especially 64 and 68 will have much less traffic.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
I highly recommend the adapters Bob posted. I have several - 50amp to 30amp; 50amp to 15/20amp; and I also carry left over the 30amp days several plugs which go from 15amp to 30amp. I've at one point used them all.

NH is nice in the winter-but I prefer FL.

Bud
Old 09-07-2017, 10:46 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I highly recommend the adapters Bob posted. I have several - 50amp to 30amp; 50amp to 15/20amp; and I also carry left over the 30amp days several plugs which go from 15amp to 30amp. I've at one point used them all.

NH is nice in the winter-but I prefer FL.

Bud
Hi

That's one other plus for them, they are cheap enough and small enough that having several isn't going to break the bank (or back) like having a bunch of those blasted 50A cables .....

The only downside I've found is that they eliminate my plug in EMS box. In this case a hardwired uint would have been a better choice. I'm still trying to figure out why the dealer was so opposed to the idea ....

Bob
Old 09-08-2017, 04:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
I still use the EMS no matter what type of connections I have to use. In storage now, I have a 110 hook up. I have an adapter plug, male 110-female 30amp. I plug in a 30amp ems then plug in a 30amp extension cord I have and run it to the trailer and there I have a 50amp-30amp pigtail set up and plug the 30amp extension cord into the 30amp pigtail end. All lights come on as they should, showing everything is ok. I called the manufacturer of the unit and they said it's fine.

Bud
Old 09-08-2017, 05:26 AM   #17
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I still use the EMS no matter what type of connections I have to use. In storage now, I have a 110 hook up. I have an adapter plug, male 110-female 30amp. I plug in a 30amp ems then plug in a 30amp extension cord I have and run it to the trailer and there I have a 50amp-30amp pigtail set up and plug the 30amp extension cord into the 30amp pigtail end. All lights come on as they should, showing everything is ok. I called the manufacturer of the unit and they said it's fine.

Bud
Now that, is a Daisy Chain[emoji6]
Old 09-08-2017, 06:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Now that, is a Daisy Chain[emoji6]

Daisy chain for sure, looks more weird even than it sounds. But, hopefully it will protect her while in storage, I've also disconnected all devices in the trailer, except converter, lights etc.