Old 03-11-2020, 05:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Tank sensor cleaning

May be time for me to clean the sensors in my tanks. We euro style for the black tank, so no TP now the hole.

Both my grey and black tanks register as 60% full even when completely empty. Iíve tried filling and emptying a few times but itís not doing the trick. I was thinking that it may be hard water built up?

Any tricks on clearing the sensors?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 05:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We run our black tank on tide liquid detergent and Calgon water softener. It seems to keep the sensors working all the time while traveling. We have been in Palm Springs now for almost 2 months and I noticed the sensors acting up. Not traveling will cause the inside of the tank to collect stuff. I hook up a hose to the black tank spinner and flush, fill, flush. I add the soap and water softener and fill the tank. I let it sit for an hour and turn the flush on and drop the tank water in the sewer. Fill again and flush out the water. If you watch your sensors on your phone while doing this you will see the point at which it either stops or jumps from a low level to high almost immediately. That is the point you need to work on.

I also vary the water pressure on the flush water so the spray hits different points inside the tank. Eventually, all the sensors will start to work.

You can use a capful of tide and Calgon in the grey tank also. Put the ingredients in and fill the tank. Let it sit for an hour and drain. Fill again with fresh water and drain. Watch your sensors as you do this to see if they are improving.

Our Google images and chat: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CMQbpNXQwapMnj8t9
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Granbury , Texas
Tank Cleaning

For my black water tank, I will flush and fill 2-3 times; then fill the tank to about 2/3 full with fresh water. I will then flush a Walex Commando pack down the toilet. Works best if you are moving to a new location and have the sloshing effect. Leave it in the tank for a day then drain. Works for 2-3 months.

For my gray water tank, I use the Walex Elemonate tablets. Dissolve them in the drains of the sinks and shower. More of a deodorizer than a crud remover, but it helps.

I have not had level indication problems on the gray water; only the black water.

The Walex stuff is available in the RV section of most Walmarts.
Aircats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
My black water sensor on my 2007 19’ Bambi is located near the black water drain valve elbow on the black pvc pipe. It started acting up showing that it was empty all the time. There is a telephone cord jack that attaches to the sensor to send the reading to the monitor in the coach. That jack was corroded. I cleaned the contacts and that worked for a short time. The manufacturer said I would eventually need a new sensor , which was correct. New sensor from a Micro Pulse was $50.00. I replaced the telephone jack connector and presto! Problem solved. Assuming you have the Micro Pulse system.
Hope this helps.
Ken
pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:51 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
PS
I believe these Micro Pulse sensors work on liquid pressure because of where they are located. So tank cleanliness might not effect them that greatly. I did extensive tank cleaning to no avail. Replacing the sensor and the cord jack plug with input from the Micro Pulse technician solved the problem.
Ken
Old 03-18-2020, 09:01 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Below is a thread from RFP that outlines the problem and the fix with pics.
Ken

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44...or-149282.html
Old 03-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Iíll look into this. Donít know if the classic uses a different sensor for the firefly connection or not.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
FYI

There have been quite a few threads/posts on this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Clea...=airforums.com

The primary preventative move IMO is to be on the road a lot, and let the road action take care of things. Some folks dump ice cubes down the toilet before hitting the road.

Good luck,

Peter

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:18 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
When we picked up our new 2019 Classic 30 the black water tank read 20%. We opened both valves in the parking lot and it was indeed empty. The service manager said the sensors in 2019 had changed from the previous design. They were now ultrasonic and didn't get blinded like the old style and, in fact, there was nothing inside the tank anymore. It turned out that sloppy wiring was our problem and a powered wire was laying across the sensor on the black water tank. The electrical field around the wire was creating the false reading in the sensor.