Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2023, 07:58 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
Go do the trip. Lots of people are doing it every day in any type of vehicle imaginable, travel trailers, motor homes, fifth wheels, motorcycles. Chances are you'll make it. Very small chance the bears will get you.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:42 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
All this talk makes me want to go again!!!’
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 07:38 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Westiehouse - could you post a photo of your protective cover for the fresh water valve? Many thanks.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2023, 08:33 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
One other idea about going to Alaska.

We have found that 4-5 weeks on the road at one stretch is enough. There are certainly those who love being on the road for months at a time. That is not us. We particularly like being home for July which is the hottest and most heavily travelled month of the year.

Both times we have been to Alaska, we spent 4+ weeks getting there and stopping along the way. Then we left the rig in Alaska. One time in Fairbanks and the other time in Anchorage. We flew home to stay for a month and then returned for another month on the road for the return trip. Storing the rig and flying home is way cheaper than driving home. It is a pause that refreshes and reconnects with loved ones.

This is a different rhythm to travel than many do, but one we have enjoyed. This works not just for Alaska. We did the same thing travelling to the Canadian Maritimes (left rig in Bar Harbor), California (left rig in Fresno), and Far West (left rig in Bismarck).
jnm30327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:03 AM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

One thing we found in Alaska was that July was a pretty nice month to be there. That's not always true, but it certainly was last year.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 05:51 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

One thing we found in Alaska was that July was a pretty nice month to be there. That's not always true, but it certainly was last year.

Bob

Typically June is the nicest month and nearly always sunny. July can be hit or miss but is typically a bit rainy. August is nearly always rainy and the temperature is starting to decline. YMMV.
AKNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 11:08 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
Westiehouse - could you post a photo of your protective cover for the fresh water valve? Many thanks.
Here is my latest version using a pickle ball instead of a tennis ball. The pickle ball is similar to a whiffle ball and provides better protection than a tennis ball. In addition it airs out nicely and has holes to connect the bungy cord. I used a good pair of scissors to make the cuts needed.

Trivia: Pickle ball was invented on Bainbridge Island here in Washington State in 1965 and is our official state sport.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2308.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	430354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2307.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	430355  

Old 04-19-2023, 04:05 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm30327 View Post
One other idea about going to Alaska.

We have found that 4-5 weeks on the road at one stretch is enough. There are certainly those who love being on the road for months at a time. That is not us. We particularly like being home for July which is the hottest and most heavily travelled month of the year.

Both times we have been to Alaska, we spent 4+ weeks getting there and stopping along the way. Then we left the rig in Alaska. One time in Fairbanks and the other time in Anchorage. We flew home to stay for a month and then returned for another month on the road for the return trip. Storing the rig and flying home is way cheaper than driving home. It is a pause that refreshes and reconnects with loved ones.

This is a different rhythm to travel than many do, but one we have enjoyed. This works not just for Alaska. We did the same thing travelling to the Canadian Maritimes (left rig in Bar Harbor), California (left rig in Fresno), and Far West (left rig in Bismarck).
That is a great idea. How do you find places to store the rig short term?
Slimpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 06:45 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimpockets View Post
That is a great idea. How do you find places to store the rig short term?
We always seem to come up with something. The problem is that you can't set it up very far ahead of time. The storage places live on a very short time line and calling in midwinter about next summer gets you nowhere. They tell you to call back closer to the day. What I count on is that folks who use storage for the winter often have their rigs out during the summer, so space opens up.

I google the town with "rv storage" and see what comes up usually about 2 weeks ahead of time. It also sometimes turns out that the rig needs some work, and the repair shop needs a month to get to it anyway. It sits on their lot. That was the case in Fairbanks and Fresno.

In Bismarck, our last night before flying home was in a KOA. The owner let us leave the rig in a storage area at the campground. He even pulled it out and put it in a camping spot for us the day we returned. Very nice guy!

A couple of times events intervened. In once case, we were in Edmonton, AB and had to go home for 3 days to go to a funeral. We used an off-site parking area at the airport. That is too expensive for more than a few days. Another time, we got trapped in Haines, AK when the Alaska State Ferry went on strike. We had plans to go to Juneau and Glacier Bay and had to fly there on a commuter airline. This meant leaving the rig for 5 days. We left it in a state park campsite near Haines.

The worst trouble we have had was in Anchorage last summer where we had to call several places before finding a spot. It always works out.

One other obvious issue is that I use the TV as personal transportation at home, so leaving it in a faraway place leaves us with 1 vehicle at home for a month. We are both retired so we are able to work it out. And Lyft/Uber can be used in a pinch.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:39 AM   #50
TrvlTin

2023 30' Globetrotter
Boulder , Colorado
Take my Classic 33FB to Alaska?

Just got my Copy! I’m looking forward to new adventures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2680.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	430501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2681.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	799.3 KB
ID:	430502  

TrvlngTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:01 AM   #51
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm30327 View Post
We always seem to come up with something. The problem is that you can't set it up very far ahead of time. The storage places live on a very short time line and calling in midwinter about next summer gets you nowhere. They tell you to call back closer to the day. What I count on is that folks who use storage for the winter often have their rigs out during the summer, so space opens up.

I google the town with "rv storage" and see what comes up usually about 2 weeks ahead of time. It also sometimes turns out that the rig needs some work, and the repair shop needs a month to get to it anyway. It sits on their lot. That was the case in Fairbanks and Fresno.

In Bismarck, our last night before flying home was in a KOA. The owner let us leave the rig in a storage area at the campground. He even pulled it out and put it in a camping spot for us the day we returned. Very nice guy!

A couple of times events intervened. In once case, we were in Edmonton, AB and had to go home for 3 days to go to a funeral. We used an off-site parking area at the airport. That is too expensive for more than a few days. Another time, we got trapped in Haines, AK when the Alaska State Ferry went on strike. We had plans to go to Juneau and Glacier Bay and had to fly there on a commuter airline. This meant leaving the rig for 5 days. We left it in a state park campsite near Haines.

The worst trouble we have had was in Anchorage last summer where we had to call several places before finding a spot. It always works out.

One other obvious issue is that I use the TV as personal transportation at home, so leaving it in a faraway place leaves us with 1 vehicle at home for a month. We are both retired so we are able to work it out. And Lyft/Uber can be used in a pinch.
Hi

I would second the idea that campgrounds tend to have "storage space" that is available for short periods. Sometimes it's a campsite that needs repair to the power/ water / TV / sewer ....

Bob
Old 04-21-2023, 07:27 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

Boise , ID
It really looked like Ship Creek RV park in Anchorage had several RVs in storage when I was there last July. They rent RVs so they keep them there as well. I can’t say it’s the nicest park but it’s fine. It’s also down by the train tracks and maybe not the best area of town, but again, it’s fine. My guess is they’d have room for you and it’s not far from the airport.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:20 AM   #53
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker View Post
It really looked like Ship Creek RV park in Anchorage had several RVs in storage when I was there last July. They rent RVs so they keep them there as well. I can’t say it’s the nicest park but it’s fine. It’s also down by the train tracks and maybe not the best area of town, but again, it’s fine. My guess is they’d have room for you and it’s not far from the airport.
Hi

But the train only goes by every few hours. The horn only blows for 5 minutes or so when the do. Since it's a commercial district (and right down the street from the train yard / station) none of that is likely to change.

It also makes for some great debates over breakfast. Who caught which trains at which hours last night. Wonderfull way to start the day

We didn't stay there any longer than the minimum to get a couple of things done.

Bob
Old 04-23-2023, 06:38 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
FWIW:

We used Publix Storage in Anchorage last summer. Very secure.

We camped at Centennial Park Campground.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:25 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Noticed this on the Yukon territory road conditions .ca web site:

"Starting at 12:01 pm Thursday April 13, 2023 – 75% legal axle loading shall be implemented on all secondary roads in Yukon".

Does anyone know if this is something we should be concerned about?

Thanks,
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 07:07 AM   #56
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Noticed this on the Yukon territory road conditions .ca web site:

"Starting at 12:01 pm Thursday April 13, 2023 – 75% legal axle loading shall be implemented on all secondary roads in Yukon".

Does anyone know if this is something we should be concerned about?

Thanks,
Hi

You will see these signs on side roads, both in northern Canada and in Alaska. Normally if you dig into it, they are talking about commercial vehicles with major axle loading. ( = it does not apply to you). Without going back to the actually rule or talking to a lawyer, there's no way to be 100% sure that is the case.

The sort of roads they apply to are (from what I've seen) dirt roads that you would not likely tow a trailer down. Once you have un-hitched, it's a pretty good bet that your TV complies with the regulation (if it does happen to apply to you).

Bob
Old 04-25-2023, 03:02 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Thanks, Bob, for the clarification!
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote