Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
All, not concerned with sway. And rig/tv fairly level. Just concerned about safety. Tongue weight already 1,200 lbs. before cap put on. Seems like the SuperSpring idea is not bad.
Not sure why you are worrying about your tongue weight because you should be well within your limit at 1200 lbs (See Chart from Chevy manual) and your cap won't affect that at all. It your payload and GVWR you need to be concerned about. Have you had your truck weighed loaded for travel? Do you know what your trucks specs are?

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Pickup truck
Towing capacity: 13,000 lbs
Payload: 2,975 to 3,583 lbs
Curb weight: 5,717 to 6,689 lbs
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsatwork View Post
Not sure why you are worrying about your tongue weight because you should be well within your limit at 1200 lbs (See Chart from Chevy manual) and your cap won't affect that at all. It your payload and GVWR you need to be concerned about. Have you had your truck weighed loaded for travel? Do you know what your trucks specs are?

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Pickup truck

Towing capacity: 13,000 lbs

Payload: 2,975 to 3,583 lbs

Curb weight: 5,717 to 6,689 lbs

Tongue weight of 2018 Classic 33 is 1175 lbs w/o batteries and propane. Loaded before WD is 1275 lbs.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Sumo Springs

Even though this does not pass muster with some forum readers, Our F-150 with the equalizer hitch was level and the truck with max tow handled the 25 ft trailer with no huge problems. Some slight annoying bounce on back roads. Equalizer looked at my set up and said its as good as it gets.

Just because I like trial and error and with a huge Christmas discount I tried a set of 1500 lb sumo springs which replace the factory Ford bump stops. The good news truck handles great without the trailer and it handles better with the trailer . The bad news was with the install the truck did not settle as much. 1.5 inches less. So I had to re-adjust the hitch. Pretty happy with the ride and set up now.

I’ve read of GM 2500 and F-250 owners using these springs for fifth wheel applications. Still important to have the hitch weight set up proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
I have a similar setup. 2017 F250 gas with cap and 30' trailer. I am able to level fairly well with my Equalizer but have thought about adding Timbren springs, which are similar to summo. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Also interested in hearing thoughts.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:10 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Quote:
Tongue weight of 2018 Classic 33 is 1175 lbs w/o batteries and propane. Loaded before WD is 1275 lbs.
The graphic that didn't attach from the manual showed his tongue weight is 1500 lbs
Old 02-07-2019, 12:28 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
Even though this does not pass muster with some forum readers, Our F-150 with the equalizer hitch was level and the truck with max tow handled the 25 ft trailer with no huge problems. Some slight annoying bounce on back roads. Equalizer looked at my set up and said its as good as it gets.

Just because I like trial and error and with a huge Christmas discount I tried a set of 1500 lb sumo springs which replace the factory Ford bump stops. The good news truck handles great without the trailer and it handles better with the trailer . The bad news was with the install the truck did not settle as much. 1.5 inches less. So I had to re-adjust the hitch. Pretty happy with the ride and set up now.

I’ve read of GM 2500 and F-250 owners using these springs for fifth wheel applications. Still important to have the hitch weight set up proper.
I tow an Airstream 27FB 7600lbs GVWR with a Silverado 1500 Max Tow package with equalizer hitch and 1000lbs tongue weight. It also towed fine, in regards to sway, never had any sway at all. But I did have some bounce, so I replaced my shocks at 40k mileage with Bilstein 4600 and upgraded my passenger tires with 10 ply E rated Michelin defenders. Also added airlift 5000 premium but, bounce wasn't corrected until the new Bilsteins went on. Sometimes you just need better parts to make it all work.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #26

2018 30' Classic
Onancock , Virginia
Quote:
Pull 2018 Classic 33 with 2015 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax, Equalizer hitch, 1400 lb WD bars. Also have a Leer cap on truck bed. Airstream pulls fine, little sway. I was wondering if installation of SuperSprings would be a safe addition. Anyone have input for me?

DeltaRon,
We tow a 2018 30' classic with the Chevy HD2500 crew cab. We experienced sway and switched to a Hensley Hitch. I don't know what the Super Springs cost but I have NEVER regretted the $3000.00 for the Hensley. Shortly after we installed the Hensley we drove thru a badly marked construction zone at 60MPH and the road twisted like a pretzel. My wife was driving and her hands were white on the wheel. When we were thru the spot she looked over at me and said "this hitch just paid for itself". I can't recommend this hitch any stronger. We drive with complete confidence now.
summerwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:18 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
I would install Firestone airbags instead of more springs. The airbags give you the ability to fine tune your suspension or let all of the air out for a factory smooth ride. I have airbags on my F250 and use the same equalizer hitch you do but i keep about 5 to 10psi in the bags when towing. This does very little with lifting the rear but it is a noticeable improvement when going over bumps and dips. I didn't install the bags for use with the Airstream but was pleasantly surprised with the results.

I have needed the extra lift when hauling my golf cart in the bed of the truck and towing the Airstream. We have a 25FB which has a very heavy tongue weight. This setup has been all over the US so i know how it feels.......

"Life is a team sport"
czunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:02 PM   #28

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by czunc View Post
I would install Firestone airbags instead of more springs. The airbags give you the ability to fine tune your suspension or let all of the air out for a factory smooth ride. I have airbags on my F250 and use the same equalizer hitch you do but i keep about 5 to 10psi in the bags when towing. This does very little with lifting the rear but it is a noticeable improvement when going over bumps and dips. I didn't install the bags for use with the Airstream but was pleasantly surprised with the results.

I have needed the extra lift when hauling my golf cart in the bed of the truck and towing the Airstream. We have a 25FB which has a very heavy tongue weight. This setup has been all over the US so i know how it feels.......

You mentioned hauling a golf cart in the truck, is yours a short or long bed truck? I have the 6’6” bed on my F350 and am wondering if a cart will fit in mine.
Thanks!
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Short bed or 6’9”. I have a lifted clays cart and the rear tires end right at the end of the bed. You will have to take the tailgate off to tow. I plan on switching to a long bed once the new 2020 super duty’s come in so I can leave the tailgate on.

"Life is a team sport"
czunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Sumo Springs

I almost went with the Air lift bag option. Last minute decision and switched to the Sumo Springs. Empty they do not give a hard ride and like you explanation on the air bags help going over bumps and dips. Firestone makes a good product.
https://www.supersprings.com
https://www.supersprings.com/instruc...SSR-127-47.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by czunc View Post

Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerwind View Post
DeltaRon,
We tow a 2018 30' classic with the Chevy HD2500 crew cab. We experienced sway and switched to a Hensley Hitch. I don't know what the Super Springs cost but I have NEVER regretted the $3000.00 for the Hensley. Shortly after we installed the Hensley we drove thru a badly marked construction zone at 60MPH and the road twisted like a pretzel. My wife was driving and her hands were white on the wheel. When we were thru the spot she looked over at me and said "this hitch just paid for itself". I can't recommend this hitch any stronger. We drive with complete confidence now.
Why would you maintain a speed of 60 mph in a badly marked construction zone in the first place?
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
SuperSprings

I’d bet no warning for the construction zone, traffic pushing them, and no safe way to slow way down in a timely manner.

Had similar surprises in downtown Phoenix except it required full lock-up braking to miss some of the fun events in their rush hour traffic with obvious unpredictable drivers. Never again...thank the gods that I have a ProPride and properly adjusted trailer brake controller. Smoked all eight tires on one stupid panic stop by someone that jammed brakes for a piece of cardboard lying flat in the lane. I kid you not.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:19 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
SuperSprings

Airhead, had to give up my ProPride I had on my old trailer when I upgraded to the 2018 Classic 33. The only outside storage is on the front under the queen bed. The ProPride towers prevent entry to that storage space. The strap system for ProPride does not have good reviews.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:53 AM   #34
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Airhead, had to give up my ProPride I had on my old trailer when I upgraded to the 2018 Classic 33. The only outside storage is on the front under the queen bed. The ProPride towers prevent entry to that storage space. The strap system for ProPride does not have good reviews.
That would be a tough call, new trailer and ditch the PPP. Have you considered a chain link spring bar loader like an old school WDH?
In my prior career, "can't" was an acronym for Challenge All Notional Thinking. And I'm just going to go on record, that I believe 'Obviously' is a bully word. You said neither. [emoji12]