Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Suggestions on whate/where in rear storage

Being new to the life, I'm struggling in how to use the rear storage (underbed, outside access) area. Most stuff has found a home inside the trailer. The TV has an ARE shell on it so much is going in there. (Generator, outside rug, gas for genset, poo-wagon, tools, chocks and things that I need quick access to for both the trailer and the truck.

I'm left with odds & ends like chairs, collapsible wagon (that the wife just won't give up yet), hoses, cords, etc.. There are two levels and the cords & hoses fit on the lower level nicely, but that means I have to unpack nearly the whole compartment to get to them. Chairs & wagon only fit on top, but I haven't found an efficient way to fit it in. I'm not running out of space, but efficiency and access seem to be the stumbling blocks.

Any suggestions/pictures on how to utilize this space?
Ephraim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Water filter in nifty plastic bin fits perfect next to city water connection.

Fresh hose is in the outside storage locker on the curb side.

Read bumper has all my awning tools, front jack manual crank, 4ft level for trailer, and hose for black tank cleanout.

Under bed: under floor storage has my power cables and all of the connectors to downsize as well as my road hazard triangles and road flares. Above has my tool box on the left side with viair pump behind it. On the other side fits our airstream chairs. Middle panel has our wagon on it. For me to access the below floor storage I just have to remove the wagon. All electrical stuff is accessed by the middle panel.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Street side under bed storage has the 50A power cable. Best change I've made so far. No lugging it any further than the minimum distance.

Back end storage on the lower level gets stuff like tools and parts that only come out when something crazy has happened. They all stay there 95% of the time. Normal use stuff goes on top of them (chairs / rug / table ).

Sewer hoses all go in the bumper along with the associated adapters. Drive 20 miles down a dirt road and whatever's in there will be filthy.

Passenger side under bed gets the water hoses / leveling blocks / chocks and odds and ends. Hauling the hose around to the other side is a *lot* easier than hauling that power cord .....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Put your surgical gloves in a plastic bin in rear bumper by sewer hose (in case you want to dump holding tanks or do some surgery al fresco.)

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:14 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Callao , Virginia
Sounds like my compartments Bob. I did put some weather striping on the outer edges of the bumper compartment that has helped with the dust.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:12 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Street side under bed storage has the 50A power cable. Best change I've made so far. No lugging it any further than the minimum distance.

Back end storage on the lower level gets stuff like tools and parts that only come out when something crazy has happened. They all stay there 95% of the time. Normal use stuff goes on top of them (chairs / rug / table ).

Sewer hoses all go in the bumper along with the associated adapters. Drive 20 miles down a dirt road and whatever's in there will be filthy.

Passenger side under bed gets the water hoses / leveling blocks / chocks and odds and ends. Hauling the hose around to the other side is a *lot* easier than hauling that power cord .....

Bob
Hmm, good idea on the sewer hose. Never thought of that. My bumper storage is empty because I couldn't figure out what to put in there after I took out all the Equalizer stuff (switched to Pro Pride).
Froglips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:

Passenger side under bed gets the water hoses / leveling blocks / chocks and odds and ends. Hauling the hose around to the other side is a *lot* easier than hauling that power cord
Bob
I'l have to agree with you on that power cord. That thing is HEAVY. I carry two cords now. I picked up a 100' 10ga Monster extension cord and put a trailer end on it. We intend on visiting family that do not have hookups at their houses and the 10ga is rated for 15 amps. That will allow me to run the microwave and battery charger. I've measured the current on the air conditioners and even though they are on 20 amp circuits, they draw under 15 amps. I suppose I could run one, but if I need that, I'll pull out the generator. One air conditioner puts the power draw right at the limit of the cord and most house breakers.

I'm curious about the sewer hoses in the bumper. Do you not use the hose storage pipe under the trailer?
Old 05-13-2019, 07:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Ditto.
In addition I keep the Surge protector and a 30 amp cable for times when I can't use the 50 amp, in addition a few sections of coax for cable and some light wheel chocks.
Quote:
Ditto, except for the dirt. I guess I haven't driven dirt roads, mine is clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
I'm curious about the sewer hoses in the bumper. Do you not use the hose storage pipe under the trailer?
No, at least not yet.
Most things won't fit in the tube, so keeping them together makes sense (to me). I might use the tube for an extension section of hose.
BTW, I like the latex gloves from Harbor Freight. A box of 100 is about $6. I used to use heavy rubber gloves but I decided they probably get contaminated over time.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Please make sure you WASH YOUR HANDS after using any gloves for tank dumping and maintenance. None of them are totally impervious and many have miniscule holes you can't see. I cringe when I see people time and again using gloves and then not sanitize their hands afterwards.

Nurse Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #10
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
I use the hose storage pipe under the trailer, 15' heavy duty Camco hose, including a 45° elbow that remains attached. You just have to be careful to get the cap on correctly.

Some people purchase overprice Rhinoflex hoses that have fittings that won't fit into the carrier. I prefer to purchase the lower priced ($10) hoses, carry a spare and replace them as needed.

I leave my bumper compartment empty and put my WD torsion bars and anti-sway bars there when camped.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:50 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Please make sure you WASH YOUR HANDS after using any gloves for tank dumping and maintenance. None of them are totally impervious and many have miniscule holes you can't see. I cringe when I see people time and again using gloves and then not sanitize their hands afterwards.

Nurse Kay
We use these black nitrile gloves. They are more expensive than regular nitrile gloves, but they don't rip like the others. I started using these when I worked for the local volunteer fire department. On Ambulance calls, we would end up in some pretty icky situations (the kind where you go home afterwards and strip outside, then take an immediate shower and wash your clothing by themselves.) These were the gloves issued by the department and were mandatory on every call. They are really tough. Probably overkill for single use tank dumps, but I like them alot. At $18/100, you get 50 tank dumps on a box. We keep them separate from the sewer stuff so I don't have to worry about contamination.

If you are careful about not getting anything on your clothes when dumping and you use the doctor/nurse technique of removing the gloves without skin contacting the outside of the glove, you don't have to worry about sanitizing afterwards. It's still a good idea to have some Purell on hand, but they work really well.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We use the same gloves

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Like Mollysdad, I favor the Harbor Freight disposable gloves.

One thing to watch for: the right size depends on the thickness of the glove. The "Large" size 5 mil thickness gloves fit me just fine. But I can't get my hand into the 7 mil version of "Large". It's because the heavy duty version just doesn't stretch, while the lighter duty version does.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:19 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Callao , Virginia
Just got back from a two week trip and can't believe the amount of people I seen who DO NOT use any gloves at all. Makes me want to wash my hands after shaking hands with people that's for sure.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:47 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Our street side back compartment has four power cords, the EMS, the backup supply of gloves (from Amazon) and the flex-rack thing that the sewer hose can go on. A couple of the cords have "trailer" fittings on them so they can act as extension cords. You haven't had fun until you get to that site with the power pole 75' from the water and the sewer 40' in the other direction ....

The sewer hoses go in the bumper because the right angle (90 degree) fitting that goes on the end will *not* go into the tube under the trailer. Pulling that on and off each time ... not so much. There *might* be a spare couple of hoses in tube. There's three in the bumper. Why the 90? Well that's what the stuff in the ground is designed to use. They don't pop out and "unfortunate" moments.

We also found that getting the hoses in and out of the bumper is a lot easier than pulling them out of the tube. With a lot of hoses, they all will not fit in that tube. Final reason - lots of stories about the cap falling off the end of the tube ....

In the campsite, the Equalizer bars sit on top of the battery box. They are big and heavy. They don't seem to wander off. We store indoors so the same approach works there as well. No need to lug them any further than the absolute minimum. Previous approach was to toss them in the back of the truck.

========

As I've mentioned before, you don't see plumbers using gloves to work on pipes. They don't drop dead left and right. I came home with enough stories while working summers to win just about any "worst story" contest. They deal with far worse situations that the dump station on a regular basis.

Done right, you don't douse yourself with sewage doing a dump run. Contact is all with the *outside* of the gear and hoses. If it's not, you need to re-think what you are doing. If you are worried about micro holes in gloves, Purell will do just fine to "wash up". Do I use gloves at the dump station? Yes indeed I do.

You can get into pretty much the same stuff changing a tire or hooking up the trailer. Opening and pulling stuff out of the storage compartments ... ditto .... Rummaging around in the back of the truck ... ditto ... taking shoes on and off ... ditto ... lots of ways to run into stuff when camping. Where's that dog been? ..... Do I wear gloves hooking up the trailer? Nope, but I do wash up after.

You *do* wash your hands before preparing food or eating don't you? That includes the quick bag of chips .... right ?. How about when putting away the dried dishes? *That* stuff is the time to worry. Living in a near "absolute clean" modern home can make us all a bit lazy. If you want to get worried and bug the rest of the crew - food safety is the one to harp on.

Bob
Old 05-14-2019, 08:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Yes, Purell is fine for "washing up" after dumping, or other things as long as you do not have obvious soil on your hands. I absolutely do not use antibacterial soaps in my home. I'm not a germophobe, but even outside of dump gear can and will get contaminated. Far too many people think gloves are the only thing they need. Handwashing is much better.
Did not mean to hijack this thread, though. I'll shut up now.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Please make sure you WASH YOUR HANDS after using any gloves for tank dumping and maintenance. I cringe when I see people time and again using gloves and then not sanitize their hands afterwards.
We're creating a new strain of bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics, because antibiotics are so overused. Same with hand sanitizer. The active ingredient in hand sanitizer is alcohol. So the alcohol kills the weak bacteria, leaving the strong to reproduce and create a more resistant bacteria. (Hello, Darwin, survival of the fittest.)
I survived my work outside where often we didn't have all the nice sanitizers available today. I figure my antibodies are doing pushups in my bloodstream, germs fear ME!

I never get sick.

I see people going into the grocery and wiping the cart with a disposable towel. I want to say, "STOP, you're going to kill us all!".
I'm not advocating being careless, just don't panic. I wore one pair of heavy rubber gloves for years while doing the tanks. Now, I've stepped up to Harbor Freight's disposable gloves.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Just as the outside of your drain hose has "stuff" on it, so does the soil you walk on. The same sort of thing winds up on the roads you drive over. It gets kicked up and covers your trailer and the outside of your truck. Your dog is in it when he rolls in the grass. Welcome to Mother Nature. You ... umm .... errr .... *might* occasionally use the toilet ... umm .... errr ...

Simple contact is not the issue. Getting the wrong things into your food *is* the issue. Address the problem (with soap and water) at that point.

Bob