Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2018, 05:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Steaming Hot Toilet?

I apologize upfront for the bathroom humor this topic may draw, but I am seriously beginning to think I have a bathroom water supply piping defect in my 2018 Classic 33FB. I have two primary symptoms that lead me to believe my shower and toilet are plumbed solely from the Alde hot water tank.

Symptom 1: No matter how I adjust the temperature valve on the Alde (note: I have read the forum posts and direction on loosening the screw to allow for adjustment) I cannot adjust the water temperature at the shower mixing valve. In other words, whatever temperature it is set for at the Alde temperature valve is the only temperature I get regardless of the position of the shower mixing valve. This results in unbearable nearly scalding temperatures if I engage shower boost.

Symptom 2: After a beer and bbq dinner party, I engaged shower boost for hot washing dishes. Several guests were using the macerator toilet. I heard laughter in the bathroom and a guest then called me in and demonstrated a flush that resulted in a steamy event similar to a mild geyser at Yellow Stone. There was clearly steaming hot water feeding the toilet. My guess is that we had not seen the hot geyser phenomenon prior to that time because the toilet had not been used multiple times in a short period so as to draw hot water all the way to the toilet. The hot water has not affected the function of the toilet, but I do not risk burns by flushing when seated.

Another note.....the bathroom sink, outdoor shower and kitchen sink faucets function normally providing hot to cold water as desired.

I can live with the hot geyser toilet (it is a good source of humorous conversation during parties), but the inability to adjust the temperature of water in the shower is inconvenient and literally a pain.

Your advice is appreciated.
jrkott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
What color is the pex that feeds the toilet?

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:26 AM   #3
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Your plumbing is clearly a hot mess. Time for a warranty visit to your dealer!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:35 AM   #4
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Jc'qc

Haste makes Waste...hot.😂👎

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Be careful of that bidet thread going on.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I will check the pipe color later today.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
I would check the position of you shut off valves under your dinette. If it didn't do it from the start (hot toilet water), it sounds like you have a valve turned to the wrong position. The manual isn't much help (at least my 2018 manual) as the diagram isn't up to date for the 33s. I would check position of winterization bypass valve. Fingers crossed.
JDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I could not figure out how to see the color of the supply line to the toilet without getting into carpentry. I also looked at my paper manuals and could not find any information for the proper Alde valve settings for the 33 classic. Without removing the bench, I cannot trace the location of lines on the Alde. I experimented with several different variations of valve settings and the only two results I got for the toilet and shower was all hot water or no water. This is very frustrating because I take a shower that is unadjustable almost scalding hot then goes cold. I hope the dealer can resolve this. The lack of manual information provided is totally unacceptable for a $120,000 investment!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I suggest not waiting to get to the dealer, but to call Airstream directly.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkott View Post
I apologize upfront for the bathroom humor this topic may draw, but I am seriously beginning to think I have a bathroom water supply piping defect in my 2018 Classic 33FB. I have two primary symptoms that lead me to believe my shower and toilet are plumbed solely from the Alde hot water tank.

Symptom 1: No matter how I adjust the temperature valve on the Alde (note: I have read the forum posts and direction on loosening the screw to allow for adjustment) I cannot adjust the water temperature at the shower mixing valve. In other words, whatever temperature it is set for at the Alde temperature valve is the only temperature I get regardless of the position of the shower mixing valve. This results in unbearable nearly scalding temperatures if I engage shower boost.

Symptom 2: After a beer and bbq dinner party, I engaged shower boost for hot washing dishes. Several guests were using the macerator toilet. I heard laughter in the bathroom and a guest then called me in and demonstrated a flush that resulted in a steamy event similar to a mild geyser at Yellow Stone. There was clearly steaming hot water feeding the toilet. My guess is that we had not seen the hot geyser phenomenon prior to that time because the toilet had not been used multiple times in a short period so as to draw hot water all the way to the toilet. The hot water has not affected the function of the toilet, but I do not risk burns by flushing when seated.

Another note.....the bathroom sink, outdoor shower and kitchen sink faucets function normally providing hot to cold water as desired.

I can live with the hot geyser toilet (it is a good source of humorous conversation during parties), but the inability to adjust the temperature of water in the shower is inconvenient and literally a pain.

Your advice is appreciated.
Hi jrkott,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*