RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-21-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Toronto , Ontario
Starlink Installation / Experience

I know we're not there yet but I'm hoping this will end up solving my internet availability problems on both sides of the border.

In anticipation, would like this thread to discuss how to install or experience with installing a Starlink user terminal and provided router in a late model classic. Issues like:

- where/how to mount antenna
- where to place modem and provide it with power
- interface to peplink for Airstream Connect or displace peplink
- etc
ldavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Toronto , Ontario
Starlink just announced "Better Than Nothing Beta" for some of those that signed up for the beta program in the Northern US.

Estimated speeds 50Mbps to 150Mbps
Estimated latency 20ms to 40ms
Some interruptions in connectivity to be expected
$499 for the phased array antenna and router
$99 per month subscription
No data caps

Any Airstream takers?
ldavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I am definitely interested and would sign for the beta program if I knew how! I signed into the website with not much more than an email and zip code. I have not heard anything since except that they received my sign-up.

Right now Space X is not allowed to provide service to Canada. See this link:

https://spaceq.ca/spacex-starlink-se...-crtc-license/

But one day it will be and also hopefully available to you. I would like to get started on this right away! As of a few days ago, my AT&T plan just ran out! Do you have any information on how to get in touch with the Starlink program?

We travel across the country with the AT&T plan, it was wonderful to be able to have unlimited service under the AT&T/Airstream plan. It was a slap in the face when AT&T pulled the plan. Some of us signed up for another year and got it! But now it has lapsed and the alternative would be too expensive.

The Starlink plan will be even better than AT&T's plan. It may be expensive at $99 per month, but the current hotspot from AT&T is 16Gb for $125/month. Considerably more for a lot less bandwidth.

The advantage of the Starlink program will be internet service no matter where on earth you are. Highest mountain or widest desert. Your internet will be available. Can I live without the internet? Of course, I can. Just not for long!

The nice thing is, it can be used at home. I'm currently paying about $65/month now.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
See the update at www.RVmobileinternet.com. My take away is that in the foreseeable future they are not goin to offer ‘mobile’ options. It sounds like you are locked into a specific spot beam area. As long as the antenna is in the beam area you could move around but you may not get service if you are out of that beam area.

Another challenge unlike satellite TV or even a HughesNet dish is that you can’t shoot between the trees. You have to have a absolutely clear view. Supposedly they will have an app that can tell you if your dish location will work while you view it on your phone, similar to the satellite pointing app that I have on my phone now for Dish/HugehsNet.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/spa...ils-announced/
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 08:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
See the update at www.RVmobileinternet.com. My take away is that in the foreseeable future they are not goin to offer ‘mobile’ options. It sounds like you are locked into a specific spot beam area. As long as the antenna is in the beam area you could move around but you may not get service if you are out of that beam area.

Another challenge unlike satellite TV or even a HughesNet dish is that you can’t shoot between the trees. You have to have a absolutely clear view. Supposedly they will have an app that can tell you if your dish location will work while you view it on your phone, similar to the satellite pointing app that I have on my phone now for Dish/HugehsNet.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/spa...ils-announced/

The nature of the beast. As SpaceX adds more satellites it is conceivable the sheer quantity (currently projections show 42,000 satellites to be launched) will allow for several or more satellites in the sky at one time making the "clear view" of the sky smaller.

Until then, it sounds like it will not solve our mobile internet issue.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavids View Post
Starlink just announced "Better Than Nothing Beta" for some of those that signed up for the beta program in the Northern US.

Estimated speeds 50Mbps to 150Mbps
Estimated latency 20ms to 40ms
Some interruptions in connectivity to be expected
$499 for the phased array antenna and router
$99 per month subscription
No data caps

Any Airstream takers?

I would love to try it but Im in the Pacific Southwest
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote