Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2018, 09:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Squeaky Floor

I'm trying to decide what to do. The floor in the hallway between the shower and the bathroom started squeaking last year. My dealer repaired it by removing the belly pan and shimming the floor from underneath. The floor has started squeaking again in the same area and now I'm 1 month out of warranty. I wonder if this is a systemic problem with 2016 Classics? My dealer spent 3 full days with the trailer on jacks to do the last repair. I'm sure going after Airstream to pay for an out of warranty repair is going to be fun for me and my dealer.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Um, sorry to hear you have a squeaky floor. As you know Airstream’s warranty lasts two full years. It is my understanding that after that 2 years any repairs are the owners responsibility. I have not heard about a massive design flaw regarding squeaky floors on any of the Classics on the 2016, ‘17 or 18’s but wish you the best. Is it really something that is totally intolerable to bear? Would a foam backed throw rug help at all?

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:53 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I have the exact same issue in the exact same location. Heading to JC in May to have that and several other issues addressed. Hope you get yours resolved. Itís a hassle no matter what.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
I'm trying to decide what to do. The floor in the hallway between the shower and the bathroom started squeaking last year. My dealer repaired it by removing the belly pan and shimming the floor from underneath. The floor has started squeaking again in the same area and now I'm 1 month out of warranty. I wonder if this is a systemic problem with 2016 Classics? My dealer spent 3 full days with the trailer on jacks to do the last repair. I'm sure going after Airstream to pay for an out of warranty repair is going to be fun for me and my dealer.

As a former automobile dealer I can tell you Airstream has already paid the dealer to do the repair the first time and since their repair didnít hold up it will probably become the dealerís responsibility. There is the potential fight!
Old 03-30-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
same issue

we have the same issue in our 2015, repaired at JC, but has returned. We say the repair person's name every time we hear the squeak, his ears got to be burning. We plan on visiting JC this summer and they will hear about it. Would love to learn how many others are experiencing this same issue.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:23 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Birch Bay , Washington
We have the same problem with our 2018 Classic. I’ve been debating whether to have it repaired or leave it alone and live with it. It sounds as though the repairs aren’t lasting—so I’m wondering if anyone has had the floor repaired and not experienced a recurrence.
mdaley21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:03 AM   #7
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Mine was fixed in SLC, but they told me after, make sure the stabilizer jacks are well deployed. They said the took off belly pan and ran a glue gun between the frame and floor. Yes, it came back. They said it was the deck plywood joint.

Squeaks and clicks are kinda a sign of old (or not new) age, no? I have a few personally.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
Ventura , California
Referring to your squeak, itís from the finished floor rubbing on the subfloor plywood. Itís separated. You can screw short screws underneath the subfloor plywood to floor, do not break surface because you will get jabbed by the point when walking. I will would locate frame crossbrace and screw into that also.
martymcclain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If you're able, get down on the floor and see if you can determine for sure where the squeak is coming from. The squeak could be coming from a floor joint in the plywood, or it could be coming from the floor flexing under the "furnishings". If it's coming from above the floor line, you may be able to either adjust, or lubricate, to stop the squeak. Some silicone dry lube will help stop a lot of these noises without surgery. I've stopped a lot of squeaks in new trailers with a screwdriver to loosen or tighten, and a can of spray lube, applied judiciously.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
I have heard several people say they stopped the squeak by spraying dry silicone between the wall and the floor in the affected areas.

If yours is dead center of the floor it may not help.

Good luck, hope you find it.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
The squeak is definitely coming from the subfloor. Placing any weight on the floor in the middle of the hallway causes the floor to flex with a loud creak. I find it curious others are dealing with the same issue in the same place on Classic 30s. Certainly Airstream must be aware there's a possible trend here. Yes, I may have to live with the creaking floor and all the other design/manufacturing defects I'm either fixing myself or living with them. I've been the lone Airstream on two caravans with a total of 26 RVs from various manufactures. I've also been the only RV that has had to deal with the galley sink falling out, the bathroom sink falling out, the top half of the nightstand between the twin beds falling off, the ceiling AC vents falling out, the converter failing, and more. I know of at least 26 RV'ers that will not be buying an Airstream or recommending one to anyone after seeing what I've been living with.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #12
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Terry’s, Ah, yes, I remember your story now. I can hear the frustration in your post and I am sorry you’re having such a bad time with your Classic
I’ve just returned from my first trip to Jackson Center. My 2017 Classic had 2 significant problems and 18 very minor ones and I added a couple of upgrades. I was extremely pleased with the results. The service, quality, pace, and most importantly the cost of the work that was done on my TT was suburb. Unfortunately, you may be running out of time to get anything repaired or replaced under warranty but now that I know better I plan to make an annual stop by JC hopefully to catch a problem beforehand. They fixed a couple of things I didn’t even know were broken. I wish I had known about the factory service center the day I bought mine but I know it now and the trip to JC will just be part of the annual maintenance budget. I have also learned the hard way that not RV service centers are created equal.
Another lesson I have learned recently was from a neighbor of mine. They just bought a brand new Prevost. I didn’t ask how much they paid for it but it’s 2 million, maybe more. They’ve had it 2 weeks and the punch list was at 50 yesterday. My point is that I am learning price and name doesn’t always guarantee that the RV will be 100% perfect 100% of the time. He took it all in stride and is confident that the dealer will make everything right. I am still learning to take it in stride.
I am sure by now you have the service center in Ohio on speed dial. John, Gretchen Artie, Brad, Chis, all the techs in the back are great and honestly do care about the owners and Airstream. I was able to watch them all work for 5 full days, I couldn’t help but overhear conversations between the employees and the owners and how they spoke to each other. Everything I saw and heard made me feel very confident that when I have a problem, or something breaks, or goes wrong, every person at Airstream will bend over backwards to make it right. If you aren’t getting that feeling from your local shop then maybe it’s time to go elsewhere.
I do hope you don’t have any more problems with your Classic but if you do please let the folks in JC know about it.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:14 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
I am sure by now you have the service center in Ohio on speed dial. John, Gretchen Artie, Brad, Chis, all the techs in the back are great and honestly do care about the owners and Airstream. I was able to watch them all work for 5 full days, I couldnít help but overhear conversations between the employees and the owners and how they spoke to each other. Everything I saw and heard made me feel very confident that when I have a problem, or something breaks, or goes wrong, every person at Airstream will bend over backwards to make it right. If you arenít getting that feeling from your local shop then maybe itís time to go elsewhere.
I do hope you donít have any more problems with your Classic but if you do please let the folks in JC know about it.
I've heard nothing but positive comments about the factory service center. However, it's a bit far for us living in the western states to make an annual trek to Jackson Center. My local Spokane Airstream dealer has always provided me stellar support. I consider them one of the best. I feel it's a bit unfair to continue to burden them with major repairs due to poor design/manufacturing defects. Yes, all RV's require annual maintenance no matter how expensive, but typically not a continuous stream of major repairs. When my converter failed while traveling I went down the list of Airstream dealers within 100 miles and the earliest I could get an appointment was six weeks. When I called Airstream for tech support I got voicemail that said to leave a message describing my problem and they would get back to me within 24 hours. Three days later with no response from Airstream I fixed it myself. When one of my A/C units failed while in Tucson it was a six week wait for a service appointment. Luckily, I was able to repair it myself. It's a good thing I'm handy and carry a big toolbox. Apologies for the rant, I was just looking to see if there was a trend and what corrective actions had been taken.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #14
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Totally understand the rant, I have been there myself on several occasions, It does get frustrating. Waiting months for an appointment just isn’t going to work for me in the future and there isn’t proven, 5 star, stellar service center within 300 miles of my residence so learning to fix things on the road is going to be my only option or wait to get it fixed once a year which isn’t exactly wonderful either. Please don’t give up on the folks at JC. There are only 3 guys, maybe 4, in the office for the service center and only 2 people in the tech support department, they have to talk to or email with 100’s of owners and dealers all day. Keep trying, emailing has worked best for me.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
St. Albans , West Virginia
2018 33' Classic Squeaky Floor

I too, have a squeaky floor and it's at the dealer at this very moment (going on 6 weeks now) being addressed.

There must be some design flaw that hasn't been worked out just yet.

This is my first RV trailer and I'm quite surprised by the amount of repairs required to fix a brand new product. Can't say that I'm not on the fence about this camping trailer thing. I think I was blinded by the shiny aluminum.
Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzard View Post
---------------snip-------------------------------
This is my first RV trailer and I'm quite surprised by the amount of repairs required to fix a brand new product. Can't say that I'm not on the fence about this camping trailer thing.

I think I was blinded by the shiny aluminum.
The repairs, on a shiny new one, are not unusual. Once it is sorted out, it will be fine. Consider it a "rite of passage"...

The "blinded by shiny aluminum" part, however, is a serious symptom of every Airstreamer's consuming obsession. It's referred to by those in the know as "Aluminiumitis", it's a benign, but absolutely incurable condition characterized by an overwhelming obsession with travel trailers primarily constructed out of aluminum by a particular organization or its chain of predecessors.

Most of us on the forums either have a latent form of the disease, or are newcomers first tempted into the condition by the siren whisperings that, if you listen closely, sound like a chorus of sweetly ethereal heavenly voices saying, "shiny, shiny, bright aluminum..." Once you have heard this call, its too late, too late...

Sorry, you are well and truly hooked already--its far too late now--embrace the condition, and know it can be happily lived with for a very long time.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The repairs, on a shiny new one, are not unusual. Once it is sorted out, it will be fine. Consider it a "rite of passage"...
As rmkrum alluded to, we all suffer the "shiny new aluminum thing". However, there appears to be no TT immune to repair items. Some more than others but, you obviously noted the clearly better design and materials used to build your unit. Most of us will acknowledge that fact.

Relax, let the repairs happen, keep it well maintained and enjoy MANY nights camping!
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup, since out AS was bought lightly used and thoroughly sorted out, its just been regular maintenance and 'improvements' since we got it.

The obsession, however, is incurable...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcclain View Post
Referring to your squeak, itís from the finished floor rubbing on the subfloor plywood. Itís separated. You can screw short screws underneath the subfloor plywood to floor, do not break surface because you will get jabbed by the point when walking. I will would locate frame crossbrace and screw into that also.
That identifies the potential problem that we had; however, most of our squeaking sound came from the border where the walls meet the floor. Some silicone spray and then silicone sealer behind the aluminum angle keeps it at bay. With fours seasons, the plywood absorbs and loses moisture; hence, the expansion and compression of the joint areas ...causing squeak potentials.

mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Ocala , Florida
2017 Airstream Classic 30' with squeaky floor

We are new to the Airstream and love the unit. Purchased last year. We also have a squeak in the floor although I would describe it as center of the aisle at the transition between hall and the bedroom. Scheduled for repair at JC. Ray
asw211rf is offline   Reply With Quote