Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 08:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
So frustrated!

I picked up my 2018 30' Classic a couple of weeks ago and have spent most of the time dealing with problems. Sure, a couple of operator errors but mostly real issues (rear AC recieves no power at all (therfore heat pump on rear unit also doesn't function), CD doesn't function, blue lights on panel do not work, ALDE does not run. I leave to full time in a week and a half and am now at my wits end. I am hoping the closest dealer can fit her in for service as verbal discussions with all avenues have led nowhere. I will find out about scheduling tomorrow. I also would like to ask if there is anyone in the Fredericksburg VA area with experience with the newer Classics? I sure could use some good old fashioned help. The manuals or lack there of have not resolved any of these things.

Of course I have no cellular service at the site (despite the $400 plus investment in Weboost) so I take pictures and drive my truck up a hill to have these conversations. About 2 hours ago I just wanted my money back. A cooler head has prevailed so I plod forward.
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Classic
Fayetteville , North Carolina
So sorry for all your problems, if you don't mind who did you buy it from, they should take you right in and fix all your problems.
Lets travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Kyet, I remember when you were just getting your Classic and I am so sorry to hear that things are not going well. I can't help with the blue lights or the CD player (I have never turned mine on ) but what's up with the Alde? I know the 18's have the Alde system linked into the Firefly so it is a bit different from the 17's in that regard. Have I missed your posts on this? Is it not working at all?

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
I find when I am on and off shortchanged power I am not getting the radiant heat. I do get the shower boost but not warm radiators anywhere after leaving plugged in for 2 hours then again unplugged for 2 hours. Yet the shower boost kicks ass.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #5
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I want to make sure I am following you so excuse the question but why is your power going on and off every couple of hours? It does take about an hour for me to feel any heat near the radiators. I am in Florida right now so I haven't had the heat on since first of April but when I did need heat due to cold weather it did take about an hour for me to notice any warmth at the cover. Glad to hear you have hot water. That's a very good thing. Have you bled all air out of the the system at all 6 valves?

Old 08-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #6
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
You might have an air pocket. What is your reservoir level?

Old 08-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is a thread here "much ado about Alde" that has a lot of information on getting heat out of the Alde system. Many of us have had to dump several bottles (mine took 4) of blue fluid into the Alde before it really did a good job heating things.

Rear AC could be many things:

1) Breaker is tripped
2) Thermostat is in "program" mode and has it shut off
3) Control wires are loose / open (big bundles behind the AC filter panels)
4) The AC is defective
(once past the first two .... dealer is the way to go)

The blue lights on the firefly panels are turned on and off by a button on the bedroom panels. It's labeled something like "panel lights". There is also a Firefly controller that feeds all of them. Where that is on a 2018, who knows. Bits and pieces of it are sort of all over the place. (If it's not the magic button ... off to dealer land).

The disk player in the 2017 was a BluRay player. If the 2018 is the same, does it play BluRay's ok? TV goes to HDMI 2 and it should play either a DVD or BluRay. If you pull a couple of screws, the wood holding the player in place comes off. There are a bunch of cables back there. Some may have come loose.

One of the suggestions made before we did our delivery walk through was to video record the whole thing. They dump a lot of information on you all at once. We got to caught up to do it, but it is a good idea. I'm amazed that AS does not put up a bunch of videos on all the trailers. They are starting to do some for the Basecamp.

Right now I don't think there are more than a dozen or two 2018 30' Classics "out in the wild". Odds of finding another 2018 owner close to you are a bit slim. Even finding a "modern" classic owner closer than 3 hours may be tough (When I'm home, I'm about 3 hours north of Fredericksburg).

Deep breath, stay calm, it will all work out ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyet View Post
I picked up my 2018 30' Classic a couple of weeks ago and have spent most of the time dealing with problems. Sure, a couple of operator errors but mostly real issues (rear AC recieves no power at all (therfore heat pump on rear unit also doesn't function), CD doesn't function, blue lights on panel do not work, ALDE does not run. I leave to full time in a week and a half and am now at my wits end. I am hoping the closest dealer can fit her in for service as verbal discussions with all avenues have led nowhere. I will find out about scheduling tomorrow. I also would like to ask if there is anyone in the Fredericksburg VA area with experience with the newer Classics? I sure could use some good old fashioned help. The manuals or lack there of have not resolved any of these things.

Of course I have no cellular service at the site (despite the $400 plus investment in Weboost) so I take pictures and drive my truck up a hill to have these conversations. About 2 hours ago I just wanted my money back. A cooler head has prevailed so I plod forward.
Any resolution to the issues? Where are you camped?
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #9
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyet View Post

Hi Kyet,

Congratulations on your new Classic, and I'm really sorry to hear about the issues you're having. Can you please send a PM with the last 6 digits of your VIN and best number to reach you so we can help?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Kyet, any progress? Airstream is trying to find you. Help is available. You still there?

Old 08-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Kyet, any progress? Airstream is trying to find you. Help is available. You still there?
Hi

Having been in the "drive to the top of the hill for cell service" situation. It may be a while before things catch up with everybody.

Bob
Old 08-22-2017, 07:40 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
I am here I am here I am here! Sort of Horton Hears A Wh-oish. Or not. I am spending the night in a house where I have contact with humans and the internet. Sadly the AS is going in for warrranty work next week for 2 - 3 weeks. Drag, as it is my home. At least this is happening on the East Coast where I am close to the folks. The AC unit apparently is dead (maybe was never alive). There is a whole gaggle of us (dealer folks and myself) that take responsibility for not catching that. I have run the gamut with all techs so I would not have to give it up for so much time.

Blue Lights. Yes they work. Thank you for the tips. Between the panel dimming and the different panels telling me lights are on and off at the same time I now know I have to look at the exterior lights physically to know which panel is telling the truth. But the blue lights do come on so that is a relief.

Blue Ray Dead. If it wasn't before it is now. I installed a different brand and a new cable when I installed the Weboost to it's more possibly permanet spot. I'm a little concerned about how warm the Weboost gets so I may move it again.

The ALDE System. I had an ALDE in my previous TT which is why I ended up ordering this trailer. In fact I ordered the previous unit from the UK to install in addition to a heat pump. I really love radiant heat and how quiet it is. It really was a no brainer and I never had to futz with it. We have been in the 90's here and the campsite has zero shade so I would be willing to say I did not want to test this out. The heatpump blazes. I can have my own mini Hatha Yoga class with the dogs it works so well. But no matter how I tried I could not get the heat pump to turn off and the ALDE to take over. So to get it to stop I disconnected the power. Thus the power "cycling" off. That was just me turning it off so the heatpump wouldn't kick on. Still no luck. I have a few more days to try more (i.e. with access to the internet I can read and maybe find out what I am doing wrong).

The list for the warranty guy is longer but I can't remember everything. I am loving the trailer. It pulls like a dream and I have had other AS owners stop by to gander so I can feel the "family" vibe already. Can't wait to get on the road to who knows where.

Why did I think after years of owning, building, and maintaining trailers I thought this was going to come so naturally. I honestly never want new houses or new trailers unless I've built them myself. It's much better when someone else goes through this painful portion.

I truly am always surprised that I'm not anywhere near as smart as I think I am. This has been happening my whole life. Hmmm
Old 08-23-2017, 03:38 AM   #13
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
K, I know of the disappointment but hopefully in a few weeks all this will be behind you and it will be close to perfection as you had hoped. Please keep us posted.

Old 08-23-2017, 06:55 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, here's the "secret" to checking an Alde (at least the 2017) version with the temps in the 90's:

Start early in the morning when it's cool(er).
Set the temperature low on the thermostat
Go to the Alde controller
Set it to no gas / no electric. (I've only gone to 1 electric. I assume it will work on none)

Put the unit in continuous recirculation mode
At that point the glycol is flowing and you can check levels

This is not a perfect way to do it. It's a lot better than not doing it at all. If you go this route. Don't fill the system right to the top. The glycol will expand a bit when it heats up.

Sorry that this is the 2017 version. I have no clue about how much of it applies to the Firefly / Alde setup in the 2018. When I got my trailer it was in the 90's. If we (any of us, tech's included) had known about this procedure it would have saved a bunch of hassles.

Bob
Old 08-23-2017, 10:51 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Looking forward to trying the tips tomorrow (or today I should say). Thanks for all of the help! This forum has been a godsend.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:41 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Acck, I think I'm going backwards here. I have made no progress with the ALDE and at this point would be happy if I could figure out how to just turn off the heat pump/AC on the unit that is working. In the end I have breakered off the unit and opened the windows.

I reviewed all of my recordings of the walkthrough and realized we never actually finished with the firefly panel enough to know whether or not the 2nd unit worked or if the ALDE worked.

As for the glycol, ALDE told me in 2014 that you could use any brand of the right mixture in the 3010. I used a Camco mixture for 4 years. The control "panel" was a knob with 3 manual sliders. Oh it was all so easy then. (I just finished reading Much ado about ALDE).
Old 08-25-2017, 05:25 AM   #17
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
So neither AC units are working? Both are only blowing hot air? Have you PM James or Bud, or Bob, me? Going through the steps to get the Alde system up and running properly does take some time and patience not it is not physically difficult and only requires one screwdriver.
I can't help with the AC but I might be able to help with the Alde.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:43 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Water valley , Mississippi
All these problems are a little scary to me. I hope you get all your issues resolved. I'm just about to start RV'ing. I'm not at all familiar with airstreams. I had no idea a new airstream could have problems like I have been reading about. I ordered a 2018 classic from a dealer in Troy Ohio and It should be ready to pick it up on September 4 or fifth. I'm wondering if I have done the right thing.
Does anyone know someone really knowledgeable in the area that I could hire to go to the dealership with me and give it a thorough inspection.
ted baylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:13 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Assuming the 2018 is the same as the 2017:

The AC is controlled by a panel below the BluRay player. Punching the "Mode" button cycles the AC through various operating modes one of which is "off". It also cycles past the "HP" mode which is for heat pump. Hitting the "Zone" button switches to the other zone. Ignore the "Program" button.

Far more than you would ever want to know about the 2017 thermostat is here:

https://www.campingworld.com/include...structions.pdf

Like all manuals, get a good supply of a cool beverage before you start going through it ....

If they have done away with that thermostat:

The AC on/off is under the HVAC / temperature settings on the main Firefly touchscreen. If there is no "off" setting, just run the temperature up to 90 when in "cool" mode. There is no flow diagram for the touch screen in the 2018 manual so it's a bit unclear what is where in the sub-screens.

Heat boost for the Alde is on the touch screen in the bathroom.

Bob
Old 08-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I believe the 2018 AC/HP are controlled from the FireFly, as is the Alde. I prefer our set up in the 2017. But, I read some these posts several times, still in limited cell area, and if I got this right the heat pumps will not shut off even if electric is disconnected? I'll never say no way, but the units must be connected to shore power or generator. Batteries will not power them. I just have no idea on this one as I've never seen a 2018 or the advanced FF system.

Let us know what they find.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote