Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Merriam , KS
Snap Pads

Anyone use SnapPads on their stabilizer feet? Considering this, assuming they have a size that will fit, or something I can modify.

Asking for a 2017 Classic 30.

https://rvsnappad.com/products/eq-co...xoCEn8QAvD_BwE
DougC27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I have not used them so take this with a grain of salt.

I first used the plastic LEGO blocks.

Then I cut up a rubber door mat in to 4 squares that could sit under the feet (not a glove like fit - they just sat on top).

Then someone in the forums made mention that in the unlikely event the trailer gets hit by lightning, it’s best to have the metal feet in direct contact with the ground.

It made sense to me so I don’t use anything for that purpose now [emoji3]

Having said that - if you’re looking for something like the product you linked - a $15 rubber welcome mat cut to 4 square may serve the purpose at a steep discount over the product referenced. It will not be a custom fit but once the stabilizer pad is on the rubber square - the square isn’t moving anywhere.

Last - this product references a fit to an Equalizer Stabilizer Pad - not sure that’s what comes on an Airstream - I think they’re BAL stabilizers? I could be wrong....

Hope this is even marginally helpful [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Merriam , KS
Thanks for the responses!

MAC:
I found this on the lightening issue...http://noshockzone.org/lightning-safety/

It states that the Airstream forms a Faraday Cage around us and lightening is powerful enough to find the ground even if it is insulated from the ground. I wonder if "making the connection" with jack stand or stabilizers defeat the Faraday Cage and rather than the electricity "bending around the Airstream, it becomes part of the circuit, and thereby, more dangerous.

You make a good point about fashioning my own pads from an economic standpoint. And I intend to attach the pad to the stabilizer foot to virtually eliminate the need to place Legos or anything manually.

Our Airstream has the Lippert motorized stabilizer with a little square foot pad that's about 5".
https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...hoCyKMQAvD_BwE
DougC27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Doug, I've seen them on motorhomes. Pretty heavy, way overkill for the weights from the stabilizing jacks on the AS. I use the plastic stacking lego blocks. Most often I put them under the feet every time I park, more to keep the feet clean and also to spare the grass/asphalt/gravel. I do use 12x12 pads from Bigfoot Outriggers for the front tongue. 3 - 2" thick pads. I've used the legos and wood in the past but after using the BigFoots for my motorhome they are indestructible, solid, don't absorb water like wood, and don't bend an warp like legos.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:28 AM   #5
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Stabilizer Pads Are Unnecessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC27 View Post
I found this on the lightening issue...http://noshockzone.org/lightning-safety/

It states that the Airstream forms a Faraday Cage around us and lightening is powerful enough to find the ground even if it is insulated from the ground. I wonder if "making the connection" with jack stand or stabilizers defeat the Faraday Cage and rather than the electricity "bending around the Airstream, it becomes part of the circuit, and thereby, more dangerous.
I believe the point made in the article is that tires (or pads under the stabilizers and jack) will not impede the flow of a lightning strike to earth, however the shell of the Airstream will help to flow electricity around the shell, protecting the inside occupants.

I find that putting pads under the stabilizer feet is totally unnecessary (but may be important to those fastidious people who feel the need to keep the bottoms of the stabilizers untouched by dirt.) I just hose them off if they get too dirty. This also saves the space, weight and dirt of storing those 'lego' or rubber pads.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I don't usually put anything under the stabilizer pads on Lucy. The only times that I do is when the ground is mushy or when the terrain is such that some of the stabilizers will not reach the ground solidly when fully extended.

In these cases, I use "legos" under Lucy's stabilizer feet.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
When lightning strikes a vehicle it usually blows out the tires. If it has traveled several miles through the air to your vehicle it's very unlikely that 3/4" of rubber is going to stop it from reaching the ground. A single bolt of lightning can be up to a billion volts.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I saw them at the Hershey RV show and liked that they didn't need removed each time. I was concerned about the size so I took them to the Airstream vendor at the show and none fit. They are supposed to email me when they have a size that fits. Maybe they will.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
When lightning strikes a vehicle it usually blows out the tires. If it has traveled several miles through the air to your vehicle it's very unlikely that 3/4" of rubber is going to stop it from reaching the ground. A single bolt of lightning can be up to a billion volts.

Hate to be "that guy" on the forum, but I believe that a bolt of lightning is approximately 1.21 jigawatts.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Hate to be "that guy" on the forum, but I believe that a bolt of lightning is approximately 1.21 jigawatts.

Giga watts?
Oooooh, the flux capacitor capacity. It's what makes time travel possible. Great movie series.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote