Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
Smart App Connection Not Working

All,

I have searched for this and am unable to find an answer...

On our 2021 Classic 33, we used the initial AT&T 100GB in just over a week which is another thread of mystery. Since that time, we have relied on a hotspot and have been fine. However, about 3 weeks ago, our ability to connect to the trailer via the Smart app stopped.

Initially, the main screen that would typically show all the boxes/data had spinning arrows and it would never actually stop and show any data. Then I updated the Smart app to the current revision. After that, I get a screen that says ďTrailer UnavailableĒ.

I called Corey at the mothership and he indicated that the issue is that I do not currently pay for an AT&T plan and without that, the Smart App wonít work. I did find on a few posts here that Airstream might pay to have a connection and I am wondering if anyone out there can connect to their trailer (when it is not on a WiFi connection) who also does not pay the Kingís Ransom to AT&T?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-11-2021, 05:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
I am not sure about that. Maybe AS can see the trailer, but Smart will not work without some data connection. I was concerned about other things using up all my ATT data so I have the 100G for Smart only and as a emergency backup, backup data plan.

For TV, email and internet, I have 2 plans. 100G TMobile for $50 and AT&T 100G for $55 a month. We also have the small amount of high speed data that comes with our cell phone Verizon plan. I joined the Mobile Internet Resource Center. It was worth every cent to understand what is really going on and to help me select those plans. One day I might put both SIM cards into a new router but I am ok with using the hotspots as they are. Maybe things will change in the future to make things easier.

One day the installed routers will need to be updated, maybe I will deal with it then. Just like swapping out routers at home. You sort of have to do it every 7-10 years when they get too old but if you wanted to, you could do it every month to keep up.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Fort Wayne , Indiana
I recently purchased a used 2019 33 Classic and find that I could access the system when it was in storage (where there is WiFi) but not otherwise.
I found the AT&T pay-as-you-go plan outrageous and after doing some research am attempting a work around with an unlimited data plan from Verizon. It is $80/month before discounts for military ($10) or teachers ($10), and for auto pay ($5 or $10, still working on that). I have the chip installed and took the unit out last week. Unfortunately there was no cell service in that particular state park and so I got no signal whatsoever. In areas with cell towers it may or may not show up. This morning, for example, parked in my drive, it says that the trailer is unavailable. This may be a battery problem, however. Still working on it.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonneur View Post
I recently purchased a used 2019 33 Classic and find that I could access the system when it was in storage (where there is WiFi) but not otherwise.
I found the AT&T pay-as-you-go plan outrageous and after doing some research am attempting a work around with an unlimited data plan from Verizon. It is $80/month before discounts for military ($10) or teachers ($10), and for auto pay ($5 or $10, still working on that). I have the chip installed and took the unit out last week. Unfortunately there was no cell service in that particular state park and so I got no signal whatsoever. In areas with cell towers it may or may not show up. This morning, for example, parked in my drive, it says that the trailer is unavailable. This may be a battery problem, however. Still working on it.

Hi Eric

Eric and I have been talking about this issue and I believe I understand it now. My AT&T original plan from Airstream at $360/yr ran out. I replaced it with my own hotspot Sim and essentially have the same plan as Airstreams. Unlimited data with no throttling but with network tower management. This plan is no longer available as I secured it years ago when AT&T did not use their lawyers very well and it is essentially is grandfathered in.

Eric and I could not figure out why his did not work and mine still did. It's because I have an AT&T plan as Cory said.

So I wonder if you got the lowest plan offered by AT&T (1 Gb of date for 30 days) and use this for your Smart connect. Or better yet, the 9o day plan 2Gb for $30 ($10/month). Smart connect passes only text back and forth and uses very little data.

The real question is can you still use another carrier's plan in the Peplink second Sim slot. I think you can!

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:28 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Fort Wayne , Indiana
Update 5/21/2021

OK. I cannot be sure about the battery issue of a new to me and under warranty AS, but we at least have satisfaction on the data plan.
I am currently at Charlestown State Park, Indiana, just outside of Louisville, close enough to civilization to hear the occasional river barge and siren. With the aforementioned Verizon SIM card installed, I now have WiFi at the campsite. It is only about 10 Mbps (down and up), but it is there. I had some difficulty getting it to log me in, but disconnecting and rebooting the system eventually allowed me to get on. It now seems to work without a fuss, as it should.
Now, if you want another mystery, I will be posting my adventures with the Alde system in a separate post. Stay tuned!
Old 06-04-2021, 05:57 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
FRISCO , TX
To wrap this topic, I purchased a T-Mobile SIM card with a 2Gb / mo plan at $10 / mo. Swapped it into the AT&T sim slot on the Pepwave and Smart Connect app works again. Warning, it takes almost 5 mins for the Pepwave to recognize the new Sim but after that, it worked automatically. We wonít use this card/plan for device data...just to keep the Smart App working. We are using the T-Mobile MiFi hotspot / plan (100Gb/$50/mo) for data.

I guess my next question will be related to our ability to use the trailerís WiFi grabbing/boosting capabilities (while in a park with WiFi) without at the same time hitting the sim for data?