Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2022, 10:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Showermiser experience anyone?

Hello! Has anyone had any experience with the Showermiser? (https://www.showermiser.com). Seems like an obvious and effective water conservation capability, but I am not sure the complexity of reaching the fill, vent, and pressure lines.

Ron
2019 30' Classic RBQ
ronalddodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have had mine installed for a couple years now. Definitely worth it if you utilize sites with no water hookups.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #3
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
If you have a wife that washes her hair in your Airstream then she probably will not like it. Of course this depends on how long and thick her hair is. Mine didn’t care for it at all because of this. Plus, we rarely boondock and that was why I bought it in the first place.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 01:12 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Hi - thank you for the feedback based on your experience. However, I’m not sure I understand it. The concept is that the showermiser recycles the fresh (cold) water as the water heater brings the temp up. How would this be an issue for someone washing their hair? I would think that this would be a huge benefit…

I am likely missing something and would love to understand better.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:55 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Not sure what the real water savings is? 100 feet of 1/2 pex tubing has a volume of .92 of a gallon. How much water can there be between the water heater and the shower head? Let the water heater get to temp, turn the shower head to full hot, flush out the 10 feet of line (less than 1/10th of a gallon) then adjust to temp. Not really a savings. Shutting the shower head off between lathering up and rising saves more than that. JMO

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 06:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
Not sure what the real water savings is? 100 feet of 1/2 pex tubing has a volume of .92 of a gallon. How much water can there be between the water heater and the shower head? Let the water heater get to temp, turn the shower head to full hot, flush out the 10 feet of line (less than 1/10th of a gallon) then adjust to temp. Not really a savings. Shutting the shower head off between lathering up and rising saves more than that. JMO

Joe D
You can still turn off the water while washing. The showermiser allows you to recirculate the water back to the fresh tank as it reaches temperature. You open the valve once it’s up to temp. My OEM on demand heater takes roughly 40 seconds or 1/2-3/4 gallons to kick out warm water.
Old 07-02-2022, 08:47 AM   #7
Freedom

2023 30' Classic
Dallas , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronalddodge View Post
Hi - thank you for the feedback based on your experience. However, I’m not sure I understand it. The concept is that the showermiser recycles the fresh (cold) water as the water heater brings the temp up. How would this be an issue for someone washing their hair? I would think that this would be a huge benefit…

I am likely missing something and would love to understand better.
You are correct… my mistake. I was thinking of the shower head. I do wish Airstream would install this product on their trailers in the factory though. It makes perfect sense.
KCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:01 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I get it… the gain may be small. I have a 2019 classic and on a cold day, i watch 1 to 2 gallons of fresh water fill up the gray tank while warm water makes it’s way to the shower head. I know how to conserve water once the shower is running at temp (30 years in the army…many times without warm water…).

I would love to hear how others reduce the waste. I turn on “max” hot water via the Alder panel for about 15 minutes before starting the shower. Any other tips?

Ron
Old 07-03-2022, 06:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We have a 18 classic and just catch the water and use it elsewhere like cooking or watering plants. It’s mostly important when boondocking to preserve tanks and keep you out longer.

If you’re hooked up we mostly just let it go down the drain and just dump grey often while on sewer.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:

Joe D
Your trailer came with a water heater with a tank. This is to save water with the new tankless water heaters that have a delay from the time water starts flowing before the water heater even starts heating water on RVs.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:47 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Your trailer came with a water heater with a tank. This is to save water with the new tankless water heaters that have a delay from the time water starts flowing before the water heater even starts heating water on RVs.

That makes sense! Could not understand the savings in my set up. Does seem that Airstream has done everything it can to make boondocking more complicated with the "upgrades" on the new units. My water heater is an additional 6 gallons of water to start the trip with when we fill up.

Thanks for the info

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 05:52 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Watsontown , Pennsylvania
Quote:

Joe D
The ShowerMiser makes a lot more sense for the new tankless water heaters. They waste a lot of water in our 23CBB 2022 each time you turn on the hot water. Plus, when doing dishes or navy showers, it takes all that time and waste EVERY time you turn the hot water back on. Like every time you shut the shower head off - the tankless shuts down - then turn it back on it has to start back up so you get a little hot water then cold again until it heats up again. Not good at all for boondocking. Not sure it makes as much sense with a hot water tank. The water does not stay hot between turning the hot water on and off.
ricjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 06:58 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Easley , South Carolina
There’s a coupon code CJE that gets you 10% off and free shipping ��
Browneyes430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2023, 07:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
I’ve got a ShowerMiser system in my motorhome that was installed at the factory. It’s nice to have and I use it whenever we dry camp. It works as advertised and I’m happy to have it.

In my opinion, the ShowerMiser is a great thing for someone who frequently dry camps or boondocks, especially if you have a small grey tank. My 23FB had a small grey tank at 30 gallons and it would have been nice to have in that trailer! My current rig has a 65 gallon grey tank and the tankless hot water heats up very quickly and stays hot. The ShowerMiser is nice but not something I’d likely pay to have installed if I didn’t already have it.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 05:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
In my opinion, the ShowerMiser is a great thing for someone who frequently dry camps or boondocks, especially if you have a small grey tank. My 23FB had a small grey tank at 30 gallons and it would have been nice to have in that trailer!
Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone that has successfully installed a ShowerMiser in a 23FB due to the tiny amount of access behind the shower. I would love to have it in my 23FB.
Roadtech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 12:50 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Easley , South Carolina
I found a coupon code for the showermiser for 10% off & free shipping for anyone that’s interested. It’s: CJE
Browneyes430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:07 AM   #17

2022 25' International
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I have had mine installed for a couple years now. Definitely worth it if you utilize sites with no water hookups.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Airstream Forums mobile app
I have a 2023 25 FBT. So, where did you run the recirculated water from the Showermiser? If I connect the recirculated pipe to the fill pipe, I’m trying to figure out what keeps the water from backfilling the recirculating pipe when filling the water tank. Or losing pressure if you connect the recirculating pipe to the pump input as I saw in the product pictures.
Mehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehall View Post
I have a 2023 25 FBT. So, where did you run the recirculated water from the Showermiser? If I connect the recirculated pipe to the fill pipe, I’m trying to figure out what keeps the water from backfilling the recirculating pipe when filling the water tank. Or losing pressure if you connect the recirculating pipe to the pump input as I saw in the product pictures.
I don't know your particular plumbing layout. Mine recirculates to the pump suction line. No problem with pressure. Your basically making a loop when in bypass mode. Nor do I think it's a problem to tap the return to the fill hose.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10-08-2023, 08:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehall View Post
What keeps the water from backfilling the recirculating pipe when filling the water tank?
Showermiser is a valve that you must keep closed when not in use. Closed equals no flow in either direction.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 11:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
What keeps the water from backfilling the recirculating pipe when filling the water tank?
Showermiser is a valve that you must keep closed when not in use. Closed equals no flow in either direction.
Even if it were left open, and if there is really any, very low, pressure in the fill tube, and the valve were left open, gravity won't let it backflow up the recirculating pipe.
This is a non-issue.