Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Shower leak 2019 Classic 30’

I thought I had read about leaking showers, but after scrolling through and searching, I’m just going to post.

Our new 2019 Classic is having two problems with leaking. One is minor. It appears that what is meant to prevent water from overflowing from the tray at the bottom of the shower door is not doing its job. The tray fills up and drops of water leak over the door, down the wood onto the floor. This was not a problem on our 2018. Maybe a new product on the newer door?

But the more serious problem is a leak coming from under the shower wall into the hallway and in the accordion door inset. It happens on longer showers. But I suspect it has more to do with the leak having more water to push through to the hallway and not that it isn’t leaking on every shower.

My question is whether or not there is something we could do sort of taking it to the dealer or JC to be fixed.? I know there is an access panel to the shower in the hanging closet and wonder if it might provide enough access to see and or fix the leak.

Has anyone had anything similar that they were able to resolve on their own like a loose connection at the faucet etc? I hate to have to drive it to be fixed.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwbarnard View Post
I thought I had read about leaking showers, but after scrolling through and searching, I’m just going to post.

Our new 2019 Classic is having two problems with leaking. One is minor. It appears that what is meant to prevent water from overflowing from the tray at the bottom of the shower door is not doing its job. The tray fills up and drops of water leak over the door, down the wood onto the floor. This was not a problem on our 2018. Maybe a new product on the newer door?

But the more serious problem is a leak coming from under the shower wall into the hallway and in the accordion door inset. It happens on longer showers. But I suspect it has more to do with the leak having more water to push through to the hallway and not that it isn’t leaking on every shower.

My question is whether or not there is something we could do sort of taking it to the dealer or JC to be fixed.? I know there is an access panel to the shower in the hanging closet and wonder if it might provide enough access to see and or fix the leak.

Has anyone had anything similar that they were able to resolve on their own like a loose connection at the faucet etc? I hate to have to drive it to be fixed.

We also thought we had a leak with the door. What we realized was that the water on the door after a shower would fall quickly off the door as you open the door to get out. We always saw a puddle just outside the door.

We now have a handheld squeegy we use to squeegy off the walls and door before getting out. No more puddles.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Cave Creek , Arizona
Quote:

I had both in a 2017 Classic.

The problem around the door was incomplete/poor caulking job where the vertical members of the door frame meet the bottom tray. It looked like it was caulked but water was leaking under it and then slowly dripping down the wood. I recommend ripping out the existing caulk and replace it completely - it was easy and quick and worked.

The leak under the wall had to do with the Kohler fixture where the water passes from the valve through the shower wall. It is a two-part design where there is a “loose” fitting mounted inside the wall and then a “locking” fitting mounted inside the shower. The locking fitting then has a cover connecting to the shower hose and held with a set screw. In my case the locking fitting was not tight causing a small leak. It was fixed by the dealer by removing the TV to put a wrench in the wall on the “loose” fitting (just to hold - not tighten), then they removed the cover hose (set screw removal), and then tightened the locking fitting with a large hex wrench which fits INSIDE the pipe through the wall. Took about 10 minutes, most of which was removing/replacing the TV.
Pete B55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:50 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
We went into the wall to look at the shower fittings. What we found after taking the first panel off in the hanging closet is another panel that does not line up with the first and only one screw is visible. The second panel would not budge with only one screw taken out. I guess this becomes a dealer repair.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:

Hi ajwbarnard,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 05-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1456.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	341332Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1472.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	341333
I had a similar issue with our new 22FB, but I first noticed it while de-winterizing. One of the fittings connecting the shower valve to the shower head had come apart.

The 22FB has a handy removable access panel. Rather than spending time and money hauling it to the dealer, I went to the hardware store and fixed it myself.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Going to go in for service. Our attempts to get the second access panel out to reach the shower controls were unsuccessful!