Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2017, 05:42 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Shakedown Repairs

After our first shakedown trip of over 3k miles we have some issues that need to be addressed and my question is should we take it back to the dealer or Airstream in Jackson City? My thinking is JC would be more knowledgeable and might find some things we haven't. Not knocking the dealer but the wait time is about the same and we are within a days drive to JC. Would like to hear some opinions.
Thank You in advance,
Mike
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:47 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Part of the equation is the "how soon" side of things. Often JC turns out to be pretty backed up in terms of doing this sort of thing. You probably will get in quicker / sooner at the dealer. It also depends a bit on how much you trust your specific dealer's service group. Some are better than others ....

For big stuff (I need a new wall in the wardrobe), JC makes a lot of sense. For little stuff (I need a new latch on the cabinet) the dealer likely will do a fine job. What needs to be done, also gets into this a bit.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #3
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I didn't find the work at JC to be any better or worse than dealers I've had service with. If it's a multiple day repair, ya might wanna consider someplace besides Jackson Center, unless you're droppin it off and goin back home. JC ain't the greatest place to spend a lotta time.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
If you have the opportunity to visit Jackson Center of the Universe, DO IT!
I believe that any 5 Rivet dealer will do the same excellent work as JC, but if you have not done a tour of the factory, it is not to be missed. I have never stayed at the terra port, but intend to do so!
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
What do you need fixed?
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:01 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
What do you need fixed?
Bunch of little things, door adjustment, one latch on window not working properly, etc. We are planning on going back to the dealer and see how it goes.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
We have taken our trailer back to the dealer for warranty repair with fair results. Not all service departments are created equal.

Finally we saved up our warranty issues and went to JC for warranty repairs and some mods.

It was well worth driving from Ga to Ohio to have it done. Interacting with the technician(s) assigned to work our trailer each day was priceless. Every morning, quick check during the day (sometimes) and an review at the end of the day of what has been accomplished and what is left, makes you feel involved and not just, here is my trailer, see you in a week.

We stayed in the terraport each night. Each morning they towed the trailer in and we met with the tech and the service person to discuss the days efforts.

They ask you to give them an idea of priorities and they work with that in mind. Constantly asking if what they are doing is what you had in mind.

Also fixed a few issues the dealership had problems with.
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #8
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well I reckon not all JC service techs are created equal either, cause my experience was not like that. The tech said I could sit around and watch him but when I suggested things and pointed out things he coulda done better, he didn't like that. I ended up leavin him to his thing and sittin bored outta my mind for a couple days. Now I gotta go back to the dealer and have them fix the things he did wrong. So, I guess ya never know.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

My experience with "helping" tech's is that it rarely turns out well in the end .... The ones smart enough to listen (and sort the information) don't need the help. The dumb ones get offended at the advice (and can't sort it out anyway).

This is by no means to imply that I accept advice gracefully

Bob
Old 10-26-2017, 03:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My typical way to work on Airstream problems is to talk to my self like I usually do. Engineers tend to do this naturally.

It's simply amazing what I can figure out when I hold a conversation with myself...both parties to the discussion seem to have good, cogent ideas, and useful solutions for any challenge. And I NEVER have a problem accepting the advice...

The best part is that my family thinks this is just the perfectly normal way of solving problems...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:47 PM   #11
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

My experience with "helping" tech's is that it rarely turns out well in the end .... The ones smart enough to listen (and sort the information) don't need the help. The dumb ones get offended at the advice (and can't sort it out anyway).

This is by no means to imply that I accept advice gracefully

Bob
His work wasn't good.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Most of the stuff I fixed on my Bambi was so simple I just did it. Not much different than little household repairs. Caulking, tighten a few screws and what not. Not worth a trip to the dealer. So far the new one has been perfect.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:54 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-K Georgia View Post
We have taken our trailer back to the dealer for warranty repair with fair results. Not all service departments are created equal.

Finally we saved up our warranty issues and went to JC for warranty repairs and some mods.

It was well worth driving from Ga to Ohio to have it done. Interacting with the technician(s) assigned to work our trailer each day was priceless. Every morning, quick check during the day (sometimes) and an review at the end of the day of what has been accomplished and what is left, makes you feel involved and not just, here is my trailer, see you in a week.

We stayed in the terraport each night. Each morning they towed the trailer in and we met with the tech and the service person to discuss the days efforts.

They ask you to give them an idea of priorities and they work with that in mind. Constantly asking if what they are doing is what you had in mind.

Also fixed a few issues the dealership had problems with.
This is exactly the experience we would expect going to JC and glad you shared it with us. If dealer doesn't work out, off to Ohio.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:05 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Most of the stuff I fixed on my Bambi was so simple I just did it. Not much different than little household repairs. Caulking, tighten a few screws and what not. Not worth a trip to the dealer. So far the new one has been perfect.
I hear ya, and love fixing stuff myself too BUT. When you buy an Airstream they represent quality in the RV business and the only way to keep quality control is to monitor the product. When you take it back for the little things that data should be collected and the next one off the assembly line should have those issues corrected. It's a pain but it holds them accountable and hopefully you end up with a better product. In the end it should improve there in process quality controls. Just my 2 cents and thanks for yours too.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:57 AM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
I hear ya, and love fixing stuff myself too BUT. When you buy an Airstream they represent quality in the RV business and the only way to keep quality control is to monitor the product. When you take it back for the little things that data should be collected and the next one off the assembly line should have those issues corrected. It's a pain but it holds them accountable and hopefully you end up with a better product. In the end it should improve there in process quality controls. Just my 2 cents and thanks for yours too.
Hi

That's a nice idea and it's been done in the RV / Automotive world for 50 years or more. Despite that, quality on all of this is what it is. It's a really tough nut to crack in a "hand labor" / short run environment. In an industry where everything is done by machines ... much easier.

Bob
Old 10-31-2017, 05:08 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
Copy that Bob! I have a lot of experience with making equipment individually by hand. It takes years to build a good team and set the proper standards that everyone can follow to come up with the same product no matter who on the team built it.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:07 AM   #17
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
It takes years to build a good team and set the proper standards that everyone can follow to come up with the same product no matter who on the team built it.
Well hopefully Airstream figures that out at some point!
Old 11-01-2017, 02:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
The problem with building a good team, especially today is work force retention. It was hard enough when I ran few places, cannot imagine how hard it is now with the new generation coming into the work force and having to expand from the what I believe is about 683 employees up to 900 as soon as possible.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:57 AM   #19
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Well, they were down around 160 or so employees about 10 years ago ....

Bob
Old 11-03-2017, 10:57 AM   #20
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
I was just haven’t this very discussion with my builder this week. New, younger folks are just not going into any of the Trades, plumbers, electrican, cabinet makers, tiles guys, welding, they just aren’t available. Younger gen all want climate control environment and one that doesn’t require physical labor. Huge labor shortages all over the country. A lot of unemployed MBA out there but have to wait 6 months sometimes a year to build a house.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote