Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
I know this was not asked to me but I went with the BlackVue 900 series two cam system. It is awesome. Built in Wifi makes transferring video from the cam to your phone or iPad super easy. Parking mode is also nice.
It always watching.....
This is the unit I have in the truck. I'm very happy with it's performance (day and night). I also bought a 128G flash card (class 10).

If it senses a crash, it automatically saves the file. If something like what happened to me happens, you can just touch the screen to save the video. Otherwise, it just writes in a continuous loop of 3 minute files overwriting the oldest file. 128G holds about 25 hours of 1280 HD footage front and back. It also senses if your car is hit in a parking lot and will record/save the footage.

AutoVox Rear View Mirror
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
a city in west GA , Georgia
Yes very glad everyone is alright! Thank-you for the links, on your cameras. They could/willbe helpful to others.
Joyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
The over-the-road professionals used to be a level-headed lot, and we rarely had trouble with the men and women driving the semis.

Now, definitely a mixed lot running the 18-wheelers.

About five years ago, a semi-driver ran me off I-10, in the Florida Panhandle (was not towing at the time). Pretty exciting doing 65 mph on the turf of the east-west divider.

Driver made it clear — shaking his fist, yelling, shooting the bird — that in his view I'd done something to ruin his day, but I didn't know what that could have been.

I wondered at the time if the truck driver had gulped down too many of the little white pills.

This summer, I had a driver tailgating me, as I was pulling the Airstream, in an end-of-the-world tropical storm. Got shockingly close, despite the can't-see-a-thing conditions. Also on I-10.

It is a different world out there, nowadays.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:46 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
Does this Audiovox require running a cable to the rear of your truck for the camera? If so, was that very difficult?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
​201​9 Atlas​
Saint Cloud , Florida
Had just about the same thing happen to me on the way home from picking up the Atlas in Ohio. I was in the right lane doing the speed limit on I-75 south. There are some pretty good hills to go up and I wasn't having a problem with them but a guy in a semi couldn't pass me so he forced me over onto an exit ramp. I lifted off the gas to let him in front of me when I realized he was struggling to maintain the speed to pass me. He just forced me over into an exit lane. It's a good thing I was paying attention or I most likely wound be in the grave yard. I believe this type of thing happens most likely from driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol or lack of sleep.
RGJZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:04 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Does this Audiovox require running a cable to the rear of your truck for the camera? If so, was that very difficult?
It has a cable that goes from the mirror to behind the dash about where the radio sits. I ran the cable to the passenger side, then down the support pylon then under the dash. there the cable breaks out into several connectors. Ignition on, always on, reverse signal, and rear cameral. I didn't use the reverse signal since I already have a reverse camera in the radio that does that. I ran the rear view camera through the firewall on the driver's side through an already existing hole, then under the truck zip-tied to the frame to the rear license plate where it is mounted. It looks very professional with no exposed wires. the system comes with some nice trim to hide the wires from the mirror up to the ceiling panel.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Truck drivers think they own the road. Good thing you had the dash cam. I’d revisit the road rage piece with the state police, particularly if you have footage
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
This sort of incident is another reason for RVer's to stay off the Interstates....the old routes run parallel to the Interstate system, a lot less traffic, better restaurants, lower fuel costs, and you have the extra bonus of seeing our country at it's best....
For whatever it's worth.
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:42 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
This sort of incident is another reason for RVer's to stay off the Interstates....the old routes run parallel to the Interstate system, a lot less traffic, better restaurants, lower fuel costs, and you have the extra bonus of seeing our country at it's best....
For whatever it's worth.
Larry

Love that idea. Hate being on 95 in CT for example - but sometimes the only option is 15 which is a parkway and not for RVs - some 9’ bridges. Whenever possible - it’s a great strategy!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
I'm guessing the driver was high on meth. Meth heads flare into road rage at the drop of a hat. I see examples of the breed far to often at rest stops, that haggard look, buggy eyes and jerky fidget are all tells.

Lets face it, the cheapo trucking firms don't pay their drivers enough to attract the actual professionals. Instead, along with earnest beginners, they get the down and out, barely hanging on types who use meth to help them through the day. Sad, but true. And dangerous for everybody.
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
. . .
The service guy said he'd never seen one with sheer patterns on the bolts like that. It was NOT caused by loose lug nuts.
Thanks for your extensive update. I hope you saved the old lug nuts. You might consider replacing each and every lug nut on the trailer, they all might have come from an entire batch of defective ones IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
This September on our way up to Jackson Center, Ohio pulling our trailer on the far left lane, staying around 60-65mph. A semi was passing in the right lane
and crossed into our lane too soon. Thank goodness my husband was paying attention. It was a near miss.
The interstate highways are always busy and the north
South corridor on I-75 is unusually so. It is used heavily by semi and cars alike.
With road construction and potholes and debris, it was a stressful driver that day We were glad to get off I-75 for the night.
Glad you were okay. Hope you are reimbursed
BassCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:15 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
They call ‘em “Door Swingers”

As a 42 year veteran (on and off) of operating big trucks all over North America I can assure anyone out there that the quality of the truck driver has gotten straight RIDICULOUS in the last decade or so! Mostly the mega carriers such as Swift but there are plenty more. The entry level driver is almost always pulling a dry van or a refrigerated van hence the swinging doors at the rear of the trailer. I could fill a whole page with horror stories just like yours of just the last couple of years. The absolute worst part of the country is Tennessee and anywhere south and east of there. The Minnesota through to southern Ohio is a close second. Anywhere west of I-29 and I-35 things get better real fast!
You did the right thing!!! I also encourage anyone else out there to do the same!

Be careful of anything with a pair of swingin’ doors on it!!!!!!
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
I'm over 60, and I've been driving cars and pickups for 47 years (damn, I didn't realize I was that old!). Since I'm from Texas, a lot of that was on interstates, both in urban areas and between urban areas. I almost never saw a truck weaving all over the road or almost run off the road until a few years ago. Now, no matter where I am, no matter what time of day or night, every single time I drive on the interstate I'm watching some large percentage of tractor trailer trucks nearly running into a ditch multiple times. Just one time, you might say: OK, they looked down at their phone, or dropped their soda, or momentarily dozed off. I always slow down immediately and let them pull waaaaaaay ahead. So I'm there to watch the same truck do it over and over. I don't know what the problem is, but it's scary as hell. I've started calling 911 about it, but don't know how they can do anything about it, since they don't see it.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
It sounds like you hadn’t checked the lug nut torque on your wheels and lost one wheel while driving.
Are you folks serious?

The studs were sheered off the brake drum! I'm going with the wheel hit a hidden barrier and broke loose.
Truck assault.

I've had a UPS truck get my attention. He pulled alongside and pointed, I got it.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
So I'm dieing to see the video!!!! 🍿 🍿

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Ephraim, I’m sorry for the doubters but glad you are safe and hope that justice will catch up to that particular truck driver.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Just waiting to see the dash cam. I like to stay off the interstates too, much more relaxed on the secondary roads.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:05 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Dashcam Video finally uploaded

Remember that these are wide-angle cameras (> 140 degrees) so they minimize motion. the motions of the vehicles were much more pronounced when it was happening.

Front-view Camera:

Rear-view Camera

THAT is why I own a Pro-pride hitch!
Old 10-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #40
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Have experienced this several times on the road with weaving semi's. Drivers on the phone, texting, eating, or some other poor attempt at multi-tasking. Have had to back-off and let them go or wait for a safe opportunity to pass.

But curious as to what caused the wheel to shear off?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote