Old 08-10-2020, 05:37 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Rivets to hold door latch Pin?

Hi - I have a brand new Classic 30 and need to replace two rivets from the door latch pin from the ride home. I am guessing they were never installed right.

I have done a bunch of research and am (cautiously) prepared to fix most rivets. However, I wanted to get on this one specifically since it fits into a plate behind the pin.

I will drill out the small remaining pieces, which probably won't fall because they are in the plate behind the pin. Then install. I can't see anything else that needs to be done? Is there anything specific I should do here as part of the install or will it work like any other spot?

NOTE - one of the pictures shows the rivets in...but I just stuck the broken tops back in there to keep the pin from twisting so the door would latch.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1857.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	375386   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1841.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	375387  

mountaindrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Those just look like standard pop rivets - which should be fine for that application. Just be sure to use the ones with aluminum shanks (instead of steel).

Shari

WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Those just look like standard pop rivets - which should be fine for that application. Just be sure to use the ones with aluminum shanks (instead of steel).

Shari
Thanks! Any tips on how to know the length to use? The kit from Home Depot comes in short, medium, long.....(and I know it also includes steel which I will NOT use).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Ri...dalType=drawer
Old 08-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 25' Safari
2018 26' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
North Central Texas , USA
For length of rivet, I'm not sure how thick the backing plate is so I would make a 'depth gauge' with a paper-clip, piece of stiff wire, etc. Make a small hook (<~1/4") on the end of the clip/wire, insert into rivet hole and turn the 'hook' and pull back lightly to engage the inside edge of the backing plate. Mark the clip/wire or hold your thumb at the outside surface and now you know how much material your rivet needs to cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8120.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	375419  

Retired: DEC et al
W5EV
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
^ x2. What he said.

The rivet should be a bit longer than the depth...so the 'mushroom' on the back will 'catch'. If it's too short, the back won't expand enough and it could pull through pretty easy enlarging the hole as it does so. If it's too long, it may not tighten enough. Probably a 'short' (⅛") or medium (¼") will be fine. (Maybe the factory used ⅛" and it was too short (?) so it didn't grab enough)

*Tip* - We have a plastic box with about 20 little dividers where we have all kinds/sizes of rivets so we don't have to run out to the hardware store every time we need a different one...we call it "the rivet house" - it's where rivets live.

Shari

Old 08-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Arn't the rivet's there just to hold the backing plate that the latch pin is bolted too?
Two aluminum rivets don't contribute much.

Bob
🇺🇸

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Arn't the rivet's there just to hold the backing plate that the latch pin is bolted too?
Two aluminum rivets don't contribute much.

Bob
🇺🇸
I wonder why there are rivets there in the first place. I thought the latch pin could be loosened and moved slightly to align it with the door latch. Isn't the plate the nut plate that the pin screws into? If it is riveted, is there any adjustment remaining? Maybe it is a backing plate that also has a slightly enlarged hole. I'll have to look but I don't remember rivets there on my trailer.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I wonder why there are rivets there in the first place. I thought the latch pin could be loosened and moved slightly to align it with the door latch. Isn't the plate the nut plate that the pin screws into? If it is riveted, is there any adjustment remaining? Maybe it is a backing plate that also has a slightly enlarged hole. I'll have to look but I don't remember rivets there on my trailer.
Yep, they go into the plate the pin screws into. I didn't check to see if there was any looseness with the rivets back in...maybe so.

Thanks all for the help and tips. My first rivets successfully installed in 30 seconds. For what its worth for anyone that finds this down the line...I used the 1/8" and "short" aluminum rivets and it seemed to work perfectly.

Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
^ x2. What he said.

The rivet should be a bit longer than the depth...so the 'mushroom' on the back will 'catch'. If it's too short, the back won't expand enough and it could pull through pretty easy enlarging the hole as it does so. If it's too long, it may not tighten enough. Probably a 'short' (⅛") or medium (¼") will be fine. (Maybe the factory used ⅛" and it was too short (?) so it didn't grab enough)

*Tip* - We have a plastic box with about 20 little dividers where we have all kinds/sizes of rivets so we don't have to run out to the hardware store every time we need a different one...we call it "the rivet house" - it's where rivets live.

Shari
I saw this after I installed this evening. If they come out again, I may try the medium next time (I installed the short). I bought a small assortment and will have to build out my own kit. Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
^ x2. What he said.

Shari
I've never had a problem with rivets that are too long not getting tight enough, may need to ratchet it tight though.(tighten sum then release and tighten the rest of the way)
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:48 PM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
A couple of stainless sheet metal screws, would work, and look better.

Bob
🇺🇸

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
A couple of stainless sheet metal screws, would work, and look better.

Bob
🇺🇸
Funny, I almost did this exact thing. Seems like a way better solution....next time.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Forgive me, but what is the purpose of the two rivets?
It's not to adjust the door bolt, because that's adjusted by the hex nut. I hear backing plate, but backing what? it can't move with the bolt, otherwise the holes wouldn't line up.
I could imagine it holds a second layer of aluminum so the door bolt has some stiffer material to clamp onto.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:13 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
I've never had a problem with rivets that are too long not getting tight enough, may need to ratchet it tight though.(tighten sum then release and tighten the rest of the way)
Like my grandpa used to say about shoes...

"I'm a size 9, but 10's feel so good, I wear 11's".

Shari

Old 08-17-2020, 06:30 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Forgive me, but what is the purpose of the two rivets?
It's not to adjust the door bolt, because that's adjusted by the hex nut. I hear backing plate, but backing what? it can't move with the bolt, otherwise the holes wouldn't line up.
I could imagine it holds a second layer of aluminum so the door bolt has some stiffer material to clamp onto.
It holds the plate the pin screws into. As long as the pin is screwed in, you are good. But if you take out the pin, and have no rivets there, the plate will fall to the bottom of the door frame.