Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2021, 03:57 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Spearfish , South Dakota
Why don't you renew the ATT plan? We just ordered our Classic, 30 ft, and the dealership is offering some sort of ATT plan for wired and not prewired. For the first year of full time RV living internet will be important because my wife will need it for work. After that we really don't care if we have it or not.
JTChapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:01 PM   #22
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTChapmon;
Why don't you renew the ATT plan? We just ordered our Classic, 30 ft, and the dealership is offering some sort of ATT plan for wired and not prewired. For the first year of full time RV living internet will be important because my wife will need it for work. After that we really don't care if we have it or not.

The unicorn $360/year annual Pre-paid airstream plan with att that was wide open, uncapped, not throttled and not network managed is no longer available and cannot be renewed. It was only offered for about a year.

Alternative plans are available but don’t come close to what you got with the original airstream-att offer.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:39 PM   #23
Furthur

2021 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Golden , Colorado
Pay attention to the details and fine print with any of these plans. T-mobile 55+ limits any hotspot usage to 3G speeds that would be useless for anything but crawling through email. You can upgrade to the Magenta 55+ plan and get all of 3GB of hotspot at 4G LTE before being cut back to 3G speeds. This plan is fine for phone use, but pretty useless for use as a hotspot for linking to your computer or other data devices. The T-mobile prepaid data plan is better for data usage - but depending on how you are going to use it. I strongly recommend rvmobileinternet.com as a source of information regarding the available data plans and equipment if you need something beyond what you can get on your cell phones without using it as a hotspot. Their yearly membership is well worth it for what the information provided. I am not affiliated with them at all; I just use their website (found with strong recommendations from a number of folks on the Forums).
WP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:15 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigler View Post
Patience everyone Starlink from Tesla is coming.
Starlink satellites are intended for northern latitudes at this time. And if their download speeds are like Hughes Internet, you will not be happy. Signals from space dont run as fast as cables on telephone poles.
Stick with ATT, they have towers all over the country and provide reliable service
suncoasteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
There is no good alternative / comparable plan available on the market today.

www.rvmobileinternet.com will have a review of the "next best" options...
I second Wulfraat's recommendation of RVmobileinternet. They are the bomb for internet connectivity.

MIke
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:16 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Hillsboro , Texas
Interested in following.

Thanks
meschelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:22 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmckean View Post
I spoke to AT&T Customer Service just last week about it. If you purchased the original unlimited unthrottled plan which was prior to January 2020. As long as you continue to pay the annual fee, the original AT&T plan is grandfathered and will stay with you until either you unsubscribe or change plans. The same holds true with the cell phone service. You can call AT&T Customer Service, have your Data Card phone number assigned to the Airstream Connect and account number, or ask for it.
Hi

As noted in other posts, there are hotspot specific plans and there are "normal" plans. We have a conventional unlimited plan that works for all our gear (phones and hotspots). We've had it for years and it just keeps on going. Indeed as noted, there are some limits on this or that device. If we hit one (which is rare for us) we switch to another device. As I recall, data to a hotspot is capped but data through a phone is not.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:59 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Did a search on Starlink. Cost is $99 per month. Initial equipment is about $500. It will be faster than present satellite systems with download at up to 25mbps and upload at up to 3mbps. 10x’s faster than 4G, but not as fast as 5G. I wonder when the 5G network is widespread this may kind of take over and just as the cell phone has eliminated land lines this could do the same with the internet.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Did a search on Starlink. Cost is $99 per month. Initial equipment is about $500. It will be faster than present satellite systems with download at up to 25mbps and upload at up to 3mbps. 10x’s faster than 4G, but not as fast as 5G. I wonder when the 5G network is widespread this may kind of take over and just as the cell phone has eliminated land lines this could do the same with the internet.
We don't think that we will ever be AS full timers, but we do get out a lot on weekends and weeks as they present.....I can't imagine that 5G will ever be the required goto method of data.....I do have some sour grapes as the AS connected was 4x the cost to install to get screwed over by AT&T.

But still, even at 4G LTE, Netflix and normal streaming 4G is still fast enough to handle that.....Starlink I think would be awesome, but compatibility with existing antenna's and a whole brand new eco system scares me....I love Musk....but being that new and unknown....it's a tough sell.

Gotta thank the morons that ruined the unlimited plan for AS connect....what a mess this has created for those that opted-in on the unicorn.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
T-mobile just rolled out a 100GB/month $50 plan.
Is TMobile that good? it does not work well in Ventura, CA and outside of cities...

I used to have TMobile, but had to change to ATT.

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
800–288–2020; I spent about an hour and half being passed around the world, Philippines, India, Mexico, etc. Nobody recognizes Airstream Connect. You have a Data Plan associated with a phone number, they may have to help you find it using your name and address. AT&T Airstream Connect streams Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, etc. without a glitch. Excellent wifi coverage unless you are in a location that has weak AT&T or some mountainous areas (ie. Yellowstone - west side is good AT&T and weak Verizon/east side is vice a versa)
smmckean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
.....streams Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV, etc. without a glitch. Excellent wifi coverage unless you are in a location that has weak AT&T or some mountainous areas (ie. Yellowstone - west side is good AT&T and weak Verizon/east side is vice a versa)
Yes, this part I know as I do it all the time, I'm looking to get ahold of the group to be able to pay and extend the plan as you mentioned.

I'll give that number a try and see what we come up with.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2021, 05:37 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
800–288–2020; I spent about an hour and half being passed around the world,
Gottcha beat....just spent 4 hours and go to someone who is telling me to "let it run out" and you can add the plan back on.....which is complete horseshi.....

Please advise on:

Did they do it manually for you on the phone?
Did you do it on the phone/website?
What department did you land it to make it work?
How long did you extend it for?
Did they let you do multiple year extensions?

I'll be calling back tomorrow.

EDIT: They tried to have me do it via self service on the website...but that got me no where....complete waste of time.

I have 93 days left to get this sorted out.....look up ClusterF...and you'll find AT&T's logo there.....
Old 01-28-2021, 07:16 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
Hi

Those speeds are about half what we might get with "4G" cell service. The banner headline speeds for 5G are roughly 20X those numbers. Good luck ever finding the one spot in the universe where you can *get* those 5G numbers ...

With any system, the issues are always buried in the details. If a whole bunch of people hop on the same tower (or satellite) speeds go down. How many people is that before you see an impact ? Who knows .... (are you all sharing 25 Mbps or 25 Gbps ?)

The other fun thing with satellite based systems is the round trip delay. Your signal goes a *long* way up and a long way back down before it connects to the internet. In some systems this gets your "ping" times up close to a second. That can take the fun out of a lot of internet activities.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:32 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2018 33' Classic
Weatherford , Texas
Call the number, ask for customer service, you have a data plan. If you know the number associated with it, reference that, if not use your name and address. (write down the account number and the data plan phone number. Ask for some one in the US. They should look at your plan and tell you if you have unlimited and unthrottled that has been uninterrupted (lapse in service/unsubscribed).
smmckean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Call the number, ask for customer service, you have a data plan. If you know the number associated with it, reference that, if not use your name and address. (write down the account number and the data plan phone number. Ask for some one in the US. They should look at your plan and tell you if you have unlimited and unthrottled that has been uninterrupted (lapse in service/unsubscribed).
I did all of that, landed in Advanced Tech Support. The guy was telling me to let it run out and then it should show up and I can renew it.......I know that is complete crap....

I'll be updating the thread with some valuable info....but customer service was asked for and I kept getting transferred.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:02 PM   #37
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
If you are trying to renew the AirstreamConnect $360/year AT&T pre-paid plan you cannot.

AT&T are not permitting renewals of that pre-paid plan.

You will need to select a new plan when your service is shut off when the current 12 month period runs out. It is what it is, this is not a plan that has been grandfathered.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
If you are trying to renew the AirstreamConnect $360/year AT&T pre-paid plan you cannot.

AT&T are not permitting renewals of that pre-paid plan.

You will need to select a new plan when your service is shut off when the current 12 month period runs out. It is what it is, this is not a plan that has been grandfathered.
I've been on the phone for the last hour and 4 hours yesterday, they said to me directly....that the plan has been grandfathered....sooooooooooo.....yeah, I'm squeezing them.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:08 PM   #39
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster;
I've been on the phone for the last hour and 4 hours yesterday, they said to me directly....that the plan has been grandfathered....sooooooooooo.....yeah, I'm squeezing them.
Roger that. Keep everyone posted on if that works out. Lots of information floating around... I could be wrong, hope I am.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:20 AM   #40

2008 28' Safari
St Peters , Missouri
I’ve tried Verizon and a few others they didn’t work very often I got “Unlimited WiFi” bought a $300 Netgear Night Hawk, portable, because it has antenna capability, a exterior receiver that I made a bracket to attach to my antenna pole...the wire connectors were much different than I had ever seen but of course Amazon had it all. One attached and setup I’ve been able to get WiFi phone and use my fire stick in 85% of the places I’ve been in the last year... there’s some months I’ve used close to 500 gigs... that’s right 500...I’ve had it for a year and sometimes it slows down I’ve gained some patients, lol, but I’m very happy with it compared to others ... I even am able to throw the fully charged battery Netgear portable in my backpack and take it with me around town or on short hikes and it works most of the time, battery holds about 3 or 4?hours of charge...sold full timer
Smackworth is offline   Reply With Quote