Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2021, 09:20 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tappahannock , Virginia
I’m convinced the RV data solution will be resolved by Elon Musk’s Starlink service which should be released this spring. It’s already operational and beta testing in the northern latitudes where most of the satellite coverage is currently. Personally I’ve given up research on carrier plans because Starlink will offer service everywhere including the vast wilderness not serviced by cell carriers! I think it will be night and day over Wi-Fi and cell services!

2015 25’ Flying Cloud
2015 RAM 2500 Laramie Cummins
WBCCI # 2381
RivaHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:44 AM   #42

Dania , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
That is a good per GB rate. No a bad option if you can deal with / travel within their network footprint. Roaming has caveats on native carrier data plans. VZ and AT&T are the go-to footprint, typically.

Personally, I use 400GB / mo run rate when working on the road. So if you are after a truly "comparable" unlimited data/un-capped speed/non-network throttled plan there is none not he market today, unless you are like me and have held onto an old SIM card / plan that is no longer offered.

All depends on your monthly usage and travel area I suppose.

Wulfraat, can I ask what set up you use to accommodate your high data usage then??

We are about to start full timing in March and I work from home. No idea my data usage exactly, but I’m on the internet a lot (meteorologist) and rely on data downloads, plus zoom calls etc. so I’m think it’s a lot- maybe as much as you.

My current thought is:
-T mobile plan $50 for 100GB
- husband’s Verizon hotspot another 30GB
- connecting to WiFi when it’s good (our rv park claims WiFi but have no tried it out yet)

Note, we will mainly be stationary at an RV park 80-90% of the time so we are not initially planning on roaming a lot since his job is local here. So whichever carrier works best we would use that plan or rely on WiFi.

Suggestions??
C.Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:06 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
Check out the Cricket 100 GB for 90$ / month plan. They are finicky about the type of router you use, check your IMEI with them, but I think the Pepwave Max Br1 that Airstream installed qualifies.

No network management. No throttling. They run on the AT&T network. As stared above, check out Mobile Internet Resource Center, the BEST reference source around!
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:57 AM   #44
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Replacement for AT&T Unlimited

Few things.

I’m on video conference calls typically 7-9 hours per day.

I easily exchange 0.5-1.5 GB with of documents (PowerPoint, videos, etc) with colleagues per day.

My Apple MacBook has real-time iCloud synchronization enabled. Anytime a document changes on my hard drive it is uploaded / updated / replicated in the cloud.

In the evening we watch some net flicks, etc. and there are other a few other devices in our airstream network too.

At home we use about 1.2-1.3 terabytes per month. That being said gaming machines at home contribute pretty significantly to that number.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 12:33 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
DESERT HOT SPRINGS , California
The Cellular Triumvirate

"My current thought is:
-T mobile plan $50 for 100GB
- husband’s Verizon hotspot another 30GB
- connecting to WiFi when it’s good (our rv park claims WiFi but have no tried it out yet)"

We began full-time two months ago, so we're not experts yet LOL. My husband teaches online via Zoom 4 days a week plus there are meetings, online tests, etc. It's important to have consistent reliable internet so we decided to get plans from the usual 3 providers. We jumped on the T-Mobile 100GB plan first day and it works well in the Pepwave Max, a second slightly more robust unit we purchased separate from the Pepwave in the Classic (which works ok too for checking web or email in a pinch). The Pepwave Max BR1 MK2 LTEA picks up signal way better than the little hotspot device (Franklin T9) we got from T-Mobile.

Next, we have a Verizon hotspot, 30GB (15GB doubled bonus 15GB), using their device but we're going to install that in the Pepwave too so we can control our usage between Verizon and T-Mobile. Still the Verizon MiFi unit is pretty robust too.

Finally, we have our cellular with At&t, with each of our phones able to provide 30GB hotspot usage, plus we have 30GB data plan from At&t on Netgear Nighthawk device, which works very well also.

Campground Wifi, we've learned, is not to be counted on. We're in a nice park but the WiFi is really not that great, unless you're by the office possibly. However the Pepwave sitting by the window does an impressive job keeping us connected. As for streaming, if you can adjust your picture to 480p from 1080p, that helps reduce data usage too.
tymcknobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:02 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
I've been on the phone for the last hour and 4 hours yesterday, they said to me directly....that the plan has been grandfathered....sooooooooooo.....yeah, I'm squeezing them.
Hope you recorded the call... If not I don't think you have much to squeeze with. Just let them know you are recording the call so you have the info for later in case you forget, ask them if that is OK, and be sure that question and their answer is on your recording.

Our plan runs out in June. Right now I assume I'll have to find a totally different plan. But wouldn't it be great if you could get an additional year or two out of the AT&T plan due to an "administrative error" on some AT&T idiot's mistake.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:07 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ondaroadagin View Post
Check out the Cricket 100 GB for 90$ / month plan.
Interesting. Do they have a higher GB per month plan?

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:31 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
The cricket plan is about the same as what att offers. 300 for 300... and your not piggybacking on the network. Like everyone not happy about the discontinuation but living with the choices.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:07 PM   #49

lyman , NH
We found a good plan

We've had good results with Visible. Unlimited everything for $35.00/month. Paired with a micro router, an old Wilson booster, and Roku have pretty much everything we need.
There have been a few spots where we were unable to get signal, but we don't mind driving out a couple of miles to pick it up.
Lorimarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:38 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
We got the T-Mobile 55+ plan when it first came out for myself and my wife for $60 per month total for both of us combined unlimited. We have traveled all over North America, Central and South America, Southeast Asia, Australia and New Zealand. In most places if there is any cell signal, we have had service where ever we go. In many foreign countries the data will slow to 2G, but the phone and texting work well. We spent a couple months in Quebec, Labrador & Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick two years ago and where there was cell service, it always worked at LTE and 4G speed in most places. The really odd thing was when we were on our way home and were at a Maryland State Park, we had no signal for T-Mobile, but with another phone using Total Wireless (uses Verizon signal) we had a good connection.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 04:46 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Wherever I may roam , America
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Carlson View Post
Note, we will mainly be stationary at an RV park 80-90% of the time so we are not initially planning on roaming a lot since his job is local here. So whichever carrier works best we would use that plan or rely on WiFi.

Suggestions??
In that case you might be able to get a cable internet connection direct from the provider, if that park has cable connections at each site. Definitely worth looking into.
johnparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:08 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
DFW , Texas
We are AT&T customers. I replaced the sim in the Airstream hotspot with a new sim from AT&T and added it to our unlimited plan for $20 per month. It’s been working great for 3-months and no complaints.
no_worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Our plan runs out in June. Right now I assume I'll have to find a totally different plan. But wouldn't it be great if you could get an additional year or two out of the AT&T plan due to an "administrative error" on some AT&T idiot's mistake.

Steve
Our plan is still active until May. I'll have more info on the outcome in a few days....but your points are noted.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:51 PM   #54

2019 22' Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_worries View Post
We are AT&T customers. I replaced the sim in the Airstream hotspot with a new sim from AT&T and added it to our unlimited plan for $20 per month. It’s been working great for 3-months and no complaints.
We are getting a new airstream soon. Please tell me how to do this. I have AT&T for cell service.
Thanks
Happicampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:11 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Ann Arbor , Michigan
Full timing while working

We have been on road full time for about 18 months. i work 9-12 hours per week mostly non stop zoom calls plus low level data transfer. Not being able to reliably log on with a minimum 5 Mbs upload and download speeds is simply not an option ( more is better of course). I would estimate our use at about 200 - 250 GB per month. We very frequently use Weboost with a self raising 4 foot antenna on top of AS to improve signal.

My main point is this: for full timers who are working (and need at least zoom call level data speeds) connectivity will Greatly influence where you go and how much anxiety you will have getting there. You can always skip Netflix for a cool location with a poor signal but skipping work is not an option.

We did not want to compromise our wanderlust hence:

A
3 cell phones:
ATnT unlimited plan 22 Gb /15gb Htspt
Verizon get more unlimited 75gb/30 htspt
T-Mobile unlimited 30 gb htspt

(Unlimited” means you are unthrottled until the first number eg 75gb for Verizon but above that your data transmission may be slowed during congestion. If you cross your hotspot limit )

B
Weboost with a 4 foot self raising antenna, used very frequently.

C
Speedify App that allows you to combine multiple cellphones to boost speed

D
And rarely setting up a backdrop in the tow vehicle and driving to a location with better cell reception my moboile office :-)

E
Minimize using hotspot data for personal use, eg when watching Netflix we don’t use Apple TV but rather play the movie on the phone and/or use an iPhone to HDMI adapter and connect to tv for viewing.

All of this is costly but it maximizes freedom and greatly reduces anxiety.
MandN is offline   Reply With Quote