Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2022, 01:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rome , Georgia
Propride Recomendations

I have purchased a 2019 Classic 30ft that came with a Propride hitch. Pull it with a 2016 RAM 2500 4WD, Mega Cab. Also have air bag on rear. Working on dialing in the hitch. Still having some sway primarily when downhill , slowing down and in a gradual curve. The hitch is set in the lowest configuration so the trailer is level when hitched. Im setting the WD jacks at 6 inches and the trailer remains level. I keep the airbags with around 7 lbs. Any thoughts on anything I can do to eliminate the sway or is this just to be expected? Thanks.

PS- I’ve have spoke with Propride customers service. They have been extremely helpful.
BLPeace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 04:42 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Are you sure you’re swaying? It’s pretty much impossible with a ProPride.

Without wanting to patronize you, I think what you are feeling is when you are applying brakes, the trailer pushes forward and turns the main ProPRide unit either to the right or left of your stinger. When driving it feels like a bump from behind.

To solve this you have to increase the brake controller setting, you want the trailer to sliiiightly apply more brakes than the car.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 05:32 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rome , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHM View Post
Are you sure you’re swaying? It’s pretty much impossible with a ProPride.

Without wanting to patronize you, I think what you are feeling is when you are applying brakes, the trailer pushes forward and turns the main ProPRide unit either to the right or left of your stinger. When driving it feels like a bump from behind.

To solve this you have to increase the brake controller setting, you want the trailer to sliiiightly apply more brakes than the car.

Thanks. Worth a try. My control setting is at 5.
Old 03-06-2022, 06:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
When going down hill or just slowing down without applying the brakes you will feel the pivot points shift from one side to the other. Same thing happens when backing up. It is normal and you get use to the sensation. I would not use the trailer brakes more than usual just to keep the trailer in tension. Hard on the trailer brakes and not necessary under normal conditions. Try using the manual trailer brake control to get use to the feeling. All is well.
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 06:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I agree with above. About impossible to have it sway;
1) Make sure your yoke is set up right. It can shift to one side or another if everything isn’t tightened down properly. This should be checked on a regular basis.
2) Make sure everything is tight to the proper specs. Always carry a torque wrench.
3) I have my gain set to 7. (of course all gain sets are different). If the gain isn’t set exactly right the trailer yoke will shift to the right or left and push the pickup. One way to make sure it is set right is to go to a level parking lot and do some stops. If you hear any kind of “clunking” it means the trailer is moving forward and you are getting what is called a “hensley bump.” Set your gain so you don’t hear that and it is a good indication your trailer and truck are stoping in tandem. If you hear any kind of “bump” you want to increase the gain.

When you get it set up right the truck stops really quite well. You just don’t want the trailer stoping before the truck.

Once you get it set right you will love it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
I have a ProPride on a 25-footer. I agree that you can get a little ProPride/Hensley bump but if you do, you might want to tune the gain on the brake controller.

A gain of 5 seems a bit low but it's easy to adjust. 25 MPH hit the brakes fairly hard. If the trailer wheels skid, back off the gain. If they don't skid, keep increasing the gain until they do skid then back off a notch.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 09:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
I have a 25' with a ProPride, and I did have to go through just a little bit of "tuning" my brake controller gain, after switching to the ProPride. My tow vehicle is an F-250, and I settled on a gain of 7.5 as my best setting. I also think we have to be careful about describing sway vs simple movement. I love the ProPride, it is by far the best/most stable hitch I have used for elimination of sway (fairly limited experience) and I have been in some 40+ mph cross winds a couple times, it is rock solid for me. Some describe the experience differently than I would, because there is *some* movement of the trailer, but it is so slight it is completely inconsequential in my view. It is easy to get the impression that the hitch produces the equivalent of a straight steel pipe but I feel like that is a little too much emphasis on how straight things are. It is a great hitch, and I would get it again, but for me the trailer can have some tiny bit movement in it, when I tow. I might be more particular about that than others, but I do consider it so inconsequential that I rarely mention it. Given your description of it happening mostly in a downhill or a deceleration, it seems like the brake controller might be the one area you should refine a bit but I would still caution you to expect to feel some things or see some movement from time to time. Also believe your 30' trailer will likely induce more impacts than my 25' so that is another variable to contend with.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 06:55 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Austin , Texas
We have the Hensley on our 30’ International 2019 and the TV is a 2020 F250 Diesel. The Hensley, like the Pro Pride eliminates sway. I have towed with other hitches that did not control sway like the Hensley. I have dialed my brake controller to 6.5 for best performance. That eliminates the bump and we travel with a smile from ear to ear without and white knuckle driving during very windy travel days. For comfort and safety this is the only way we will travel.
Powerrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:27 AM   #9
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
It seems like I learn something new everyday from this forum. Occasionally I have the bump when stopping. I never thought of adjusting the brake controller to eliminate it. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks to all for the information!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:41 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rome , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLPeace1 View Post
I have purchased a 2019 Classic 30ft that came with a Propride hitch. Pull it with a 2016 RAM 2500 4WD, Mega Cab. Also have air bag on rear. Working on dialing in the hitch. Still having some sway primarily when downhill , slowing down and in a gradual curve. The hitch is set in the lowest configuration so the trailer is level when hitched. Im setting the WD jacks at 6 inches and the trailer remains level. I keep the airbags with around 7 lbs. Any thoughts on anything I can do to eliminate the sway or is this just to be expected? Thanks.

PS- I’ve have spoke with Propride customers service. They have been extremely helpful.

Update: returned last week from 3 weeks on the road. Pulled much better!!
Also got a lot of practice hooking up. Keeps getting easier

One purpose of my trip was to get the coach’s annual service. Received great service from Airstream of Tampa.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:53 PM   #11
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLPeace1 View Post
Update: returned last week from 3 weeks on the road. Pulled much better!!
Also got a lot of practice hooking up. Keeps getting easier

One purpose of my trip was to get the coach’s annual service. Received great service from Airstream of Tampa.
Hi BL,

Good to hear the trip went well. Just curious where home is?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 06:24 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Rome , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Hi BL,

Good to hear the trip went well. Just curious where home is?

We live in Northwest Georgia.