Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Problems with Airstream® Smart App

A few weeks ago, my phone stopped working with the Airstream® Smart App. It says it's connected, but the data are either missing or gibberish. If I connect to my trailer's wifi, then everything works as designed.

Any other Classic owners having problems with this connectivity?
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:10 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Just checked mine and it seems to be working fine. I would try turning the router on and off. I have had problems with the cell connection and it would correct itself after rebooting.
rlyoung1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlyoung1952 View Post
Just checked mine and it seems to be working fine. I would try turning the router on and off. I have had problems with the cell connection and it would correct itself after rebooting.
I have rebooted several times. I called Airstream customer service, and I was informed that they pushed out some new modem firmware recently and they have had quite a lot of problems since. I am just trying to gauge how big of a problem this is.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Check your modem. Make sure the ethernet cable (that leads to the Czone) is plugged into the LAN port, not the LAN/WAN port. The update they pushed out turned off the LAN/WAN port and while you can connect to the wifi, it can't see anything connected to that port. If your Czone is plugged in there you get errors whenever to try to control anything.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
Check your modem. Make sure the ethernet cable (that leads to the Czone) is plugged into the LAN port, not the LAN/WAN port. The update they pushed out turned off the LAN/WAN port and while you can connect to the wifi, it can't see anything connected to that port. If your Czone is plugged in there you get errors whenever to try to control anything.
I’ll take a look at this when I’m back at the trailer again in a few days. My symptoms sound like something your fix would resolve. I haven’t changed anything from the OEM setup…does this mean anything?
Old 07-26-2021, 04:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybauman View Post
I’ll take a look at this when I’m back at the trailer again in a few days. My symptoms sound like something your fix would resolve. I haven’t changed anything from the OEM setup…does this mean anything?
when they installed it, either port would work. They may have plugged it into the WAN port and it didn't matter. technically, they shouldn't have turned it off because that port was being used as a work-around due to a problem with the peplink's original firmware. anyway, it can't hurt to check that.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
I was at my trailer this afternoon and I confirm that the yellow CZone cable is plugged into LAN. I can control when I'm connected to the Airstream's wifi. When I'm not, I still have zero control. (I cannot control anything at any time when I have it plugged into the LAN/WAN port.)

Clearly the modem firmware update did a number on me.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Clearly the modem firmware update did a number on me.
It has screwed up a lot of people.

My 2nd router was attached to it, took a bit to figure out the LAN2 port was disabled with the new update.

There is a lengthy forum post on Peplink about this issue....so it isn't unique to Airstream and it is affecting multiple models... Some where saying that even downgrading to a previous version did not fix the issue...so this update seems to be a clusterfu...
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:49 PM   #9
Toaster Life

2010 23' International
Tucson , Arizona
So sorry to hear about your issue, I'm glad my older rig is mostly mechanical, I just can't get my head around wifi controls for an Airstream that might see most of its use out of reach of cell signals. the whole "universe of things" terrifies me - you get it all working after hours of aggravation, then a so called "software UPGRADE" send everything sideways and you are back to square 1.
Toasterlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 06:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasterlife View Post
So sorry to hear about your issue, I'm glad my older rig is mostly mechanical, I just can't get my head around wifi controls for an Airstream that might see most of its use out of reach of cell signals. the whole "universe of things" terrifies me - you get it all working after hours of aggravation, then a so called "software UPGRADE" send everything sideways and you are back to square 1.
True, and this falls yet again under the umbrella of proper QC controls on these systems. They push this crap out without testing it for all the configurations they have and the customer pays the price for it.

Most think that the latest and greatest must be the best...but it is not always the case. Sometimes they fix one thing and break another... and usually that is unintentional but it happens.

I couldn't imagine not being able to read my tanks because Czone is all screwed up because of a Pepwave firmware upgrade. There should always be a backup in my opinion.

Since I don't have Czone I can't speak to it, but from what I hear, without the Pepwave working right, you can't see your tank levels??? OMG...if that is true...no one at Airstream thought that this may be a problem??

What a cluster....
Old 08-10-2021, 07:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
True, and this falls yet again under the umbrella of proper QC controls on these systems. They push this crap out without testing it for all the configurations they have and the customer pays the price for it.

Most think that the latest and greatest must be the best...but it is not always the case. Sometimes they fix one thing and break another... and usually that is unintentional but it happens.

I couldn't imagine not being able to read my tanks because Czone is all screwed up because of a Pepwave firmware upgrade. There should always be a backup in my opinion.

Since I don't have Czone I can't speak to it, but from what I hear, without the Pepwave working right, you can't see your tank levels??? OMG...if that is true...no one at Airstream thought that this may be a problem??

What a cluster....
You have mischaracterized the situation. While I’m in my trailer, I can view/control everything through the CZone system. As ever, I can still read tank levels and tire pressures, control the blinds, see how much propane I have left, etc.

The problem, it appears, arose when Pepwave pushed out some update to the Airstream Connect router in my trailer. Summarily, I can no longer monitor/control the trailer on my phone from remote locations.

Yeah, I know…first world problems. But I did pay for the functionality and I have a reasonable expectation for the system to work like it did when I picked up my new trailer back in February.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
I have complete control of my system, both locally and remote, however, the location function has not worked since they pushed the update last month.

I am still configured to use only the LAN port on the peplink. I have a 10 port switch so it's not that big of a deal.

That being said, I'm about ready to yank Airstream's control of the system and go my own way on the Czone system. There are too many changes I want to make to the system and they've screwed it up about half the time anyway.

I plan on:
  1. replacing the peplink with my own solution.
  2. Resetting the Touch 5 panel and programing with my own solution.
  3. Resetting the WiFi/Ethernet module to work with #2
  4. Altering the modes functionality with improvements.
  5. Replacing both the converter and Inverter with a Mastervolt Combimaster which talks to the CZone.
  6. Adding Starlink to the connection options.
  7. And a few more things...
  8. Adding my own remote solution that works over any Internet link.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
I have complete control of my system, both locally and remote, however, the location function has not worked since they pushed the update last month.
This is frustrating for me. I was part of the beta user group for the most newest version of the Airstream Smart app. Historically, the locate function was not updating correctly for me. In the last several days of using the new app, the location functionality finally started working correctly.

Right now, even though I cannot read/control anything remotely—expect for location. For me, the location function is the only thing that’s working correctly.

How can you and I have such opposite experiences with this piece of junk???!!!
Old 08-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
You have mischaracterized the situation. While I’m in my trailer, I can view/control everything through the CZone system. As ever, I can still read tank levels and tire pressures, control the blinds, see how much propane I have left, etc.

The problem, it appears, arose when Pepwave pushed out some update to the Airstream Connect router in my trailer. Summarily, I can no longer monitor/control the trailer on my phone from remote locations.

Yeah, I know…first world problems. But I did pay for the functionality and I have a reasonable expectation for the system to work like it did when I picked up my new trailer back in February.
Not entirely, but great if it works local.

If you moved the Czone to LAN2 (for whatever reason)...as those that added the external router workaround thinking both ports are the "same", it requires the Ethernet to operate...yes? If you swapped them under that assumption, you would have found that CZone would not have worked at all....local or remote...because they borked the LAN2 functionality in the latest firmware update....yes?..But I understand your point even though I don't have Czone in my trailer.

Still, a pepwave update shouldn't be crippling your system without proper testing......that will never be a mischaracterization.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
How can you and I have such opposite experiences with this piece of junk???!!!
The location function appears to be working this morning. I just checked it and it now reports me at home rather than at the last campground. Not sure when that changed.

So effectively, I have a fully operating system at this point.
Old 08-10-2021, 02:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
The location function appears to be working this morning. I just checked it and it now reports me at home rather than at the last campground. Not sure when that changed.

So effectively, I have a fully operating system at this point.
Glad yours is working correctly. Mine....not so much.

I called Airstream and talked with Cory. From his end, everything on my trailer is up-to-date and should be working correctly. He has escalated my case up to the IT department.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Mine is working locally but fails to update the data remotely. Also, I'm getting the "Oops" message remotely and eventually "Trailer unavailable."

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
After escalating my problems through Airstream customer service to their “IT guys”, I am happy to report that as of this morning, the Smart app functionality has been fully restored.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
After escalating my problems through Airstream customer service to their “IT guys”, I am happy to report that as of this morning, the Smart app functionality has been fully restored.

That's great.....but what did they do?? How does this help others? What is the final fix....
Old 08-11-2021, 11:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
That's great.....but what did they do?? How does this help others? What is the final fix....
Yesterday, after Customer Service had Cory call me back, he diagnosed me as having “something weird going on” and was unable to fix it with the tools available. He said I had all the updates, and wasn’t sure why my system was behaving the way it was. He escalated it to “The IT Guys”. Twenty Four hours later, everything is working.

I can only assume that the IT guys did something bespoke for my trailer to get my control back online.

As far as Airstream is concerned, all the Pepwave problems have been resolved. If anyone else is still having strange happenings with your Pepwave, then I would call Airstream Customer Service so the IT guys can work their magic for you. They won’t know you’re struggling unless you proactively reach out.