Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2022, 08:33 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
Poynting 2.4/5 GHz cables

We picked up our new 2022 Classic 30 last month and have spent time just poking around the trailer. We discovered two cables behind the router and they do not connect to anything. Neither of us are tech people and are at a loss as to what the cables are for. Perhaps they go to antennas that we can hook our Weboost to??Click image for larger version

Name:	20220604_083059.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	416920
wwesthof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:36 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
It’s fine, the little plastic antennas use their slots. The modem needs both antennas inside and outside the Airstream because signal cannot travel well through the frame / skin.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:37 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Itís fine, the little plastic antennas use their slots. The modem needs both antennas inside and outside the Airstream because signal cannot travel well through the frame / skin.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:30 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
The antenna cables I am referring to are not connected to the router, but just lying behind it. I assume they go up to antenna on the roof???
Old 06-26-2022, 08:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Yes but the modem needs antennas inside the trailer to so you can sit in bed and watch YouTube videos
Old 07-02-2022, 10:47 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 33' Classic
Chesapeake , Virginia
I recently discover those two wrapped up cables, too. They are for the WiFi antennas in the Poynting. I guess the small blade types are good enough for WiFi inside the AS. I found the two cables while troubleshooting our Pepwave.
BGClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

tampa , Florida
So, the cables and the poynting antennas should be connected to the Pepwave router rather than the two short ones on back of the router? Sorry, none of this makes any sense to me! Hope someone can help make me understand.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:04 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwesthof View Post
So, the cables and the poynting antennas should be connected to the Pepwave router rather than the two short ones on back of the router? Sorry, none of this makes any sense to me! Hope someone can help make me understand.
Hi

There is no need to hook any more of the cables up. The device should work fine.

If you want to go crazy, the cables are for:

1) GPS navigation
2) WiFI x2
3) Cellular x2 ( or x4 if you have a newer version)

If you *need* to run WiFi on two antennas outside your trailer *and* have a device that works properly with two antennas .... hook the both up.

If you have a GPS and it has no antenna ( or you have a router that has GPS in it for location) hook the GPS antenna up.

Cellular devices these days can have anything from one to eight antennas on them. Two was common a while back. Four is pretty typical these days. Eight is quite rare.

All of the multiple antenna stuff is simply to operate with a device that is designed for multiples. If your device is not designed that way, just leave the antennas disconnected.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
When we got our AS connected with the BR1-Mini installed, there are 5 cables that come from the Antenna, 2 are 2.4GHz MIMO, 2 Poynting, 1 is GPS. My router only has 4 SMA RF connectors, so for my router, it requires both Poyntings to be connected (Cellular diversity), 1 to 2.4GHz (Used to connect to "Wi-Fi" or other Wi-Fi source), and 1 to the GPS (Location use for trailer).

I have one 2.4Ghz cable that is unconnected.....why? Well, only 4 connections, so one remains unused.

It ultimately depends on the hardware installed in your trailer, so if all the RF connectors have a connection and nothing is "open"...then do not worry about any unconnected wires. Assuming you have no issue with your system, then it is hooked up properly.

The airstream app allows the router to switch between cellular and Wi-Fi depending on your location in the world. This allows you to pick and choose your internet connection type...if your in the middle of the desert and no cellular, but your campground supports Wi-Fi, then you can switch to Wi-Fi from cellular to get internet access....it could be slow as hell....but that is another topic.

So that is why you have 5 wires...the antenna supports multiple data stream types and they are attached to your router based on what is supported...and hopefully your techs were versed in proper setup.

Hope this helps.

Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote