Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2023, 01:45 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Saint Johns , Florida
Power shades replacement - exorbitant $$!

We have a problem with the curbside dinette power day shade in our 2021 Classic 33 that results in it no longer responding to commands (and I've yelled and yelled) to go up.or down.

It started just before our most recent service appt at Airstream of Tampa last week so they just said they will order a new day shade for us under our warranty (end Feb 2024).

I received a call from our Service Advisor that the shades only have a one year warranty and we would have to purchase a replacement ourselves. Here's the fun part:. Just the single blind is $1400!!!! It doesn't make sense at all. That means the 10 day and night shades we have in our Classic are worth $14K!?

Has anyone had any success on sourcing replacements for these?

Steve.
2021.Classic 33FBT
2021 Ram 2500 Limited Diesel 4x4
Easygoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Have you tried reaching out directly to the manufacturer? Domestic owns the company that makes the non motorized shades. I’m not certain who many the motorized stuff.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:09 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Saint Johns , Florida
Automotion says to contact the RV manufacturer. Airstream doesn't want to troubleshoot/repair the unit they just want to replace it. Frustrating. It definitely makes me wish I had paid more attention in electronic shop class in High School so I could tackle it myself on the off chance it is repairable.
Easygoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
YouTube available for trouble shooting? Or doe’s manufacturer had a service network?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by smmckean View Post
Ask a question about the 36 month warranty of the New Airstream, and that is what you want; this should be a warranty item. It is stated that the warranty is 36 mo. (not some 12 mo warranty from the manufacturer that Airstream chose) Airstream chose to warranty the part for 36 mo.
I am squarely in your corner on this one... They broadcast the best warranty in the industry ....3 years!! But they don't tell you on what...exactly....they say things like the camera is 2 years...this is 1....but that is 3. How is the customer supposed to know what is covered and what isn't....it shouldn't be a "Where's waldo" to get the info.

If the fan in the shower breaks, do I have to call the maker of the fan to get parts?

It is really stupid. If it's 3 years....it should be 3 years on everything.... not choice items they don't want to eat the costs to replace it from a poor engineering choice.

As mentioned, speak up, because a lot of times they will cover it......if you're loud enough.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
PORT SAINT LUCIE , FL
They are very clear on what is warranty. They gave you a sheet with everything installed with the serial number. Everything on that list and any item not made by Airstream is not covered. It's clear as day the shades are not covered. They are transparent on this.

https://support.airstream.com/hc/en-...rranty-Policy-
Renagade69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renagade69 View Post
They are very clear on what is warranty. They gave you a sheet with everything installed with the serial number. Everything on that list and any item not made by Airstream is not covered. It's clear as day the shades are not covered. They are transparent on this.

https://support.airstream.com/hc/en-...rranty-Policy-
Maybe they gave YOU that particular sheet....I've been through ALL of our paperwork...guess what I don't have...the exact document you describe. We were missing a bunch of manuals too...but that is another story.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:02 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2024 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
PORT SAINT LUCIE , FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Maybe they gave YOU that particular sheet....I've been through ALL of our paperwork...guess what I don't have...the exact document you describe. We were missing a bunch of manuals too...but that is another story.
That was not nice. Sorry about that.
Anyway from Airstreams Fax.
3. Any part or component of the travel trailer that was not manufactured or installed by Airstream;
Renagade69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
3. Any part or component of the travel trailer that was not manufactured or installed by Airstream;
Well isn't that just about every single item in the trailer? Airstream doesn't build or manufacturer anything if you really think hard about it.

They buy everything they make, they don't manufacturer any part of the trailer...the screws, aluminum, wood, every single part of the trailer is purchased... they don't have a melting pot to create any steel, metals, alloys...so if you get down to the literal definition, nothing should be warrantied...by that particular definition.

The "warranty" would be in assembly if you take it literally....like the locker falling down, or the sink caving in...etc.

But, I still go on record as saying, they WILL and DO replace stuff for free...regardless of what that written statement says...it has been proven time and time again...others may or many not chime in to validate that...but I've been to JC THREE times for warranty work because of how poorly my trailer was manufacturer as a custom order...I've had THOUSANDS of dollars of items fixed and replaced... on their dime for various reasons outside the scope of this thread...so don't take what you read as gospel...because it is simply not true. If I didn't experience it first hand, then I would have no place to argue... but I have been there, done that...so you can feel free to use that as a data point on how wrong the statement they put out is false.

YMMV.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:04 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
They did once upon a time....

...This is from a post I made after I did my own 'warrantee' work back in 2004, (no dealers in NYS at that time.)

AIRSTREAM DID SEND US THE NECESSARY ITEMS TO MAKE THE REPAIRS ON SOME ITEMS:
WATER PUMP, SHADE, LATCHES FOR CLOSET AND STORAGE DOORS. NEW
DOOR FOR BATHROOM ACCESS, SLIDE FOR PANTRY.
OTHER NECESSARY ITEMS PURCHASED FROM CAMPING WORLD.
I NEVER RECEIVED A CSI REPORT FROM THE FACTORY, OR ANY FOLLOW-UP AT ALL.
THE FACTORY QC WAS LACKING, BUT THE DEALER MUST ASSUME SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR A VERY POOR PDI. WELL I GUESS THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT, EXCEPT TO SAY I WAS MORE THAN A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED IN THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE!

Keep after them, call and write, don't let them boondoggle the concerns you have!!!!

Bob
🇺🇸

Bob
Old 01-27-2023, 08:52 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
But the power shades were "installed by Airstream". Now if it said manufactured and installed by Airstream, that would be different.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:22 AM   #12
2019 - 33' Classic

2019 33' Classic
Grand Junction , Colorado
I had a couple of our power shades get obstructed coming down. I believe a pillow and one of the dogs. After, the shades would only go up and down to those points. I went back to Ohio for other warranty work and they were able to adjust the shades to close properly again. I love the functionality, but they are very delicate. I would hate to have to replace them especially at the cost Easygoing is being told.
RickyNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I have had 5 different occasions to call AS Warranty in JC about items that had broke or stopped working on my 2-3 year old FC models that I had purchased "new". These included a shower door hinge (door ended up on the floor), the fresh water connection outside leaking due to my mistake (pulled out of spot without disconnecting), some of the rear tail light LED's not working, and electric water heater stopped working. In each case, warranty sent me new parts for free, no questions asked. I would call them and tell them your shade issue on your 2 year old Classic and see what they say. If they balk, tell them the dealer wants $1400; ask if this is a "common" issue also. Worth a call if it were me.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Power Shades

2018 Classic 33. Shades just one of reasons we ditched our rig. We had 2 go out and had to pay $1700 out of pocket. But that was minor compared to other persistent problems (eg. awning, Alde, skylights,etc.). Between 5/2018 & 10/2022, our rig spent 479 days on dealer lots and Jackson Center being repaired. We finally gave up and, stupidly, traded for a 2023 Flying Cloud w/o all the electronics. Stupidly because the day we picked up our new rig was when we noticed significant dents around both plexiglass stone guards caused by the factory. And, now we have to have front panels replaced at JC at our inconvenience and travel expenses to have it fixed. Stupid us for thinking that Airstream had finally gotten serious about Quality Control. Hope you have better luck with your 33.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
2018 Classic 33. Shades just one of reasons we ditched our rig. We had 2 go out and had to pay $1700 out of pocket. But that was minor compared to other persistent problems (eg. awning, Alde, skylights,etc.). Between 5/2018 & 10/2022, our rig spent 479 days on dealer lots and Jackson Center being repaired. We finally gave up and, stupidly, traded for a 2023 Flying Cloud w/o all the electronics. Stupidly because the day we picked up our new rig was when we noticed significant dents around both plexiglass stone guards caused by the factory. And, now we have to have front panels replaced at JC at our inconvenience and travel expenses to have it fixed. Stupid us for thinking that Airstream had finally gotten serious about Quality Control. Hope you have better luck with your 33.
That sounds pretty unfortunate; we have purchased 2 new models over the past 9 years with no problems. Curious, why did you take delivery of the 25' with those issues?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 01:43 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2024 33' Classic
NYC , New Jersey
Imagine if you bought a car and since manufacturers source products from all over, each time you came in for a repair the excuse was well that exhaust is from Dynomax and they have a 60 day warranty oh and that powered windows is from this tiny factory in China and comes with a 90 day warranty.
eugene32 is offline   Reply With Quote