Old 07-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Boone , IOWA
Pictures of Classic 30 without Front Sofa

We have a 2018 Classic 30 and thinking of replacing front sofa with two recliners. Does anyone have pictures they could share of the front of their coach with sofa removed and before the recliners are installed? Looking to understand whats under and behind the factory sofa. Also any tips for covering up/protecting the factory solar wiring, Alde equipment, etc.

Have seen several pictures of the final recliners installed, but not of whatís there after the factory sofa is removed.

Thanks

Dave

iowajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
My trailer is a 2002, so probably different from yours. Definitely is different if you have the Alde system. At some point Airstream put the batteries in the "toolbox" behind the propane tanks. Mine had internal battery boxes accessed through doors - the black boxes in the pictures.

But FWIW, here is my post on replacing the sofa with recliners.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f38...-a-195228.html

2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
I donít have pictures but remember seeing a thread about this. Alde fins are all exposed and there is the sub for the sound system under there. The OP fabricated alluminum or stainless steel covers similar to what you see around the alde fins that are not covered by furniture. It turned out really nice. Not sure what he did with the sub though

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Boone , IOWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
My trailer is a 2002, so probably different from yours. Definitely is different if you have the Alde system. At some point Airstream put the batteries in the "toolbox" behind the propane tanks. Mine had internal battery boxes accessed through doors - the black boxes in the pictures.

But FWIW, here is my post on replacing the sofa with recliners.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f38...-a-195228.html

Thanks for sharing: looks good.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:33 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Boone , IOWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
I donít have pictures but remember seeing a thread about this. Alde fins are all exposed and there is the sub for the sound system under there. The OP fabricated alluminum or stainless steel covers similar to what you see around the alde fins that are not covered by furniture. It turned out really nice. Not sure what he did with the sub though

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

No pics, but I've pulled it all out.

You have the Alde fins running down along the floor. They are out in the open once the sofa is gone.

You have the sub-woofer mounted under there

You have a fairly extensive DC interconnect right in the middle of the area. The wires from the battery mate up there.

====

Simple answers:

Plan on covering the Alde fins with the "normal" covering (like under the dinette). Since part of the area is curved, that may be fun.

Plan on some sort of table in the middle to allow the DC stuff to be in the base. There are maybe two dozen wires involved. You do *not* want to move all that.

Lots of fun !!!!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Blue Ridge , Georgia
30' Classic couch

30 classic with couch removed. ' I too am considering removing the couch in our 2020 Classic and replacing it with wall hugger recliners or a 72" couch/wall hugger recliner theatre system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30' Classic couch.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	372975  
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Seattle , Washington
2016 ClassicClick image for larger version

Name:	20190407_182012.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	372987
swimin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:46 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Boone , IOWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimin View Post
2016 ClassicAttachment 372987

Looks nice. Was your center console installed by Airstream?
Old 07-16-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
On the list of wants!
So following.
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:14 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Same here, also following.

Did contact AS JC just last week and asked them about retrofitting with dual recliners and a center table. AS replied stating, Yes, we do it to include the center cabinet and installing some "close outs" to conceal wiring and components, i.e. 12vDC panel, subwoofer, etc. but at a cost of around $8,000 (excluding the to be customer supplied recliners). Whoa!

I'm going to reply and ask them further details about the wiring management, 12v power management box and subwoofer our 2018 Classic has as well as if the install additional cover panels on the exposed sections of the Alde Hydronic system tubes to conceal them. Don't see this as being something I couldn't "DIY" but want to gain more knowledge before attempting it. Am particularly interested to learn more about the "close-outs" AS states they install so I've replied back to them asking for more detail. Will share the findings here.

GLeverett, thread #7 - did you end up removing the sofa and replacing with recliners and if so, can you share more photos of the outcome?, i.e. how did you address the revealed sections of the Alde Hydronic heat tubes, and the 12v. power management box?
Old 07-18-2020, 06:30 AM   #12
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
2015, so apples and oranges

we pulled the sofa and replaced with the Vista recliners and had Airstream build and install the console, and build an aluminum cover for the wiring. I didn't feel the cost of our work was out of line, but not as entailed as yours, as there was nothing to move under our 2015 sofa. We think Airstream should look at offering the recliners as opposed to the sofa, sure makes a big difference to us
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C16FBC9A-1EA8-4419-9B35-265BBB5E5C3A_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	373183  
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
we pulled the sofa and replaced with the Vista recliners and had Airstream build and install the console, and build an aluminum cover for the wiring. I didn't feel the cost of our work was out of line, but not as entailed as yours, as there was nothing to move under our 2015 sofa. We think Airstream should look at offering the recliners as opposed to the sofa, sure makes a big difference to us
Like those recliners! Nice small footprint. Maybe not too practical for a 25 ft. Eddie Bauer, but look comfy and sturdy. How do they feel and wear, and where did you find them?
Old 07-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Blue Ridge , Georgia
This was a photo someone had posted on the forum of their 30' classic that the owner had taken the cushions off to work on something. I did not do this but considering the recliners and console option. From what I understand JC covers the Alde around the sides and builds a center console to cover the 12V box and subwoofer. I got a quote of around $6000 from JC Service not including the recliners.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:48 AM   #15
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Villa recliners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Like those recliners! Nice small footprint. Maybe not too practical for a 25 ft. Eddie Bauer, but look comfy and sturdy. How do they feel and wear, and where did you find them?
These chairs were offered by Airstream, we saw them in an International 30 and liked them. Ours have been in use for most of the 5 years we have owned the trailer. They are not secured to the floor and never move under travel. They swivel and recline, and the foot rest raises, wished a little higher, but have no trouble at all falling asleep in one. The brand is Villa, same Mfg. of the sofa. We just started searching on line and found a dealer that had them in stock. Black was the only color he had, but they look good, are comfortable. We wanted the same seat height as the sofa, something a person should look at before they make a decision, most are lower. The leather is soft and durable, I think I've spilled about everything imaginable on them, and we (on a normal year) are using our trailer over 6 months a year. They are not wall huggers, so we adjust them when we want. We had a 25' Classic and feel they would have worked, although it would have required more prep work than our current trailer.

I had the name wrong on the original posting, calling them Vista instead of the correct name Villa although I had the first letter right.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:31 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
These chairs were offered by Airstream, we saw them in an International 30 and liked them. Ours have been in use for most of the 5 years we have owned the trailer. They are not secured to the floor and never move under travel. They swivel and recline, and the foot rest raises, wished a little higher, but have no trouble at all falling asleep in one. The brand is Villa, same Mfg. of the sofa. We just started searching on line and found a dealer that had them in stock. Black was the only color he had, but they look good, are comfortable. We wanted the same seat height as the sofa, something a person should look at before they make a decision, most are lower. The leather is soft and durable, I think I've spilled about everything imaginable on them, and we (on a normal year) are using our trailer over 6 months a year. They are not wall huggers, so we adjust them when we want. We had a 25' Classic and feel they would have worked, although it would have required more prep work than our current trailer.

I had the name wrong on the original posting, calling them Vista instead of the correct name Villa although I had the first letter right.
JSYK - You can purchase them and other types direct from Villa International Inc. and being an OEM supplier to Airstream, they can match the ultraleather colors by choice. http://www.villainternational.com/
Old 07-19-2020, 02:38 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gleverett View Post
This was a photo someone had posted on the forum of their 30' classic that the owner had taken the cushions off to work on something. I did not do this but considering the recliners and console option. From what I understand JC covers the Alde around the sides and builds a center console to cover the 12V box and subwoofer. I got a quote of around $6000 from JC Service not including the recliners.
The quote I received from Chris with Airstream CS just this past week was $8k so I assume that includes installing the cosmetic shields over the exposed section of Alde Hydronic heat where it surrounds the front behind and upon the sides of the existing sofa in addition to building/installing the center table/drawers while we supply the recliners.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:24 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Below are details of the $8k quote we received from AS JC. At this point I don't see us having it done as the end cost will likely be upwards of $10k once we supply the recliners. AS also informed us that they have yet to do this mod in a Classic with ALDE.

Name:	AS Recliner Installation Detail.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	374553
Old 08-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #19
Njg
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Quote:
30 classic with couch removed. ' I too am considering removing the couch in our 2020 Classic and replacing it with wall hugger recliners or a 72" couch/wall hugger recliner theatre system.

Totally unrelated to the discussion, but in the space forward of the grey 12v box, would a victron Multiplus measuring 14.5 x 10.25 x 9 inches fit? Based on your experience with having the unit apart? I donít have my trailer yet so canít measure myself...
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:42 PM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njg View Post
Totally unrelated to the discussion, but in the space forward of the grey 12v box, would a victron Multiplus measuring 14.5 x 10.25 x 9 inches fit? Based on your experience with having the unit apart? I donít have my trailer yet so canít measure myself...
Hi

There are multiple gizmos bolted to to floor in that area (and big bundles of cables ....) . Exactly how much space is here or there will vary with model / year / phase of the moon ( it's hand installed ....). The only way to know how much room you have on a specific trailer is to look and see.

Can you find room under the sofa for a lot of stuff? Sure, it just may not be right there in the middle.

That said, a Multiplus is quite large. Fitting it anywhere up there is unlikely ...

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote