Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2021, 03:51 PM   #1

2017 30' Classic
Tupelo , Mississippi
No power to Dometic AC

Setting up camp this evening and found no power to the Dometic system to run the AC units on 2017 Classic. I have checked and reset all of the breakers that are located under the closet but do not have power to the AC units. Connected to shore power 50 amps and have checked the plug in and reset the feed breaker on the campground post. The indicating (red) light on the shore power cable plug at the trailer is lit. Any ideas on what else to check or is there a breaker or fuse to the Dometic system in a different location.
Campin Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 04:17 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Do you have an EMS? If so is it pitching any errors?

If *both* A/C units do not run, do any other 120V devices work? ( does the clock on the microwave run ...).

First step is to use your multimeter to check the main feed on the breaker panel. You should have 240V between the two hot lines. Each one should read 120V to ground / neutral. Next check would be on the main bus on the other side of the 50A breakers. Same 120V to ground on each of them. Then you move to the output of the A/C breakers.

If all that checks out, you move on to the A/C units themselves.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Also check voltage and fuses on 12 volt side, on most newer trailers it is needed for controls.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #4

2017 30' Classic
Tupelo , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Do you have an EMS? If so is it pitching any errors?

If *both* A/C units do not run, do any other 120V devices work? ( does the clock on the microwave run ...).

First step is to use your multimeter to check the main feed on the breaker panel. You should have 240V between the two hot lines. Each one should read 120V to ground / neutral. Next check would be on the main bus on the other side of the 50A breakers. Same 120V to ground on each of them. Then you move to the output of the A/C breakers.

If all that checks out, you move on to the A/C units themselves.

Bob
Thank you for the information. I cannot check the power as you suggested. Everything else in the trailer is working fine. The Dometic Comfort Control Center is the problem. It will not wake up to try to turn on the AC. I cannot find a breaker or fuse to the Control Center.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
SAN ANTONIO , TX
I had a similar issues in July on day one of our trip to Florida. After determining we had power everywhere, we started troubleshooting what we could and only option was to buy a new controller and unfortunately that didn't fix it. After our trip we were able to get it into the dealership and they determined the data cables were corroded at the data cables ends and 4 a/c inline couplers had corrosion inside them and had to be replaced. I pretty sure all of this is was done on the roof under they A/C covers. I'll be the first to admit that was way beyond my ability to diagnose or fix so glad the dealer did the work but it did cost me almost $500 with parts and labor. Not sure this helped but I guess it's something else to look for. Good luck!
LJS1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS1211 View Post
I had a similar issues in July on day one of our trip to Florida. After determining we had power everywhere, we started troubleshooting what we could and only option was to buy a new controller and unfortunately that didn't fix it. After our trip we were able to get it into the dealership and they determined the data cables were corroded at the data cables ends and 4 a/c inline couplers had corrosion inside them and had to be replaced. I pretty sure all of this is was done on the roof under they A/C covers. I'll be the first to admit that was way beyond my ability to diagnose or fix so glad the dealer did the work but it did cost me almost $500 with parts and labor. Not sure this helped but I guess it's something else to look for. Good luck!
That reminds me that a few people had problems when inline coupler fell into the drip tray under the AC. At least a couple of them were able to just dry out and cleanup the connections and zip tie them in place like they should have been from the factory and got it working.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #7

2017 30' Classic
Tupelo , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS1211 View Post
Thank you for this information, it is very helpful. I started looking at the Dometic Controller and will probably replace it and check the wiring on both of the AC units.
Old 09-20-2021, 04:42 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Man View Post
Thank you for the information. I cannot check the power as you suggested. Everything else in the trailer is working fine. The Dometic Comfort Control Center is the problem. It will not wake up to try to turn on the AC. I cannot find a breaker or fuse to the Control Center.
Hi

Probably best to head over and let a pro deal with the problem.

Bob
Old 09-21-2021, 07:39 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
SAN ANTONIO , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Man View Post
Thank you for this information, it is very helpful. I started looking at the Dometic Controller and will probably replace it and check the wiring on both of the AC units.
If you replace the controller, try and buy it from a Camping World if you can because they will let you return it if that’s not the fix. Airstream dealers will not let you become it’s considered an electrical item. Good luck!
LJS1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 08:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
That reminds me that a few people had problems when inline coupler fell into the drip tray under the AC. At least a couple of them were able to just dry out and cleanup the connections and zip tie them in place like they should have been from the factory and got it working.
That wretched connection inside the A/C unit has been a problem for ages! I have a 2012 25' FB and first experienced it in 2017. I am over 70 and retired, female, short and not a mechanical genius, and yet I fixed it myself. Just a matter of removing the inside cover of the A/C, finding the phone jack connection, taking it apart and drying it out, then tying it up so that it won't fall back into the drip cup. I have ranted to Kackson center and every service department I can contact with very limited success.

Airstream probably wastes $1,000,000 per year on warranty work for something that can be avoided completely with one zip tie per A/C unit.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:51 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

Airstream probably wastes $1,000,000 per year on warranty work for something that can be avoided completely with one zip tie per A/C unit.
Hi

A half pound bag of zip ties could solve a *lot* of issues in the typical AS trailer.

Bob