Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #101
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Niantic , Connecticut
...and more pics

It appeared lots of people liked the Comfort White, my wife and I were not in that camp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC3D8F95-A565-4797-ADF5-ABF3E28E1599.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	359716  
Attached Images

Chris0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:17 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
The more I see of the white interior, the more I dislike it, if that is even possible. Don't like the diamond quilting on the soft goods at all. Don't like the bathroom door, either. Those elements don't seem to go together to me.

Some will probably like it, tho. I guess that is why they offer choices.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #103
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Lol. You got there before my wife and I made the bed. We couldn’t stand that it was up with the bedding falling off. We put the mattress flat and staged it properly [emoji12]

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:39 AM   #104
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
The more I see of the white interior, the more I dislike it, if that is even possible. Don't like the diamond quilting on the soft goods at all. Don't like the bathroom door, either. Those elements don't seem to go together to me.

Some will probably like it, tho. I guess that is why they offer choices.
We're in your camp 66Overlander but this interior is the proverbial "variety is the spice of life" and "different strokes for different folks." Those who like it will buy it and enjoy it. We're not particularly enthralled with the raised panel, honey color, oak interior on our 1992 Classic but it's paid for and the floor plan works for us.

We saw the new comfort white interior at the Florida RV SuperShow. I can imagine there are many people who will like it. A few things seem incongruent to me. Some of the cabinet hardware it brass and some is brushed nickel. I was informed that "mixed metals" is all the rage! Guess I'm not up on home décor trends.

A second and more glaring incongruency was the number of panels - cabinets and closets had one or two panels and that was fine, then the bathroom door had ten panels. Yikes! What happened there?! A simple two panel door would have looked very good. Justin Humphries, Airstream CEO, told us they were looking for more "depth" with the bathroom door. Hmmmm?

The diamond stitching/tufting looks "cheap" in my opinion. I typically associate that with RVs that are attempting to look high end. Smooth Ultraleather would look much better in my opinion.

Maybe some kinks will get worked out as production ramps up.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:35 AM   #105
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I get that some airstream owners find the new interior unappealing.

I also understand that a Key reason airstream went with this interior design was to appeal to a younger demographic.

I totally understand that older air streamers would go for what I call a “granny “interior.

Are there any forum members here under 40 that dislike this interior?

And by the way, airstream is still offering this same trailer with the granny interior as an option. It would be curious to discover which one is the better seller, don’t you think?
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post

I also understand that a Key reason airstream went with this interior design was to appeal to a younger demographic.

I totally understand that older air streamers would go for what I call a “granny “interior.

And by the way, airstream is still offering this same trailer with the granny interior as an option. It would be curious to discover which one is the better seller, don’t you think?
I'm not sure you can own an AS if your under 40? I like choice myself, and seems last 2 times I have purchased new, the next year they come out with something I like better...hope to stay with my 28' for awhile, once I get the new foam inside the covers...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:

It is very negative to other AirForums members to refer to the current Classic with wood as opposed to white interior as a "granny" look. This look would not appeal to my grandmother - too much exposed aluminum and the white window boxes with accordion shades as opposed to curtains. If there ever was such thing as a "granny" interior, it might be the earlier Classic with the padded ceiling, fuzzy walls, and curtains, but I even hesitate to call it that for fear of offending anyone. Let's retire the "granny" comment forever and be respectful of each other. (And then I won't have to refer to the white version as the IKEA look to get even.) ;-)
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 01-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
About that "Granny" remark...

No offense at all intended. My granny was a great woman.

The term harkens directly back to Christopher C Deem who almost 20 years ago was challenged with redoing the interior of the Airstream.

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_cars..._and_discovery

In his initial design analysis of the Airstream trailer, he immediately recognized a stark and obvious crisis in the design itself; a fundamental disconnect between the sleek, aerodynamic exterior that spoke in terms of motion and modernity, and the mountain-cabin interior that "looked like your grandma's house."

Deem told AS execs that their trailers would not appeal to the surfers, rock climbers, skateboarders etc. as long as they continued with what was then their current interiors. Airstream commissioned him to redo the interior, with the caveat that he had to work within JC's existing parameters: no new tooling, no new production methods, no budget for volume, stamped material or parts. Whatever he designed had to be built the same way they currently built them.

Deem brought modern design (back) to the Airstream interior with the successful launch of the CCD International Signature series for over a decade. That same design sensibility lives on today in the Globetrotter and Serenity series, and informs this interior redesign of the classic.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
No offense at all intended. My granny was a great woman.

The term harkens directly back to Christopher C Deem who almost 20 years ago was challenged with redoing the interior of the Airstream.

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_cars..._and_discovery

In his initial design analysis of the Airstream trailer, he recognized a crisis in the design itself; a fundamental disconnect between the sleek, aerodynamic exterior that spoke in terms of motion and modernity, and the mountain-cabin interior that "looked liked your grandma's house."

Deem told AS execs that their trailers would not appeal to the surfers, rock climbers, skateboarders etc. as long as they continued with what was then their current interiors. Airstream commissioned him to redo the interior, with the caveat that he had to work within JC's existing parameters: no new tooling, no new production methods, no budget for volume, stamped material or parts. Whatever he designed had to be built the same way they currently built them.

Deem brought modern design (back) to the Airstream interior with the successful launch of the CCD International Signature series for over a decade. That same design sensibility lives on today in the Globetrotter and Serenity series, and informs this interior redesign of the classic.
Quoting a 20 year old statement is not justification to offend other AirForums members by continuing to use a derogatory term.

The Airstream's interiors of 20+ years ago are not the same as the 2015+ Classic. No doubt the exposed aluminum interior look that Christopher Deem first introduced in the 2003 CCD took quite a while to percolate throughout the various Airstreams models and took way too long to get to the Classic, the last to get this treatment in 2015.

Also note that some of the CCD/International and the new Globetrotter models used or use a "wood grained" laminate that is not all that much different in appearance from real wood. Not everything needs to be painted a monotone color to be "modern".
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

Old 01-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #110
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
We have a 2007 International CCD and 9 grandkids...love the design. And BTW, when our son bought it, he was under 40.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #111
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
1970 27' Overlander
SoCal , USA
Every generation of retirees have different interior norms they are used to. It could be that Airstream is catching up to current 60-somethings. I don’t think that it makes sense that crowds of younger folks are going to be buying them. The classics will mostly remain a model attractive to those looking at more freedom after long careers.
perri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
I’d like to think I am cutting edge if I can say so myself. Being 35 now and paid off my first classic when I was 33 (been on the road 2 years now), I’m probably exactly who airstream is after.

I personally like the all white. I would however add a couple more grey accents. I think this first iteration of the design is really on the right track. We walked through a couple of the million dollar coaches at the Tampa RV show and this design is getting there.

Sorry to see some people are offended by this design and how people choose to describe the previous generations design. I love that all the options are still available, you can’t knock airstream for providing another option! Look at car manufacturers. Burnt orange isn’t for everyone but it’s offered in addition to the standard white, black, red, or blue paint job that people prefer.

Live and let live. Happy to be a part of this airstream family regardless if I bring down the average age by a century or two [emoji12]

Follow our adventures!
Old 01-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #113
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
I’d like to think I am cutting edge if I can say so myself. Being 35 now and paid off my first classic when I was 33 (been on the road 2 years now), I’m probably exactly who airstream is after.

I personally like the all white. I would however add a couple more grey accents. I think this first iteration of the design is really on the right track. We walked through a couple of the million dollar coaches at the Tampa RV show and this design is getting there.

Sorry to see some people are offended by this design and how people choose to describe the previous generations design. I love that all the options are still available, you can’t knock airstream for providing another option! Look at car manufacturers. Burnt orange isn’t for everyone but it’s offered in addition to the standard white, black, red, or blue paint job that people prefer.

Live and let live. Happy to be a part of this airstream family regardless if I bring down the average age by a century or two [emoji12]
Agree with most everything you said, cept the part about "burnt orange"...here in Austin, most everyone likes that color...especially during football season!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
One of the reasons for starting this thread was to bring attention to Airstream's first attempt to bring a "lighter" and more modern design to the "Classic" brand. This design is a third offering that customers can choose for their trailer. My concern was that it seemed very restrained. It seemed like Airstream was dipping its toe in the waters as inexpensively as possible and bringing out a choice that almost feels noncommital, safe, and subsequently very bland.

As one of the premier trailer manufacturer in the world, wouldn't it have made some sense to bring out a premier or even somewhat of a groundbreaking offering that would make a splash at the show and in the industry? Why the overly conservative approach? What is Airstream fearing? That it wouldn't sell?

Let's say that Airstream unveils a modern beyond "globetrotter" design for the Classic. It has a beautiful new floor design with modern, smooth, sleek surfaces and color choices. Fabrics go beyond what they've ever offered before. The electronics perfectly dialed in, and speaker placement finally makes sense. Due to the "all-out" design, the cost is $20,000 more than the existing Classic trailer. The industry and the press hails Airstream for this bold move and later qualifies as the new trailer of the year. The dealers are excited as orders come in, and the trailer has so much appeal that discounts are not necessary. Airstream reaps the rewards for producing a bold new design.

Most RV manufacturers have at least one design that they consider their flagship. The Classic is Airstream's top of the line trailer. I only have one more question. Is this new "white" cabinet interior their flagship model?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:51 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Agree with most everything you said, cept the part about "burnt orange"...here in Austin, most everyone likes that color...especially during football season!

Lol. Burnt orange can be substituted with any color such as puke green or bright magenta. Point is, although it ain’t for everyone there is always someone that likes it. I personally believe there is a time and place for all of these colors.
Love Austin by the way. We blasted through there one summer and discovered the bats 🦇
Who’d a thunk... never seen millions of bats swarming before.

Follow our adventures!
Old 01-24-2020, 12:57 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Been there, done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
wouldn't it have made some sense to bring out a premier or even somewhat of a groundbreaking offering that would make a splash at the show and in the industry? Why the overly conservative approach?
I believe if you research a product Airstream offered in 2015 which they christened the "Land Yacht" many of your questions will be answered. To wit:

Quote:
What is Airstream fearing? That it wouldn't sell?
Yes, exactly.

Quote:
Let's say that Airstream unveils a modern beyond "globetrotter" design for the Classic. It has a beautiful new floor design with modern, smooth, sleek surfaces and color choices. Fabrics go beyond what they've ever offered before. The electronics perfectly dialed in, and speaker placement finally makes sense. Due to the "all-out" design, the cost is $20,000 more than the existing Classic trailer.
Ahh, perhaps they collaborate with an ultra high-end Italian cabinetmaker and yacht-designer to do an interior that would wow the 1%:

$20,000 more? Try about $60,000 more above what was then the top tier price. This was the first AS trailer to hit six figures, with an MSRP at about $150,000 in 2015 dollars.

Quote:
The industry and the press hails Airstream for this bold move and later qualifies as the new trailer of the year
You mean like this?

https://www.wired.com/2013/04/airstream-land-yacht-2/

http://rvlife.com/airstream-land-yacht-one-trailer-see/

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130...riveting-debut

and a little YouTube with Jay Leno and Bob Wheeler:

BTW, the last Airstream to win RV of the year was the tragically problem-plagued BaseCamp. So there'e that.

Quote:
Most RV manufacturers have at least one design that they consider their flagship. The Classic is Airstream's top of the line trailer. I only have one more question. Is this new "white" cabinet interior their flagship model?
The Classic is currently the most expensive line of new Airstream trailers. The white cabinet interior is but one of several different options, including a darker wood-grained theme.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I almost forgot about that model! The amazing thing is, years ago that is what got me interested in the Airstream trailers. I saw one at a show quite by accident. Innovative, lots of storage and one of my favorites! Guess you coukd say it worked!

My point is that the white cabinet offering is a bit bland to me. Airstream could have done much better. I guess we will see how it does this coming season, tufted grey simulated leather and all.

Tom & Doty
Old 01-24-2020, 07:48 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Ah yes, my wife and I saw the land yacht model when we were looking. Just couldn’t bring ourselves to spend $50k more for what the dealer was willing to sell us a classic for. Land Yacht was such a rare item that they wouldn’t discount MSRP. I’m sure they sold it to some celebrity in Hollywood. Meanwhile, we are completely happy with our 18 classic

Follow our adventures!
Old 01-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Jay Leno has one!

Tom & Doty
Old 01-24-2020, 08:30 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
I can’t help but wonder if they had the same QC problems with the land yacht as they did with all the other new trailers.

Airstream already has his hands full today with customers who spend $70,000 and are disappointed to the point of being angry about the fit and finish and the things breaking.

Imagine being the schmuck who dropped 150 K only to have the exact same problems! Or imagine how much airstream had to spend to fix those problems under warranty, and what an exponentially larger PR problem and hit to their brand reputation such a rich and influential customer would represent.