Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If a 33' Classic is what they want to do, they should have done it like the old 34'-
More room in the living room and kitchen and more wardrobe space but otherwise similar to the 30' layout/floor plan.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
More detail:

Just curious, anyone with a 2015+ Classic considering switching to one?
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:15 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
More creature comforts and a super nice bathroom but you give up the open feel of the 30 due to the front bedroom/rear bathroom layout. You're only view is through two doors if you're in the galley or at the dinette. Seems a bit dark in the middle of the trailer. With my Classic twin I have 3 large, easily accessible cargo holds that I would really miss on the 33. Believe I'll just stick with my 30!

Breathe in, breathe out, move on!
Old 12-22-2016, 04:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Why didn't they take the 34' route?
Same basic floor plan but with more wardrobe space, more counter space, and a bigger living room.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
More detail:

Not us for the multitude of reasons you and others have already discussed. We'll stick with our "non-Alde" 2016 Classic.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:04 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
I like it. Looks like the high end motorhomes on the inside. I see this selling well to people who have had those nice big motohomes but now wanting to move to a trailer. I'm sure it will be pricey but very well done Airstream!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I watched the video and observed that the outside storage appears to be less than the 2017 30' we have. Plus the large front storage is difficult to get to. The large storage area for the 30' is in the rear, easy to get to and actually has a bin within it that is covered by hard, very hard and strong, plastic covers upon which more items can be stored. Then on each side in the rear are two large side compartments. Storage is one of the reason we went with the 30'.

I do like the pocket doors and the entry door that is hinged facing the front of the trailer instead of the AS traditional rear.

as cabinetmaker said I will be it's a bit pricey.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:12 PM   #28
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
More detail:

I'm not gonna switch, The 2015 Classic I have now is just fine with me. "It's Just Right"

J Nelson
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Same here with my '13 Classic.
Sticking with what I know.
It's cheaper to keep her.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Smile Just what we've been waiting for

We are looking to snowbird and this new 33' looks great for us. I had to stoop to use the shower in the 30, and I'm really excited to see the digital projector and work space.

We're heading to Lazydays in Tucson in a couple of weeks and hope they have one to show. If not, perhaps the Phoenix RV show (fingers crossed)

And as one posted queried, why not a 34???

Michael
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:57 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Seems like the shower would be the same height.
The projection screen seems a bit old school. Why not a 55-60" flat panel TV?
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Not sure what projector they are using, but you can get 4K ultra high definition projectors. The main reason for going with a projector over a TV is to get really large display areas, say over 100 inches, which isn't the case here. They are probably going with the projector because the raising and lowering of the projector screen is much simpler than the mechanism required for raising and lowering a TV.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I see flat panel TV's that retract down into a cabinet in residences and other makes of RV's all the time.
You might as well put a white bed sheet on the side of the trailer. I see that quite often, too.
Not my cup of tea...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #34
Capnttom

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Cypress , Texas
The show stopper for us is that the bathroom is on the opposite end of the AS. If we have overnight guests one has to wake everybody up to do one's business. No bueno.

Tom & Cathy
Looking for a new AS
2014 Roadtrek RS Adventurous
2015 Ram EcoDiesel
capnttom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:36 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Mid bath rules!

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-27-2016, 04:39 PM   #36
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I'll have to see this first hand as it's difficult to get the proportions from a video. I wouldn't mind a few more feet added to my Classic, but I don't think I'd opt for putting it in the bathroom. What strikes me right away is the loss of windows. One of the real pluses of the 15-17's is how really open the trailer feels because of the optimization of windows. I don't much want to walk through the entry door and look at the fridge door straight ahead or at the bedroom if I look to the right. I see major issues with a projection TV. (I have a home theatre in my house with a 155" screen and a 4K projector.) Even though the projector throws a very bright image, it is FOR SURE best if the room is completely dark. A roll down screen is NOT optimum. The high quality screens are super expensive and very delicate. Having the screen right behind the workspace means you must always have the screen rolled up or you'll scratch it. One scratch or crease on a screen means "replacement." The tiny little storage spaces CS and SS are too small (they look to be the same size as the CS space on my '15 - I've never used it as it's too small). For sure, I would not want to change the HUGE rear storage space on my trailer and dodge the propane tanks to store the water hose and 50amp anaconda cord. The LAST thing I want on my Airstream is a file drawer, but maybe this trailer is designed for folks who are going to FT and run their business while they're on the road! I'm sure they've done some market research and will find buyers for this design. And, of course, bigger trailer means bigger $!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:53 AM   #37
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I'll have to see this first hand as it's difficult to get the proportions from a video. I wouldn't mind a few more feet added to my Classic, but I don't think I'd opt for putting it in the bathroom. What strikes me right away is the loss of windows. One of the real pluses of the 15-17's is how really open the trailer feels because of the optimization of windows. I don't much want to walk through the entry door and look at the fridge door straight ahead or at the bedroom if I look to the right. I see major issues with a projection TV. (I have a home theatre in my house with a 155" screen and a 4K projector.) Even though the projector throws a very bright image, it is FOR SURE best if the room is completely dark. A roll down screen is NOT optimum. The high quality screens are super expensive and very delicate. Having the screen right behind the workspace means you must always have the screen rolled up or you'll scratch it. One scratch or crease on a screen means "replacement." The tiny little storage spaces CS and SS are too small (they look to be the same size as the CS space on my '15 - I've never used it as it's too small). For sure, I would not want to change the HUGE rear storage space on my trailer and dodge the propane tanks to store the water hose and 50amp anaconda cord. The LAST thing I want on my Airstream is a file drawer, but maybe this trailer is designed for folks who are going to FT and run their business while they're on the road! I'm sure they've done some market research and will find buyers for this design. And, of course, bigger trailer means bigger $!

Great points, Oh and thanks for all your help with the skylights this summer. They are super!!

J Nelson
🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have said it before...
I think the longer trailer should be basically the same layout/floor plan as the 30, but with more wardrobe space, more counter space, and room for a club chair in the living room- basically the 34...
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Hello Streamers-

Justin here from Airstream. Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback on this new floor plan. I thought I would provide a bit more insight into this new layout. I don't post often, but I, as well as many others who work at Airstream, follow the forum often and enjoy getting feedback- both good and bad!

As you can imagine, much of the feedback we get from Classic owners is that they use for longer term usage. As such, a lot of the feedback we get from full timers or long timers if you will, is the desire for a larger bath. This floor plan was all about the bathroom. And the best way to get a larger bath, is to place it in the front or rear of the trailer. It allows for much more room. In particular, we wanted a larger shower to accommodate as best we can those of us who are taller and wider (I fit this description!). For those of you who like panoramic windows at each side of the trailer, this layout is not for you and why we have the 30 as another option. However, one of our best selling layouts is the 23FB which too has a rear bath for those wanting a larger option. So we know from experience many customers will compromise the "openness" with larger bathrooms.

We knew once we locked in the bathroom in the rear the bedroom would have to go in the front. So with the middle living area, how could we get creative to keep it as open as possible? We landed on a projector screen. If you aren't watching TV, you don't want to look at it, so hit the power button, and it disappears. When you do want to watch TV, you now have more viewing area, over 60 inches of HDTV. And yes, we did consider a TV hidden in the cabinet that would extend up to reveal itself, however, the Alde system on the side of the trailer combined with the wheel wells kept that from happening.

Another point of feedback we get is a lack of workspace. Many customers comment that their dinette area becomes the work area with laptops, books, etc., but on this new layout, the projector rolls up out of the way, we decided to use that space as a workspace as well. Our research shows full timers or long timers have this need a little more than weekenders. So they have a power station, seat, file drawer and special lighting to help double this entertainment area as a workspace.

Someone made the comment they did not think our blinds are powered. They are in the living room. In fact, their is a "Cinema" button. You hit the button and the blinds come down, the lights turn off, and you are ready to get cozy and watch a movie or TV.

We did not want to make this a tri-axle. I know some of you may be disappointed in that. However, over 50% of Classic owners are first time RV'ers, and our research shows they are intimidated by three axles. So we went as big as we could with two axles. It also reduces weight of the trailer too which is helpful. And yes, we paid special attention to "beefing" up the chassis to accommodate the rear bath.

There are many options we included on this trailer that I won't get into. We understand the layout will not be for everyone. However, we have see a lot of customers who would love to get into an Airstream, but the bathroom size is a deal breaker. We hope this will provide those folks with a layout that can work for them now. We also think many customers who may want something larger may be interested in the 33 as well.

Our first test is the dealers, and it was overwhelmingly positive feedback, they ordered more than we had anticipated. But the real test is with consumers. The first show where this will be displayed will be the Tampa Supershow in January. I will be at the show, so if you are nearby, come see and I will give you a tour of it. I'd love to get your feedback firsthand!

Lastly, I want to wish everyone a safe and Happy Holiday Season and the best that a New Year could offer us all. Hopefully that includes more time for us all to use our Airstreams! Travel safe and thank you so much for your business, it means the world to 739 hard working families in Jackson Center, OH!

Thank you-

Justin Humphreys
VP Sales- Airstream, Inc.

jhumphreys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Thanks for the feedback Justin. I can see why you did what you did but I think I'll be sticking with the 30-foot Classic. Maybe if you guys came out with a 33-foot with the same layout as the 30 but with a larger living area I would consider swapping.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote