Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #941
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertson2 View Post
I just looked this morning...we have version 3.2. Guess we need and update?

I find it disappointing that an Airstream dealership would sell this to us knowing there was a more current version. Oh well...live and learn.

It may be covered? Check with the dealer and if they don’t cover the upgrade then check with JC. They will have history on your vin and if it’s never been updated you may be able to make an argument to have it updated under warranty.

Just a thought? Let us know the outcome!

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #942
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
I did call JC and they offered an update for 30 minutes of labor under warranty, which is very fair considering the warranty from the previous owner ran out 9/2019.

However, our closest dealer is Colonial in NJ, 4 hours away, plus tolls and currently not accepting appointments until their new facilities open in mid February. Additionally after talking with their service department this is a drop off and pick up another time because they replace the controller. They won’t order the replacement Firefly until we bring it in...so not the simplest of fixes.

I have a call into Firefly to see if I can purchase a new updated controller and install ourselves. Luckily hubby is an electronic trouble shooter and works with this stuff all the time. If the Firefly is a plug and play we would rather do it ourselves then hassle with the dealer and warranty. We bought a used, out of warranty AS...this is where the savings stop and the fun begins. All part of the luxury of camping.

I’ll let you know how it goes but it seems the Firefly replacement could cure more then one bug in the Alde system.
Robertson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 04:30 PM   #943
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
That's crazy that they have to install a whole new system instead of just a software update. Luckilyy I saw this thread before my warranty runs out in a couple months so I'm taking it to a good dealer 4 hours away to try to get it fixed along with some other things.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #944
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

Much ado about ALDE takes a new turn

Today I received a letter from Airstream offering me a free, yes free fluid change out for my ALDE system. And while it isn't clear the letter suggests the new fluid will have a longer service life.

My dealer is not quite ready for this work so I'm on their list to do when they can. Fortunately my coach is parked for the winter.
Based on the information the dealer has at this point Airstream has not given them the whole story.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #945
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Anywhere , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbburke View Post
Today I received a letter from Airstream offering me a free, yes free fluid change out for my ALDE system. And while it isn't clear the letter suggests the new fluid will have a longer service life.

My dealer is not quite ready for this work so I'm on their list to do when they can. Fortunately my coach is parked for the winter.
Based on the information the dealer has at this point Airstream has not given them the whole story.
From Alde, the original Alde in 2017 fluid does not have good corrosion inhibitors and in lots of cases is coming out of solution. Seeing aluminum corrosion. They changed fluid mfg in 2018 and again in 2019.
2016 Ford F-350 Dually
lukeysh714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #946
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
So what color is the new good fluid?
Old 01-28-2020, 06:50 PM   #947
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Crestivew , Florida
There are 10 or 11 valves to bleed air out of the system as well. Most are hidden but the one on towel rack is most noticeable. With pump off bleed out air till glycol comes out and retighten. Ensure pump is off when doing this else you will suck air in.
zims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:17 AM   #948
rasyl

2018 30' Classic
CALGARY , Alberta
I am having difficulty buying the comment that bleeding with the pump on causes entrainment of air. Bleeding with the pump off is much more likely to add air. Flow can only go in one direction at a time, so air cannot be going into the system at the same time that air/liquid is coming out of the same vent. With the system pressurized the liquid quickly forces the air out from the high point vents and if not careful you get Alde fluid everywhere. I understand the venturi principle, but I do not agree that it applies in this case. I always vent with the pump on and find it effective. Venting with pump off will just relieve the small pressure remaining on the system then stop venting air and will more likely cause air to come into the system.
rdsyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #949
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho

One of the last things I did to the Alde 3010 in my Oct '17 build 2018 30' Classic was to bleed the system.
On this occasion the owner manual and online parts manuals were accurate. There are 9 bleed points in the coach. Most are readily apparent but two, one behind the fire extinguisher and the second behind the shower.

The process is to run the circulating pump at full speed on continuous. Shut off the pump and open a bleed point. Bleed it until just fluid, close the valve and turn the pump back on. Repeat.
It made a different in the system performance.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:54 AM   #950
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Newbie here, 1st Airstream in the form of a pre-owned, 2018 Classic M30 we purchased this week. Prior to the purchase (from a third party), we had an Airstream dealer do a PPI for us of which gave us confidence of no apparent issues other than to inform us that the unit has an open Airstream Service Bulletin #180 on the ALDE system.

Thus, we made an appointment with them only to arrive their yesterday and be informed they have not as of yet received their bulk replacement fluid order. According to the AS dealer, the subject was only recently issued and as a result their is a short supply of the pump kits and fluid of which they are waiting on.

The SB involves complete draining of the Alde system, flushing and refilling with a newer ALDE fluid and even though it refers to the 33', our AS Dealer stated it applies to our 30' Classic.

Anyone else received this SB and had it addressed yet, if so, any comments to share?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sb180 (1).pdf (1.61 MB, 73 views)
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #951
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Yes. There is another thread about this going.
You need to wait for a letter, then schedule appointment with your dealer. Dealer orders kit that gets assigned to your vin, so make sure you’re ordering at the dealer you will get the work done at and not somewhere random and then relocate (if you’re full time like me).

Eventually everything will get serviced. It’s just a waiting game.

I haven’t received a letter but I have a standing appointment at JC on April 6th. They were more than happy to add this to the work order and knock it out while we are there.

Follow our adventures!
Old 02-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #952
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Good luck. Our dealer had to put more than one new board in and stumble through getting the Fire Fly talking to the Alde system with multiple phone calls to Airstream and Alde. They had the unit for weeks.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #953
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by primepower View Post
So what color is the new good fluid?
Anyone know the color of the new fluid?
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:56 PM   #954
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
It's blue. I just had my done at the dealer. However by the time I got my trailer home it was way below the minimum line. I filled it up and ran through the bleeding procedure. Ended up adding quite a bit more.
Old 03-03-2020, 02:12 PM   #955
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Crested Butte , Colorado
I just wanted to give a shout-out to the folks on this forum. I woke up last night with the outdoor temperature at 38 and 48 inside the trailer. A big flashing warning on the Alde screen bout low battery power. A quick check of my CZone panel showed the battery at 13.2v but in the Alde settings the Alde system was only seeing 10.1v. What to do? At 38 the heat pumps are not going to do a lot. Well, I am awake and I am freezing so I fire up the heat pumps which promptly start blowing tons of tepid air (not helpful).
I logon the forum and go straight to the Much Ado About Alde thread. Some searching showed up that the Alde system, needs the occassional reboot. So I followed the most recent rehash of this technique (thxs BigSxyWhtGuy for taking the time to retype the process instead of just posting a link).
Old 03-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #956
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Whoop whoop! I’m glad I can be of service as part of this family.

Follow our adventures!
Old 05-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #957
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Alde Leaking under the AS

With 48 pages on this thread and an unsuccessful search via the search button, I just am going to ask this again, even though I have seen it somewhere in here.

Is it a problem if there is water leaking from the Alde system through the white tube in the middle of the underside of the trailer under the Alde system? I think that it is an overflow valve, but I am not sure. Everything appears to be working appropriately, but noticed the leak today.

I know someone knows the answer to this question!
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:36 AM   #958
2 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Casa Grande , Arizona
Normally when water is leaking from the white tube it’s caused by the water pressure relief valve opening. This usually happens when the water inlet water pressure is between 50 to 55 psi. We ended up buying an external water pressure regulator connected to our water hose and setting the water pressure to 50 psi. You could also try manually opening and closing the water pressure relief valve.
ProPride 3P
WBCCI Region 11 President - Life Members #222, AIR #118556, KJ6DKF
Sparr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #959
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparr View Post
Normally when water is leaking from the white tube it’s caused by the water pressure relief valve opening. This usually happens when the water inlet water pressure is between 50 to 55 psi. We ended up buying an external water pressure regulator connected to our water hose and setting the water pressure to 50 psi. You could also try manually opening and closing the water pressure relief valve.
The water pressure in the Alde system or the water pressure from the campground water tap? Because I don't have good water pressure from the campground at all. I had to take off the regulator because it was making the pressure even worse.
ajwbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:33 PM   #960
2 Rivet Member

2023 33' Classic
Casa Grande , Arizona
It would be the Campground water pressure. Maybe it spiked which caused the pressure relief valve to open. Try resetting the valve (open then close) and see if it stops.
ProPride 3P
WBCCI Region 11 President - Life Members #222, AIR #118556, KJ6DKF
Sparr is offline   Reply With Quote