Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
we have a friend that has a year old Escape. 20 foot or so.
that is the only camper I'd consider over my Caravel.
the interior layout is perfect.
Hope you find what you want.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:35 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hamilton , Montana
I like the big foot. The insulation making it more 4 season. Also a lot less likely to suffer damage from hail. Their built quality is high. The owners are helpful and easy to reach out to.
montana brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:22 PM   #23

Currently Looking...
Soper , Oklahoma
Fiberglass vs Aluminum

Airstream is a leader in many industry standards. The Achilles heal of the rig. Is the aluminum. See in todays post another new Airstream owner asked to take delivery of a hail damaged new rig. Complicated expensive repair. Be it hail, a rock, a flying object like a baseball. The aluminum is vulnerable and expensive to repair. All that glitters is not gold. All that shines silver is not good.
I like your thoughts on the Bigfoot. Would encourage you to be vigilant and find a Bigfoot. I have had two Airstreams. I am considering fiberglass, an Oliver in that I am going smaller.
The second Airstream on maiden voyage had a RV park trash can blown into the front R quarter and leave a sizable dent. It was a gusty day. It was a sad day.
cash0205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana brad View Post
I like the big foot. The insulation making it more 4 season. Also a lot less likely to suffer damage from hail. Their built quality is high. The owners are helpful and easy to reach out to.
Having had both Bigfoot and 3 Airstreams, I can agree with this statement. We started with a 17 Bigfoot and went everywhere in it from 1997 till 2005 our first 19 foot airstream only because I wanted to stay with single axel for maneuverability in the areas we liked to go and the move up to the Bigfoot would have meant dual axel.
We moved "up" to a 20 Safari in 2007 for better layout in a single axel until 2013 when we were looking again for more tank capacity for boondocking.
I wanted to go back to Bigfoot for much better insulation, dual pane windows ( Canada) and layout but Bigfoot was not building new as the plant had shut down for a year so we settled on the 25fb international.
A good friend was looking in 2015 for an airstream like ours and ended up with the 25 Bigfoot and loves it still and pulls with a 2015 Silverado 1500 max tow 6.2.
There are still days when I look at the Bigfoot alternative for the insulation, and the much more forgiving exterior.
Personally depending on your camping,you can't go wrong with either.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:39 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I would argue aluminum is easier to repair in field with some scrap and a rivet gun. Way easier than fiberglass
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 05:40 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Union , KY
Thank you for all your thoughts, I am pricing out a 25rb25rt Bigfoot today at a dealer that has available delivery dates this summer. While I love the look and feel of an Airstream, if I can get a Bigfoot I feel it will be a better choice for us.
Fingers crossed! If I chose to sell, my Escape is sold, so easy deal.
Buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 08:01 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The biggest claim that AS can make is that it is a survivor. They have outlasted everybody else in their "graduating class" by many decades. They still make basically the same thing they started making so indeed they didn't survive by turning into a fast food outfit or some other thing unrelated to their original product line. Yes, they also make vans these days. For a bit they made fiberglass trailers. The aluminum trailers still are there.

Airstream has never been the low cost leader in the RV industry. They also have never been the top of the market. There have always been (usually small) outfits selling at higher prices and delivering a bit more of this or that in their product. Pointing to them gets "interesting" because they all pretty much have died / vanished / been forgotten over the years.

What that combo does is to make Airstream the "top of the line survivor" on the trailer side of the RV business.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 10:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanusport View Post
I would argue aluminum is easier to repair in field with some scrap and a rivet gun. Way easier than fiberglass
I would "argue" the AS dents easier and costs a lot to repair, if you want it done right! Had Casita; never had an issue with a branch scratching nor denting the fiberglass; pretty tough; I believe the fiberglass is stronger surface then the Aluminum. As for fixing fiberglass to me, is way easier then the aluminum, if you've ever owned a boat, you understand. I was astonished how easy the AS aluminum can dent, and how much effort/cost to repair...and I used to work on sheetmetal repair on aircraft in the Navy! Pics below of my right rear corner...happened last year while backing into a parking spot; did not even feel I had bumped/brushed up against a pole...$6500+ damage to the AS from Jackson Center...had a difficult time getting timely repair quotes for the Airstream. I ended up going to Jackson Center. Lots of folks do fiberglass repair IMHO...not so many with Aluminum on an AS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS dent1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	411315   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS dent2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	411316  

Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 10:48 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Have they really outlasted others due to quality or, because of their cost and demand for the classic shell, managed to avoid extinction? It seems like most all of the classic shells have had ground up rebuilds, panels and windows replaced. I’d hardly call that survival because of durability. It’s like a classic car barn find. By the time they are rebuilt to show class, they’re probably 20% original-sometimes just the frame.
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:05 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Union , KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I would "argue" the AS dents easier and costs a lot to repair, if you want it done right! Had Casita; never had an issue with a branch scratching nor denting the fiberglass; pretty tough; I believe the fiberglass is stronger surface then the Aluminum. As for fixing fiberglass to me, is way easier then the aluminum, if you've ever owned a boat, you understand. I was astonished how easy the AS aluminum can dent, and how much effort/cost to repair...and I used to work on sheetmetal repair on aircraft in the Navy! Pics below of my right rear corner...happened last year while backing into a parking spot; did not even feel I had bumped/brushed up against a pole...$6500+ damage to the AS from Jackson Center...had a difficult time getting timely repair quotes for the Airstream. I ended up going to Jackson Center. Lots of folks do fiberglass repair IMHO...not so many with Aluminum on an AS.
Ouch! I agree the fiberglass shell is tough, on our Casita I had a tire blow out on the freeway and it left rubber marks around the wheel well, with bar keepers friend and a sponge all cleaned up and looked new with no damage. I like the Airstreams and feel they are a premium product, so not wanting to seem like I'm bad mouthing them.
Buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 01:04 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:

That would very literally make me cry and is probably my biggest worry towing and parking. Glad you got it resolved in spite of the factory challenges.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:57 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Flying Cloud
Lexington , Virginia
We went from a 10-foot fiberglass trailer (a 2018 Happier Camper, basically little more than a tent on wheels) to a 2020 AS FC 30. We needed a bigger trailer because we wanted to take longer trips (four to five months at a time). We have loved every minute, despite the occasional challenges, and have never regretted our decision. Big trailers are great if you really have a reason for getting one.
David in Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:15 AM   #33
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_Travel View Post
Have they really outlasted others due to quality or, because of their cost and demand for the classic shell, managed to avoid extinction? It seems like most all of the classic shells have had ground up rebuilds, panels and windows replaced. I’d hardly call that survival because of durability. It’s like a classic car barn find. By the time they are rebuilt to show class, they’re probably 20% original-sometimes just the frame.
Hi

The Airstream *company* has survived longer than any of it's competitors and by a very wide margin.

Indeed the typical AS trailer lasts longer (even without a rebuild) than most of what's on the market today. That's a completely different sort of thing.

Bob
Old 02-01-2022, 07:33 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The Airstream *company* has survived longer than any of it's competitors and by a very wide margin.

Indeed the typical AS trailer lasts longer (even without a rebuild) than most of what's on the market today. That's a completely different sort of thing.

Bob

Hi Bob,

The shell with oxidizing rivets and seams notwithstanding, the internal components (fridge, hw heater, AC, microwave, etc) are essentially the same. I don’t see why they’d last any longer in an AS. Axles are the same. Internal cabinetry might arguably be better.

I have an AS. I like it for design and styling but I just don’t see it outlasting any other model if it wasn’t for the way I baby it.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 02-02-2022, 06:39 AM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi Bob,

The shell with oxidizing rivets and seams notwithstanding, the internal components (fridge, hw heater, AC, microwave, etc) are essentially the same. I don’t see why they’d last any longer in an AS. Axles are the same. Internal cabinetry might arguably be better.

I have an AS. I like it for design and styling but I just don’t see it outlasting any other model if it wasn’t for the way I baby it.

Cheers,
Phil
Hi

The typical trailer has a roof that gets into "issues" pretty fast. The body structure also is not terribly long lived. The net result is that 10 years is doing pretty well before the roof or some other major part of the trailer dies. Yes you can put a new roof on, normally the water damage has already made that a bit expensive.

I have seen a significant number of 20 to 30 year old AS trailers parked next to us in campgrounds. Talk to the owners (which you *always* do ) and their feedback is that the trailer is pretty much the same as when it rolled out of the factory. No gut job, no full up rebuild. They like it the way it is.

Routine repairs are part of life. The stove, fridge, dishwasher, and washer dryer in this house have all been replaced at least once while we've been here. I don't count the house as having "failed" because I replaced this or that appliance. If the roof caved in, I'd call that a failure ...

Bob
Old 02-02-2022, 08:39 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
That would very literally make me cry and is probably my biggest worry towing and parking. Glad you got it resolved in spite of the factory challenges.
Thanks; actually, I was moving from one covered storage slot to another; wife usually always helps me park, but I told her to stay home, "I got this"...while backing I did not even know I had brushed up against the post on that side, until I had finished parking and was putting chocks in..."wow, did I do that"? was my first reaction...the second was "wow, the wifes going to divorce me, after she kills me!" Really hard, painful, days for over a week, before she started talking to me normal again! Now, I never park without my wing-woman!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 02-02-2022, 08:43 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Hi

The typical trailer has a roof that gets into "issues" pretty fast. The body structure also is not terribly long lived. The net result is that 10 years is doing pretty well before the roof or some other major part of the trailer dies. Yes you can put a new roof on, normally the water damage has already made that a bit expensive.

I have seen a significant number of 20 to 30 year old AS trailers parked next to us in campgrounds. Talk to the owners (which you *always* do ) and their feedback is that the trailer is pretty much the same as when it rolled out of the factory. No gut job, no full up rebuild. They like it the way it is.

Routine repairs are part of life. The stove, fridge, dishwasher, and washer dryer in this house have all been replaced at least once while we've been here. I don't count the house as having "failed" because I replaced this or that appliance. If the roof caved in, I'd call that a failure ...

Bob
Agree; how many SOB TT's do you see on the road after 25 years besides Airstreams? Go to a Ralley like Alumalina, and you will see 30-40 year old units...some restored, some just maintained.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:35 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Agree; how many SOB TT's do you see on the road after 25 years besides Airstreams? Go to a Ralley like Alumalina, and you will see 30-40 year old units...some restored, some just maintained.
Funny thing about not seeing many old SOB's on the road.
How do you know unless you own and study them like we seem to with our Airstreams.
I remember when I bought a certain make of car and then seeing all sorts of them when I don't remember seeing them before.
As to age and roofs failing, as this started out as a Bigfoot vs Airstream question, Bigfoots ( Bigfeet?) have a solid no seam roof. The seam is around the middle of the unit like a clamshell.
My brother has a 46 year old Bigfoot camper ( same construction) that has no leaks and believe me when I tell you that this is definitely not from any sort of regular maintenance.
The Bigfoot is a very solid performer that is really low maintenance.
The Airstream is a hobby.
They are both worthwhile for anyone to own. One has slightly less snob appeal.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:33 PM   #39
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Sounds like you love your Escape, and just want a little more room. Why not just wait for the Escape 23, which they claim they’ll be prototyping in the first half of this year?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:35 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Hi

Bob

I understand all that. Talked to many owners, which my influenced buying one. [emoji6] Still stand by my opinions and I respect yours. That’s all they are, just a different interpretation of observations. [emoji6][emoji4]

Cheers,