Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Saint Johns , Florida
Move a receptacle to the inverter circuit

I have a 2020 33FB Twin. On the desktop in the living area there is a receptacle, but it only works on shore power. Not sure why they left this one off the inverter and other less desirable location on the inverter circuit, but engineers have to make choices. Anyway, I want to add that one to the inverter circuit. It is a great spot to plug in phones to charge etc. Has anyone ever made a similar change? Any specific concerns or challenges?
TheCols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Lacey , Washington
Thumbs up Adding a Duplex outlet

Is the flat panel TV nearby? Most likely the TV is on the inverter circuit and easily extended.

I have a similar desire for an inverter outlet at our dining room table in our 2019 27FBT Globetrotter. My dining table outlet, galley & head duplex outlets are all on the same circuit. Can't run the Keurig for coffee and have the hair dryer going.
WBACI #16885
Gary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Saint Johns , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary W View Post
Is the flat panel TV nearby? Most likely the TV is on the inverter circuit and easily extended.

I have a similar desire for an inverter outlet at our dining room table in our 2019 27FBT Globetrotter. My dining table outlet, galley & head duplex outlets are all on the same circuit. Can't run the Keurig for coffee and have the hair dryer going.

Great suggestion. Yes, there is one close I could extend. Thanks.
TheCols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Adding to inverter

Quote:

Did you ever do this? We want to add our gfci outlets in the kitchen and bathroom to the inverter too.

Can you post how you did it?
chris_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:27 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Lacey , Washington
Have not modified yet

I was looking at the kitchen/bath circuitry yesterday again. I'm now considering using the microwave 15 amp circuit that has a convenient j-box in the back of the pantry. By installing a GFCI outlet then every additional outlet downstream is protected in the kitchen/bath area. This will solve the high amperage appliances all on the same circuit in the Globetrotter.

Concerning the inverter circuit, I installed an additional USB outlet near the dinette. Problem solved.
WBACI #16885
Gary W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Globetrotter
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
I was looking at the kitchen/bath circuitry yesterday again. I'm now considering using the microwave 15 amp circuit that has a convenient j-box in the back of the pantry. By installing a GFCI outlet then every additional outlet downstream is protected in the kitchen/bath area. This will solve the high amperage appliances all on the same circuit in the Globetrotter.

Concerning the inverter circuit, I installed an additional USB outlet near the dinette. Problem solved.

Gotcha.

I was thinking about adding a circuit via the inverter plug under our bed - so run romex between the main panel for the circuits we’d want powered and the plug the inverter uses.

Does that make sense?
chris_kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
A bit of general advice: If you are planning to make changes like this, contact the factory and ask for a wiring diagram. Mark it up before you make any changes.
This will avoid “I could have sworn that wire went there...” errors. What wiring lurks in the walls of silver? Only the factory knows...
If marking up the diagram is too difficult, you should consider having an electrician do the work.
Keep a copy of the final result with your trailer doc’s, for safety and troubleshooting purposes.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 12:14 PM   #8

2018 33' Classic
Lynnwood , Washington
Move the plug

In my 2018 Classic 33 I was able to look under the desk by removing a drawer and there are two different AC outlets underneath. One is inverted and one isn't. So I was able to plug the outlets that come up thru the desk into the inverted circuit.
namastim is offline   Reply With Quote