Old 08-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Lexington , Kentucky
Initial Quality 2020 Classic 33 FBT

Just sharing our experiences after taking delivery of our new AS 2 weeks ago. This is our third “baby” - 2017 Flying Cloud 19CB, 2018 Flying Cloud 25 RBT and out new one being the third. We bought from Colonial Airstream with Nick Lenzo as salesperson - he is top notch! Their PDI process uncovered a bad water pump from the factory, and a missing light in one of the overhead storage areas - kudos to them for this.

In general, we are finding very few other issues with fit and finish, but clearly can see some instances where the woodworkers got in a bit of a hurry, or the painters/strainers did not evenly apply stain here and there to cabinetry. We did find that the Victron and Czone electronics shelf in the bathroom is falling off rails which is not a big nuisance but still something we need to fixed...

The biggest issue we have after 2 weeks involves the Zipdee Relax power awning. We deployed it successfully 2 or 3 times, but during last weekend’s trip deployed it and the rear (back) of the awning did not deploy, is bunched up and arm is making bad noises. Zipdee customer support says this is likely an issue with something going off track in the arm. - but unfortunately for us will be a dealer only fix and a 3 hr drive to one or another of our ‘local’ dealers.

Most of the technology aspects seem to be working, although I do think as more and more high tech added to at least certain lines of the trailers, Airstream needs to do a better job really training dealers on those components, or create better customer documentation. I am disappointed that the TV and/or Bluetooth audio only goes through the Bose sound bar (no subwoofer) and does not utilize and of the Fusion system audio.

Overall though, we are very pleased and see keeping this AS throughout the rest of our RV ‘career’....
ocropper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
DFW , Texas
Our dealer advises to “assist” the rear awning arm on our 33FBT. I’ve tried with and without assistance and definitely stand out there and help to make sure there are no issues.
no_worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #3
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocropper View Post
Just sharing our experiences after taking delivery of our new AS 2 weeks ago. This is our third “baby” - 2017 Flying Cloud 19CB, 2018 Flying Cloud 25 RBT and out new one being the third. We bought from Colonial Airstream with Nick Lenzo as salesperson - he is top notch! Their PDI process uncovered a bad water pump from the factory, and a missing light in one of the overhead storage areas - kudos to them for this.

In general, we are finding very few other issues with fit and finish, but clearly can see some instances where the woodworkers got in a bit of a hurry, or the painters/strainers did not evenly apply stain here and there to cabinetry. We did find that the Victron and Czone electronics shelf in the bathroom is falling off rails which is not a big nuisance but still something we need to fixed...

The biggest issue we have after 2 weeks involves the Zipdee Relax power awning. We deployed it successfully 2 or 3 times, but during last weekend’s trip deployed it and the rear (back) of the awning did not deploy, is bunched up and arm is making bad noises. Zipdee customer support says this is likely an issue with something going off track in the arm. - but unfortunately for us will be a dealer only fix and a 3 hr drive to one or another of our ‘local’ dealers.

Most of the technology aspects seem to be working, although I do think as more and more high tech added to at least certain lines of the trailers, Airstream needs to do a better job really training dealers on those components, or create better customer documentation. I am disappointed that the TV and/or Bluetooth audio only goes through the Bose sound bar (no subwoofer) and does not utilize and of the Fusion system audio.

Overall though, we are very pleased and see keeping this AS throughout the rest of our RV ‘career’....
Hi ocropper,*

Congratulations on your new Airstream. Please don't hestitate to reach out to us for assitance by sending us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:35 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
DALLAS , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi ocropper,*

Congratulations on your new Airstream. Please don't hestitate to reach out to us for assitance by sending us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.
Is this a computer generated message or is Airstream really concerned about the quality of their trailers.
Phantom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
It’s really someone reading and posting to reach out. I’ve always just called them knowing JC is a great resource.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
The BOSE sound bar has a subwoofer under the desk cutout on the back wall. Fusion subwoofer is under the recliners.

Rear awning support always seems to need a bit of a tug if it doesn’t pop loose on its own. Replacing the rubber donut may help, or in my case did not. Also the donut will stick to the arm which doesn’t help.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
San Francisco , California
Quality with new Airstreams is interesting to me as I have a 2016 19' CB Flying Cloud and have contemplated for two years to upgrade to a 23'. Yet, I see things on newer models that I don't see how AS doesn't see them, that's it's put the upgrade on hold.

From day one, I've been upgrading my 19' so if I traded in or sold, it would have all the good things a newbie to AS would want;

- Installed Zamp 100W expandable solar
- Changed out bad scissor jacks to the newer lunar landing jacks
- After (4) Interstates batts died in 6 mos, switched to (2) Trojan 6V batts
- Upgraded inverter
- Installed Voyager rear cam
- Now converting cool white recessed lights to warm white

Interesting on your awning as I was talking with my Airstream Service Manager about going from manual to power; his response was "Uh, no, you don't want to do that. Just stay with what you have." He's fully aware of the electric awning issues. He's so good, it was his changing out the weaker inverters in new units (during a sale of a trailer) that AS Corp came out to visit and followed his lead on newer models. Yet, the old manual awnings have issues as the rear mount is off centered and doesn't stay locked down

What I have noticed last week, looking at new models:

The overwhelming odor of Formaldehyde in new models; likely from the resins and glues used by AS. I've never smelled it when I bought in 2016 and up thru 2018. Formaldehyde kills me and I had to get out of the trailers after about 2 minutes.

Is it me, or has the woods been replaced with a wood product covered with a thin adhesive vinyl veneer with a faux wood texture? I ask as while looking into the entry of a trailer being looked at by a potential buyer, you could see 3" bubbles all along the panel on the side of the fridge. I walked up and you push the bubbles in. I pointed this out and the sales agent was quick to state; "we'll take care of that."

Caravel - how do downgrade to appeal to more people, but the price drop is not significant, so why bother.

New stoves - they are whimpier and lots of negative review on other forums about them. Albeit not an AS product, As should investigate the claims.

Insulation - UPGRADE THE INSULATION - AS continues to use standard bat insulation. I was in the Sierras and it got down to 48 degs. We purposely left the heater off and the trailer got down to 42 degs inside. I've toured other makers with walls not much thicker and they use airplane foam insulation.

I can live with other components as I just plan to upgrade, like replacing to a better stove/oven, change out my cool lights to warm, but even here you get stuck. AS service quotes $300/light to change out. I go to High Sky RV Parts and get OEM lights for $43 each. Come on!

Overall, have to go back to my one highlight and note; what is up with the Formaldehyde? What's notable is when my service guy tells me, when I contemplate going to a 23', "just stay with what you have for now, you're building a great trailer."
Posse96 is offline   Reply With Quote