Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
Holes in the floor of my 2019 Classic 33

I removed the aluminum kickplate below the desk area while I was routing some Ethernet cable. I discovered two 2" round holes and could see through them right to the ground. Any mouse or critter could simply climb in and have full access to my trailer.

I sealed these holes but now wonder if there are more that I should fix. Anyone come across others?

Also, isn't there supposed to be some insulation in the floor? These holes show that part of the floor is just plywood and nothing else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_151845.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	346890  
The Naker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Airstream has no quality control. As soon as you remove any cover or access panel, you find that out VERY quickly.

Aitstream's also do not have insulated flooring. Welcome to the jungle.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
That picture disturbs me a lot. How is anything like this permitted in a $150,000 trailer? I would contact customer support and send them the pictures. Ask THEM how they are going to fix this issue.

I see you are from Canada. Have Airstream send the dealer you bought it from to your house with the "authorized" repair.

This is by far the most shocking, appalling, horrific, horrifying, horrible, terrible, awful, dreadful, grievous, gross, ghastly, hideous, horrendous, frightful, atrocious, abominable, abhorrent, outrageous; monstrous, nightmarish, heinous, harrowing, dire, unspeakable, shameful; flagrant, glaring, blatant, scandalous, unforgivable, unpardonable, intolerable issue I have ever seen.

Hallelujah! Holy shxx! Where's the Tylenol?

Open-air access to the inside of the trailer. Can you imagine if it is parked on the side of your house for a winter? Mice, bugs snakes . . . .

This really is not funny.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
You sealed the holes? How is this not going to freeze? You have pipes that are normally protected by the heated tanks. No protection when the snow and wind are blowing into the space below the floor.

I would take a second look at this with your dealer or Jackson Center.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-17-2019, 11:07 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
You sealed the holes? How is this not going to freeze? You have pipes that are normally protected by the heated tanks. No protection when the snow and wind are blowing into the space below the floor.

I would take a second look at this with your dealer or Jackson Center.
Good point on the freezing. I covered the holes for now so mice won't get in. I'll follow up with Airstream on this. BUT I am still also concerned about what I haven't found.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Wow. Can you post a pic from the outside where the opening is?
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naker View Post
Good point on the freezing. I covered the holes for now so mice won't get in. I'll follow up with Airstream on this. BUT I am still also concerned about what I haven't found.
I was being funny with my first post, but I am dead serious about this build quality. This truly disturbs me. Why expose your customers to frustrating spring when they find out all their plumbing has frozen and busted.

You really need to make JC aware of this issue. Your picture says it all. I'm sending an image to a little birdy I know.

Tom & Doty
Old 07-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Manhattan , Kansas
Good find, how did you seal them up? I will check mine this week and see if mine looks the same as yours.

Quote:
I removed the aluminum kickplate below the desk area while I was routing some Ethernet cable. I discovered two 2" round holes and could see through them right to the ground. Any mouse or critter could simply climb in and have full access to my trailer.

I sealed these holes but now wonder if there are more that I should fix. Anyone come across others?

Also, isn't there supposed to be some insulation in the floor? These holes show that part of the floor is just plywood and nothing else.
and
2017 Newmar Ventana Class A DP 7224 Payload
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

That's how they do it and have done it for a long time. If you snug the pipes tight to the floor they "work" against each other and break. If you seal it up, do it with something that will flex a lot.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

That's how they do it and have done it for a long time. If you snug the pipes tight to the floor they "work" against each other and break. If you seal it up, do it with something that will flex a lot.

Bob
X2^ I just stuff fiberglass insulation in these areas. However some are there for heated tank air return. Study closely before closing any holes. Also, the areas of flooring over the tank pans are not insulated. Other areas are....at least on mine..albeit only with reflective bubble sheet.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Oakville , Ontario
Quote:
Hi

Bob
Understood. I had used some 3M auto insulation and capped with flexible vinyl cut to fit (and taped with aluminum tape). Maybe I'll remove the vinyl and figure out how to seal up the underside instead.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190716_214632.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	387.5 KB
ID:	346958  
Old 07-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Just looked at mine on my 2020 Classic 33 and there is insulation (silver backed board type) and no evidence of opening to the outside.

From the outside the daylight that you see in your first photo is the front side of the water service bay. That is also open on my trailer, worth sealing up. I'm guessing that one of the lines is for fresh water connection and the other is for the black flush line. If you take the cover plate off in the upper left under the desk you can see the back flush preventer valve. Also the same cover is used to get to one of the Alde bleeder valves.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:15 PM   #13
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Hi

Bob
Expand the picture and have a look again...I think you missed it. He's not talking about the holes in the floor for the plumbing...if you look through the right hole down below you can see daylight and grass! That's what the concern was I believe.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
Airstream has no quality control.
. . .
Welcome to the jungle.
^^^^^ x2

Sorry for your troubles.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:34 AM   #15
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
I had a similar problem with my 33 Classic within the first month. Mice got in through the opening where the wiring bundle goes through the floor up near the spare tire mount. The area was not sealed. Luckily I caught the mice the very next day and sealed the wiring bundle area with silicone sealer and steel wool. Went underneath on the belly pan area and sealed several large gaps with a combination of aluminum HVAC duct tape, silicone, and foam gap spray. There where many gaps or poor fit areas where the cold or small animals could get in. I haven’t checked the area you mentioned but will soon. Good luck with the fix.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I don't understand how you saw the ground.
Isn't there a belly pan?
I'll bet we all have multiple holes we've never looked for.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:32 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Petersburg , Florida
Thoughts on floor-hole plugging

OK, wow! Yet another reason its good they don't build airplanes.

As you address this issue, be sure to consider a couple of other points, such as

Try not to use a line-to-line rigid plate or other solution. As the trailer rolls down the road, it rocks, and if the plug solution is rigid, then the pipes will flex. Over hours and miles of travel, the pipes will be broken by the flexing.

An immediate solution is to pack the entire hole with copper wool. Like steel wool, but made of copper. Rodents and other vermin will not (so I'm told) chew through copper. Available at most hardware/plumbing supplies and used by my Orkin Exterminator to plug holes in my garage. Seems to be working.

Good luck and try not to let the crappy Airstream Quality Control ruin your fun.

Pirate Chris

Quote:

PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #18
Airstream'n Bachelor

2018 30' Classic
Pine Ridge , Florida
Omg

It is a good thing you did not post this on Facebook. Because the answer from them would have been how dare you complain about an Airstream just sell it and go away we don't want you in our club.
Kentbrookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:32 AM   #19
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
I had a similar problem with my 33 Classic within the first month. Mice got in through the opening where the wiring bundle goes through the floor up near the spare tire mount. The area was not sealed. Luckily I caught the mice the very next day and sealed the wiring bundle area with silicone sealer and steel wool. Went underneath on the belly pan area and sealed several large gaps with a combination of aluminum HVAC duct tape, silicone, and foam gap spray. There where many gaps or poor fit areas where the cold or small animals could get in. I haven’t checked the area you mentioned but will soon. Good luck with the fix.
I use aluminum wool to keep mice out. Steel wool will rust.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Miami Beach , Florida
The last straw, will never buy a new AS!

We were soooo close to taking the plunge to buy a new Airstream. And I even convinced two of my friends to buy theirs too. We wanted not only a great travel trailer, but a piece of American greatness. But after seeing this blatant disregard for the so called AS quality, we will not be buying a new Airstream. That’s a loss of three travel traveler sales. But I bet they don’t care. We’re not even a blip on their “record sales” reports. They’re just focussed on raking in the dough while the iron is hot.

So disappointed. And we thought that AS was the Last of the great American companies. I guess we will go with the Pleasureway brand. Better warranty too.

Quote:

rsementi is offline   Reply With Quote