Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2021, 05:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
DeltaRon's Avatar
 
Cumming , Alabama
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 446
Given Up!

2018 Classic 33 bought new May 2018. Now after approx. 240 days in repair shops over 3 years between JC (3X) and various other dealers (where incidentally it sits today), we’ve finally given up! Reluctantly accepted a trade-in offer from my local dealer for a 2022 model. Reluctant because this seems to be the only way to “salvage” any return. Warning to all, never buy a first series model of anything. My unit was one of the first Classic 33 models built in August 2017 where the Alde system was married to FireFly, which didn’t work and had to be separated in all later models (we have had Alde problems from the beginning). Unbeknownst to me, I was sold a prototype and now I’m left with a problem trailer that Airstream and Alde won’t stand behind. Hope all of you are enjoying camping; wish we were out there with you!
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 10,544
Hi

Our 2017 Classic 30 came off the line at roughly the same time as your 33. It has the same systems on it. We've been very happy with ours.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 729
Sorry to hear about your frustration. Did the dealer say what would become of it? It sounds like the kindest thing would be to gut the water system and turn it into a vendor stand. I hope you at least got a decent trade.
__________________
-Don
(That man in that tiny can)
(Same man, Bigger can)
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:09 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
DeltaRon's Avatar
 
Cumming , Alabama
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Our 2017 Classic 30 came off the line at roughly the same time as your 33. It has the same systems on it. We've been very happy with ours.

Bob


Hope you never have a problem because if you have the Alde 3010 married to FireFly, no one knows how to fix it at Airstream or Truma. Only fix is to replace with Alde 3020 and to run Alde completely separate from FireFly. That’s why I’m looking at a possible significant expense just to be able to “trade” unit for a new 2022, which I don’t even want.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
s1000pre's Avatar
 
2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 697
Images: 1
I’m really sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced. My 2020 was nothing but issues, it was a list of really frustrating things that only a trip to JC could correct, shower leaked, Relax awning issues, daylight visible around the entire door, leaky vents, bad shower valve, bathroom door handle, refrigerator E1 code, black flush leaked, speakers falling out, batteries failing…. We traded for a 2021 30Bunk, not one issue in five months…perfection. Reminded me of my brand new Range Rover. In the shop four times in the first two months of ownership…I finally sold it. Others swear by RR’s reliability. Sometimes you get a bad one… The good news…lightning typically won’t strike twice.
__________________
- Stewart
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:39 PM   #6
JDG
Riveted
 
JDG's Avatar
 
2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 175
DeltaRon
Sorry to hear about your issues. We have a 2018 built in Nov 2017 with the Alde 3010 plus the Alde Flow controlled by the Firefly. So far so good. We did a Firefly software update and Alde recall (fluid change & ground wire). System works great with no complaints. Not sure what happened and I feel your frustration. Good luck and I hope you find a better coach so you can get back to enjoying camping.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 05:28 PM   #7
Kevin Erwin
 
2021 30RB Classic
Bokeelia , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 4
Send a message via Skype™ to Kevin Erwin
DeltaRon

I felt compelled to respond and commiserate reading your comments. I do wonder if anyone at AS reads these posts. We are big AS fans and the people at AS are wonderful (and apparently very overworked/understaffed), but it would appear that many of us are having similar QA/QC issues with our Classics that are not resolved when we try to follow the AS factory protocols. These issues are magnified when you are on the road, like we are now for 6-8 months.

We got our 2021 Classic 30rb twin 12-31-20 and could not bring it home until March because it had so many issues. So far we have replaced the CZone 3 times and are waiting for a fourth so be shipped to us. This was after driving from Fla to JC for a "fix". They did replace the gas regulator and Aldi but installed the wrong CZone for the third time! Wish we had a simple panel with toggle switches.

Last night the ZipDee awning motor died. This is the second time the awning motor has failed. The first one did not work when we were trying to take possession of our trailer last December. Other issues included tire pressure monitors incorrectly installed causing valve stem failures, a gas range and stove that does not work and a refrigerator that has difficulty maintaining an appropriate temp.

We left SW Fla in late April and are now in the Seattle area seeking help before we hit the road again.

Good luck!
Kevin
Kevin Erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #8
Airstream Ambassador
 
AirstreamInc's Avatar
 
Jackson Center , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 713
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Erwin View Post
I felt compelled to respond and commiserate reading your comments. I do wonder if anyone at AS reads these posts. We are big AS fans and the people at AS are wonderful (and apparently very overworked/understaffed), but it would appear that many of us are having similar QA/QC issues with our Classics that are not resolved when we try to follow the AS factory protocols. These issues are magnified when you are on the road, like we are now for 6-8 months.

We got our 2021 Classic 30rb twin 12-31-20 and could not bring it home until March because it had so many issues. So far we have replaced the CZone 3 times and are waiting for a fourth so be shipped to us. This was after driving from Fla to JC for a "fix". They did replace the gas regulator and Aldi but installed the wrong CZone for the third time! Wish we had a simple panel with toggle switches.

Last night the ZipDee awning motor died. This is the second time the awning motor has failed. The first one did not work when we were trying to take possession of our trailer last December. Other issues included tire pressure monitors incorrectly installed causing valve stem failures, a gas range and stove that does not work and a refrigerator that has difficulty maintaining an appropriate temp.

We left SW Fla in late April and are now in the Seattle area seeking help before we hit the road again.

Good luck!
Kevin
Hi Kevin Erwin,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you have experienced. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can learn more and escalate to our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
__________________
Official account for Airstream, Inc.
Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support can be reached at 1 (877) 596-6111, option 1.
AirstreamInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:51 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short
 
2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 10,544
Hi

Keep in mind that while that *looks* like Airstream just read and responded to this thread, appearances can be deceiving. If you call up and dig into it, the "please call" posts are done by an outside contractor. All "real" contact is done once you get on the phone.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Mollysdad's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5,862
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Keep in mind that while that *looks* like Airstream just read and responded to this thread, appearances can be deceiving. If you call up and dig into it, the "please call" posts are done by an outside contractor. All "real" contact is done once you get on the phone.

Bob
I'd be curious to hear if anyone ever got help after contacting the phone number in the "sorry to hear" post.
I think their purpose is to convince us that something is done whether it is or not. "We care".
Yes, I'm cynical.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
 
AnnaBelle33's Avatar
 
2021 33FB Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 350
Given Up!

I posted in Airstream Addicts or Airstream Classic, not sure which one exactly on Facebook. Just wanted to see if anyone else dealt with my same CZone issue. The 3rd party contracted provider monitoring the groups - took my post - copy/pasted & sent to AS which created a ticket & emailed me. Cory then contacted me from AS Tech Support in 24 hours.

I had a great experience and Cory is outstanding!!!

Can’t speak to these posts on the forum - I’ve never received a reply one on here.
__________________
IG: @AnnaBelletheAirstream
2021 Classic 33 FB
2019 RAM 2500 Limited (6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel)
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'd be curious to hear if anyone ever got help after contacting the phone number in the "sorry to hear" post.
I think their purpose is to convince us that something is done whether it is or not. "We care".
Yes, I'm cynical.
I went through it, it did work as advertised. When I called there was a record and that was when we did our first trip to JC.

But like anything else, they can't be everywhere on every platform, but they do seem to genuinely care, but are over loaded and just trying to keep up. It makes sense that they focus here since besides Facebook, most people will gravitate here for help and grievances. We had a bunch of issues....IMO, handled it great.

Am I still bitter a bit about spending all that money and having to take 2 trips out there...…yes...but they stepped up and we are satisfied....minus drinking the Kool-Aid. YMMV.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
DeltaRon's Avatar
 
Cumming , Alabama
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Erwin View Post
I felt compelled to respond and commiserate reading your comments. I do wonder if anyone at AS reads these posts. We are big AS fans and the people at AS are wonderful (and apparently very overworked/understaffed), but it would appear that many of us are having similar QA/QC issues with our Classics that are not resolved when we try to follow the AS factory protocols. These issues are magnified when you are on the road, like we are now for 6-8 months.



We got our 2021 Classic 30rb twin 12-31-20 and could not bring it home until March because it had so many issues. So far we have replaced the CZone 3 times and are waiting for a fourth so be shipped to us. This was after driving from Fla to JC for a "fix". They did replace the gas regulator and Aldi but installed the wrong CZone for the third time! Wish we had a simple panel with toggle switches.



Last night the ZipDee awning motor died. This is the second time the awning motor has failed. The first one did not work when we were trying to take possession of our trailer last December. Other issues included tire pressure monitors incorrectly installed causing valve stem failures, a gas range and stove that does not work and a refrigerator that has difficulty maintaining an appropriate temp.



We left SW Fla in late April and are now in the Seattle area seeking help before we hit the road again.



Good luck!

Kevin


We are still at our local dealer since October 2020 with same Alde/FireFly problem we’ve had for 3 years and over 400 days parked at various repair facilities including 3 trips to JC. Wrote “another” long letter to Randy McNeeley at JC over a week ago. Haven’t even received an acknowledgment, let alone any resolutions. Again, if you have a 2018 Classic 33 manufactured in 2017 with the 3010 Alde operating thru FireFly, you have an experimental unit that “did not work” and are destined to eventually fail. That’s why they went to the Alde 3020 system that functions separately from FireFly. And Truma knows nothing about the 3010 system and parts (circuit boards, etc.) are no longer available. If you plan on keeping your unit, I’d recommend upgrading your Alde system to 3020. Be prepared to spend around $3700.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 17,523
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
. . .
. . . We are still at our local dealer since October 2020 . . .
. . .
Thanks for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
. . .
. . . We look forward to helping you get this resolved.
. . .
Any chance of Airstream helping out here?

__________________
Let the music lift you up . . .
[Robert Frost reading live -- 2 minutes]

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
 
DeltaRon's Avatar
 
Cumming , Alabama
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Thanks for the update.



Any chance of Airstream helping out here?



Sent long letter to McNeeley 8 days ago. No response. Not surprised though since they really don’t care about their customers or building a quality product anymore.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:22 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 34
Sorry to hear of your continuing problems. I have a 2018 Classic 33 I picked up in September 2017. I have had similar problems, but not to the degree of yours.

My Alde-Firefly issues were resolved once I did a firmware and hardware upgrade to the Firefly system. I dealt directly with Firefly under warranty.

I have had continuing problems with the Alde 3010; primarily with the main control circuit board. I have replaced four control boards in the four years I have owned this unit. I now travel with a spare control board and control panel.

Truma is more difficult to deal with than when Alde had the office in Portland. I last ordered Alde 3010 parts in March 2021; no issue receiving them.

Best of luck with your new unit........
Aircats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
 
DeltaRon's Avatar
 
Cumming , Alabama
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 446
Sent following email to Randy McNeeley, JC 3 weeks ago. No reply. Guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Airstream doesn’t care that one of their flagship unit owners is living a nightmare experience.

“Randy, I know you’ve already helped us a great deal on the ongoing problems with our “Lemon” unit but I need to let someone there know just how concerned we are. Our trailer remains at Southland RV where it’s been since October 2020. We tried 2 camping trips in April and May but had to return it to Southland yet again for the same Alde problems we’ve had since 2018 when we bought. Now I’m being told that we need a new Alde 3010 Control board. Unfortunately, Alde is telling Southland that they don’t make the old board. Southland is “hoping” that Truma/Alde will eventually deliver something. My opinion is that the complete Alde system needs to be upgraded to the current Alde 3020 system. BUT, no one wants to pay for that.

So, after over 400 days sitting on dealer and JC repair lots out of last 3 years, I really can’t tell you whether we will ever be able to Airstream again. I don’t know IF there’s anything you can do for us. But please know that we are NOT happy with owning Airstream’s flagship Classic 33 that has been useless for us and continues to just occupy dealer lot space.

Ronald Cannon”

So we continue to wait!
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
DeltaRon's Avatar
 
Cumming , Alabama
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 446
Finally some good news. Southland received new Alde board and FireFly communication cable. First test positive. We’re gonna try a fourth trip next week. Hopefully we won’t be returning it again. Hopefully we’ll have consistent hot water for first time since May, 2018. Unfortunately we’ve been at this stage too many times to be confident in Airstream. Still no empathy from Airstream corporate.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
Justinhb's Avatar

 
2004 25' Safari
Central Valley , California
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 25
Good luck Ron! I hope all works out for you ��
__________________
- Lots of people are engaging in risky behavior, but most of them just don't know how risky their behavior really is...

2013 Ram, 2500, Crew Cab, Cummins, 4x4, SRW, Short Box
2004 25', Safari LS
Blue Ox
Justinhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:17 PM   #20
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,975
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Sent following email to Randy McNeeley, JC 3 weeks ago. No reply. Guess I shouldn’t be surprised. Airstream doesn’t care that one of their flagship unit owners is living a nightmare experience.

“Randy, I know you’ve already helped us a great deal on the ongoing problems with our “Lemon” unit but I need to let someone there know just how concerned we are. Our trailer remains at Southland RV where it’s been since October 2020. We tried 2 camping trips in April and May but had to return it to Southland yet again for the same Alde problems we’ve had since 2018 when we bought. Now I’m being told that we need a new Alde 3010 Control board. Unfortunately, Alde is telling Southland that they don’t make the old board. Southland is “hoping” that Truma/Alde will eventually deliver something. My opinion is that the complete Alde system needs to be upgraded to the current Alde 3020 system. BUT, no one wants to pay for that.

So, after over 400 days sitting on dealer and JC repair lots out of last 3 years, I really can’t tell you whether we will ever be able to Airstream again. I don’t know IF there’s anything you can do for us. But please know that we are NOT happy with owning Airstream’s flagship Classic 33 that has been useless for us and continues to just occupy dealer lot space.

Ronald Cannon”

So we continue to wait!
Maybe your letter did more good than you think!

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Given a 1965 Caravel from my grandmother. swampthingca Trailer Values 20 07-09-2017 10:41 PM
I was given a '66 Overlander International glt General Repair Forum 6 06-08-2015 07:40 AM
Suggested Tow Vehicle (Given Limitations) Ed Brownfield Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 19 12-10-2013 06:47 AM
Contacting Moderators for a given forum perryg114 Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 2 02-18-2013 05:10 PM
Argosy 26 given to us Moonstar All Argosy Trailers 1 06-05-2006 07:59 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.