Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Orange , California
I don't like anything obstructing my view in front.
Be careful because if you get in an "accident,"
that obstruction, no matter how minor, can be used
against you in a civil law suit. Better to have a receiver
installed in the back and mount your bikes there safely.
Besides, trailer receivers can hold more weight.
Big Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Solution for putting bikes Inside during rain

I use a front bike rack. We like it, because it’s easy to get the e-bikes on and off. No high lifting.

But there are times at night and when it is raining out (or other weather issues) where having the bikes outside on the front is just not ideal. So I came up with a solution that works for me.

1). I bought 2 yoga mats; one for each bike. Perfect size. This is to put the stands on and not scratch vinyl.
2). Then I bought two bike hands per bike. They work really well as bike stands and when you put the front and back wheels of the bikes in one the bike stands it stabilizes the bike very well from going back, forward and side to side.
3). Then I put blankets around the bike so that should they fall they don’t scratch anything up.

So this past week we had a chance to find out how this works. Rain was forecasted so I decided it’s time to put the bikes inside the AS, and then to leave the bike rack empty on the front.

We drove about 2 hours with the bikes in the isle of our AS. They didn’t move at all. They were upright and had not moved forward or sideways.

The total cost is about $100 per bike. We still drive with the bikes on the front most of the time. But at night I want the bikes inside, and if it is raining I want the bikes inside.

I wouldn’t want to do this all the time, because we like to stop and use the bathroom, refrigerator, etc when we take breaks. The bikes are in the way. But if you are wondering about what to do at night or during inclement weather if using an outside bike rack this works great.

Also the bike stands work wonderfully when we camp and need to put a cover over them. They stand upright in the racks and are easy to cover with a 2 bike cover.

I know some lay them on the bed or on their side. I don’t care for that since this makes it much easier to get them in and out of the AS when we do put them back on the bike rack. Takes a few minutes.

One caveat would be the size of your AS. We have a 28’ so not sure if this would work in all size AS’s. I only know it works for us, and you can test it out in yours by just placing your bikes in the middle to see if it would fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05A69E17-DE09-429B-9765-0FC898A2236C.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	348947   Click image for larger version

Name:	84CA9452-814C-4178-B79D-FBDEEA0877C0.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	348948  

Click image for larger version

Name:	03672F08-7A04-439F-98F0-2A9BD49672D1.jpg