Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Williamsburg , Virginia
Fridge a/c receptacle rewired for Inverter

As most everyone has experienced rising temps in fridge while traveling in high temp season while on propane I was wondering if anyone has had the a/c receptacle converted to have output from the inverter while traveling? This is of course assuming that the wattage is sufficient and the t/v alternator output is enough. That part I have not yet researched. Thanks in advance for any thoughts good or bad.
SC RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:43 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The fridge on AC pulls about 3A. Yes, that's a guess and yours could pull a bit more or a bit less. The only way to know what yours pulls is to measure it and see.

3A at 120 is around 30A off a 12V bus at 100% efficiency. Your inverter would need to be able to supply 3.6 KW "full time". Something up around 4KW probably would be a good idea. If you loose 10% in the inverter and 10% in the wiring, you would need about 36A at 12V to get the job done.

36A is well above what your normal 7pin adapter will handle. You are talking about some sort of custom wire job. Either you put the inverter in the TV and run 120V back or you put in some pretty big wires / connectors to get DC back to the trailer.

Swapping out to a compressor based fridge would take the 30-ish A number down to something in the < 10A range. You have some choices to make in terms of double vs single compressor. The singles pull half as much (peak) but the freezer does not get it's own separate cooling system.

The absorption fridge likely will do no better / no worse running on 120V than on propane. If anything, I'd bet it runs slightly better on propane. If the objective is to cool better, switching it to 120V is not going to help. The dual compressor with proper ventilation likely will do a better job in this regard.

Fun !!

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The fridge on AC pulls about 3A. Yes, that's a guess and yours could pull a bit more or a bit less. The only way to know what yours pulls is to measure it and see.

3A at 120 is around 30A off a 12V bus at 100% efficiency. Your inverter would need to be able to supply 3.6 KW "full time". Something up around 4KW probably would be a good idea. ...
Bob

As we used to say (in the pre-calculator slide rule past) there's that damn decimal point again....30A at 12 volts is 360 watts, not 3.6 kW. It will actually be a little more due to the low efficiency of the inverter....

Agreed it will probably do no better on AC than propane. My 2001 and 2002 had a recall to add baffles around the flame area. The reason was fire safety in case of an ammonia leak, but I think it also improved performance going down the road.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
As we used to say (in the pre-calculator slide rule past) there's that damn decimal point again....30A at 12 volts is 360 watts, not 3.6 kW. It will actually be a little more due to the low efficiency of the inverter....
Hi

There you go .... sorry about that

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 07:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Ours is rewired but we just run it on propane as the drain on the battery is pretty serious. We do have a dc/dc charger with a 3000 watt inverter as well. Dc/dc does 500 watts in addition to the 600 watts of solar.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , AZ
Since adding ventilation fans our propane fridge has operated much better in HOT temperatures. It sems even driving down the road that the vents are not circulating air as well as you'd think.
vwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
The absorption fridge likely will do no better / no worse running on 120V than on propane. If anything, I'd bet it runs slightly better on propane. If the objective is to cool better, switching it to 120V is not going to help. The dual compressor with proper ventilation likely will do a better job in this regard.

Fun !!

Bob
Actually this seems to vary from one fridge to the next. Some do better cooling on electric, others do better on propane (maybe some need tune-up/adjustment). Testing each way on his fridge would be needed to find out if it would help or hurt the cooling ability of his fridge.
Although I agree going to a properly vented 2 compressor fridge would be most helpful for maintaining temps.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:06 PM   #8
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Fridge a/c receptacle rewired for Inverter

I run my fridge off inverter / battery from time to time (have 600ah). Pulls about 350-400w when heater is running per Bob's post.

I do this to conserve propane on occasion or if I want to cycle my batteries.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #9
Bill Crockett

2012 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Hi

3A at 120 is around 30A off a 12V bus at 100% efficiency. Your inverter would need to be able to supply 3.6 KW "full time". Something up around 4KW probably would be a good idea. If you loose 10% in the inverter and 10% in the wiring, you would need about 36A at 12V to get the job done.

36A is well above what your normal 7pin adapter will handle. You are talking about some sort of custom wire job. Either you put the inverter in the TV and run 120V back or you put in some pretty big wires / connectors to get DC back to the trailer.

Swapping out to a compressor based fridge would take the 30-ish A number down to something in the < 10A range. You have some choices to make in terms of double vs single compressor. The singles pull half as much (peak) but the freezer does not get it's own separate cooling system.

Fun !!

Bob
Hey Bob,

I have a 3000 watt inverter wired along with the shore power line through a transfer switch that powers the 30Amp converter for the entire electrical system in my 2012 27'FB. If I turn the inverter on when I am not on Shore Power, with the frig is set to Auto, it switches seamlessly to electricity. It works fine but I did not design the system with the intention of using electricity from the inverter to power my frig.. So I always set it back to run on Propane. I prefer propane because of the limited power from my solar panels and the 3 battle born batteries that power the inverter. All that said, my point is:

1) Yes. You can power the Frig. from a 3000 watt inverter in my 2012 27FB but not indefinitely.
2) I choose not to because it consumes more power than my battery and solar capacity over a prolonged period of time. I also only use my 3000 watt inverter when I need lot of AC power for things like the microwave. It is not on 24/7 when I boon dock.

As to the question in the original post: The Frig in my trailer does about the same in hot weather regardless of the power source. I think the real key is to keep cool air circulating through the refrigerator vent. I think that will do more for efficiency than the power source.

Of course everyone has their own experience to fall back on so take mine with a grain of salt. I am sure others have more experience and differing opinions.
wcrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:47 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
Frig. On Inverter

We always travel with the fridge on the 2000w inverter powered from the truck alternator thru a DC/DC charger. All outlets are live all the time. Everything powered through the inverter.
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote