Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Frickin’. Alde AGAIN

It’s 90 in central FL. I’m the one that posted about no power to the Alde then after repair, heat keeps going up beyond the temperatures set. Now, had the shower boost on for awhile and as I was drying off I noticed the towel bar was hot. The AC is running. The heat is NOT on according to the Firefly yet guess what, the heat is on, the towel bar is boiling hot and heat is pouring out of the “radiators”. This is insane. Any suggestions now?
Airstream has a major problem and we’re tired of nothing but trouble.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
What did airstream say when you emailed them? Did you get a response when you called them?

Your window to speak to JC is closing quickly. Looks like OH is going to shelter in place tomorrow. Don’t know if AS is considered necessary work?

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I would power the system down and bring up again.

I have a 3020 model but this might apply. Just a thought. Most people set their priority mode to electric if hooked up to a pedestal. Try setting the Alde to propane priority. It may take a new path in the logic.

Can you see on the panel if the booster is on? Or suddenly changes? The 3020 has a panel that shows booster status as a bar.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Frickin’. Alde AGAIN

3010 model just has a booster on/off button. You’ll also see the set temperature jump to the 80’s when you press the boost button. This is all on the Alde panel under the sink, not on firefly.

Follow our adventures!
Old 03-24-2020, 05:23 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Thank you for everyone’s suggestions. Even before this shutdown I had phoned and emailed Jackson Center (which yes, is now closed) and the suggestion was to go to a dealer. The Tampa dealer and our home dealer, (Nature and Me, Traverse City, Mi), worked together and replaced the control board (one on top of the boiler). Things seemed ok, then the heat starting climbing wildly. Haven’t needed the heat so decided to wait until we got home. That’s a challenge now of course. We even talked with the manufacturer of Alde who promised to get back to us - and didn’t. JC contacted them (now Thruma sp?) and additionally ask them to contact us. They didn’t. Then the experience of the heat skyrocketing when the shower boost was on happened. Earlier we had done the complete shut down. On top of everything the board under the sink is flickering. Long history short we’ve all concluded the firefly and Alde aren’t communicating. This isn’t the fist time. The Firefly board was replaced late last fall and our poor tech was given multiple and competing suggestions from Alde (at that time, since sold) and AC. He finally managed to get the systems talking. This has been on going since we drove the new unit off the lot. Needless to say we’re not pleased with Air Streams and wonder why we traded. We’re now waiting for an appropriate time to head north and wait for chapter ? I’ve lost count.
Thank you to everyone for suggestions.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:31 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
I have had the same problem with my 2018 Classic 33FB. The issue is with the ambient temperature sensed by the Alde control panel.

If you push the control panel “Menu” button twice, it should display the ambient temperature sensed by the control panel. Check and see if the temperature is close to your actual ambient.

I have seen the ambient temperature displayed vary from -50 to +100. If the ambient is reading lower than actual, the Alde heat will be on. If the ambient reading is higher than actual, the Alde heat won’t turn on.

The culprit is the ambient temperature sensor connection on the back of the control panel. It is a two wire connector that plugs into the top of the back side of the control panel; mine has red/black wires. If you wiggle that connection you will see the ambient temperature change dramatically.

When I have that problem I bend the connector prongs slightly on the back of the control panel to get a better connection with the two wire cable. I also use wire ties to support the cable and take the strain off the connection.
Aircats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:25 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircats View Post
I have had the same problem with my 2018 Classic 33FB. The issue is with the ambient temperature sensed by the Alde control panel.

If you push the control panel “Menu” button twice, it should display the ambient temperature sensed by the control panel. Check and see if the temperature is close to your actual ambient.

I have seen the ambient temperature displayed vary from -50 to +100. If the ambient is reading lower than actual, the Alde heat will be on. If the ambient reading is higher than actual, the Alde heat won’t turn on.

The culprit is the ambient temperature sensor connection on the back of the control panel. It is a two wire connector that plugs into the top of the back side of the control panel; mine has red/black wires. If you wiggle that connection you will see the ambient temperature change dramatically.

When I have that problem I bend the connector prongs slightly on the back of the control panel to get a better connection with the two wire cable. I also use wire ties to support the cable and take the strain off the connection.

Is your control board under the sink? We can’t even get to ours. What you’re saying sound logical with two exceptions. 1 It seems ours only happens when on gas and 2. The heat suddenly came on at one point when the shower boost was activated not heat. That having been said, I’m going to crawl under as best I can and check the temperature as suggested. Thank you.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
The Alde control panel in my Classic 33 is behind the shower, directly above the Alde expansion tank. The Classic 30 floor plan is much different than the 33, but I can’t understand why Airstream would put the panel under the sink.

I have found the problem more noticeable when operating on gas, as it heats much more efficiently than electric. And yes, I have noticed this issue with radiant heat off, operating only hot water heat or shower boost.

The Alde system works well when it works, but my experience is it requires constant vigilance and frequent maintenance and repair.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:03 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aircats View Post
The Alde control panel in my Classic 33 is behind the shower, directly above the Alde expansion tank. The Classic 30 floor plan is much different than the 33, but I can’t understand why Airstream would put the panel under the sink.

I have found the problem more noticeable when operating on gas, as it heats much more efficiently than electric. And yes, I have noticed this issue with radiant heat off, operating only hot water heat or shower boost.

The Alde system works well when it works, but my experience is it requires constant vigilance and frequent maintenance and repair.
We can understand why they put it under the sink either but it’s behind the drain pipe and almost impossible to get to. I did check it and the number at the top was 85 so I reduced it. Now we’ll see. You’re right, it’s always a challenge and frankly I think Airstream should retrofit all of us stuck with that issue. Does not speak well for their quality.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Sometime low tech is preferable
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
I see that there are a lot of problems with the system on this forum, however mine has always functioned correctly and I'm very happy with it. It's quiet once you bleed the system and have the proper level of fluid and the heat distribution is by far the best I've ever experienced in any RV.
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:03 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by primepower View Post
I see that there are a lot of problems with the system on this forum, however mine has always functioned correctly and I'm very happy with it. It's quiet once you bleed the system and have the proper level of fluid and the heat distribution is by far the best I've ever experienced in any RV.
You’re lucky. You’re also the first one I’ve heard with no problems. Hope it continues. Even our dealer has said it’s nothing but problems. Our system breaks down multiple times a year and as a result is serviced regularly.
Happy to hear someone’s works.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:04 PM   #13
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Mine has also been flawless for the last 10 months (2019 Classic 33). Other than being low on juice a popoff valve that occasionally drips water no other issues.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
Sometime low tech is preferable
Exactly...blowing hot air is much more reliable, I know I'm full of it.😂

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-05-2020, 03:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Why I went with silent, 100% reliable, resistance/radiant electric heat.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:39 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
These are the Alde system failures I experienced in 2019:

February: Boiler control board failure
July: Hairline crack in glycol expansion tank
November: Boiler control board failure # 2
December: Domestic hot water connection failure
Continuing: Remote temperature sensor loose connection

Not to mention my initial operation issues with bleeding air from glycol system, adjusting hot water mixing valve, and upgrading Firefly firmware to communicate properly with Alde. Plus periodically resetting the hot water air cushion and checking glycol pH.

As a result, I now travel with a spare Alde boiler control board, control panel, and emergency start plug. Plus a portable electric heater.

I travel in my Airstream 10-11 months each year since September 2017, so I may have a few more hours of system operating time than many.

Again, when the Alde system works, I think it is great. But my experience shows continual vigilance is required.

Those of you who have 100% reliable Alde systems should count your considerable blessings.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:45 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
You can camp like us and just chase 70 degrees!
We have one of those reliable alde units but we don’t use the head very often nor have we tried to test it in elevation, which I believe the 3010 in the 2017 and 2018s (maybe 2019)

Follow our adventures!
Old 04-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Bet you all are tired of hearing from me about the **** Alde system. Quick summary. Our Alde system has disrupted EVERY trip we take. The two most recent things this winter was the brain board under the dinette, on the boiler, was no good. Had it replaced and all was well. Then, for some reason (probably the Firefly not communicating with the Alde), the heat came on when the shower boost was activated. It seemed it was when on gas. Turned the gas off and only relied on the elec. All has been well for a month. Today we’re packing up to head home and bingo no hot water. Now the Alde board under the sink is blank so clearly the Alde isn’t functioning at all. We will be going into the north where days are in the low 40s and night temps below freezing. We realize we can use the heat pump for heat and we have an Elec heater but am I correct the tank heaters are not controlled by the Alde and will operate?
We’re starting with our dealer, whenever they’re allowed to open again, and if necessary taking it to Jackson Center. We’ll drop it and tell them to fix the damn thing and don’t call until it’s done. We didn’t pay 6 figures to have problems EVERY TIME.
Thanks to anyone who can answer our question about the tank heaters.
Old 04-08-2020, 04:19 AM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKovalchik View Post
We realize we can use the heat pump for heat and we have an Elec heater but am I correct the tank heaters are not controlled by the Alde and will operate?
Thanks to anyone who can answer our question about the tank heaters.
The tank heaters are 12v pads on the tanks themselves, and do not interact with the Alde system in any way.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:16 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
The tank heaters are not controlled by the Alde system.

Keep in mind the heat pumps work only when outside temperature is above 40 degrees.

One of my Alde boiler control board failures resulted in a blank control panel screen. There are two electrical fuses and one thermal fuse on the boiler control board, which supplies power to the control panel.

If you are lucky, only an electrical fuse is blown and can be replaced easily. If it is the thermal fuse then you need a new control board.