Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2018, 06:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Anywhere , Alabama
Fresh water leak

I have a 2017 Classic. Yesterday, while on city water, I noticed water dripping out of bottom seams along the side of the trailer, going from the wheel well back to the water cabinet. I opened the fresh water fill door and water was coming out of the fresh water fill vent. I am assuming the check valve on the fresh water had some debris or had not seated and allowed city water to back flow into the fresh water tank. Iíve had this happen on other units in the past and solved it by running the pump for a few minutes. For now, this seems to have resolved the issue.

My question and concern is how did the water get behind the fresh water fill compartment and into the underbelly? Could there be a fitting leak on the fresh water fill piping? If you have seen this before and know likely cause, then I would appreciate your feedback. Iím not so worried about the tank filling on city water, unless it didnít resolve itself. But I am worried about how the water got behind the wall.
2016 Ford F-350 Dually
lukeysh714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
For how long would you say this might have been taking place? Minutes or hours for instance?

Water forced up from the water tank, and overflowing the fill vent, has to find some way out. Assuming the water fill exterior door was closed and locked, gravity would have sucked the overflowing water downward, and the water found its way through every little crack, nook and cranny available IMO, all inside the exterior aluminum skin. Sooner or later, the water HAD to drip out somewhere.

Good thing you found the problem when you did, and that you know about turning the pump on/off etc. to clear the check valve. Hopefully that will solve things.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
To quickly test for your plumbing system is to disconnect from city water and turn on your water pump. If it won't stop running or cycles frequently then you have a leak.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Parallel threads. Easier to stick to this one IMO.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Anywhere , Alabama
Pressure test is good and water pump doesnít cycle. It definitely came from the water overflow. Just couldnít see where it was getting behind panel.
2016 Ford F-350 Dually
lukeysh714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeysh714 View Post
Pressure test is good and water pump doesnít cycle. It definitely came from the water overflow. Just couldnít see where it was getting behind panel.
The fill tube or overflow tube from the fresh water tank may not be clamped tightly allowing leak out of the tank.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeysh714 View Post
Pressure test is good and water pump doesn’t cycle. It definitely came from the water overflow. Just couldn’t see where it was getting behind panel.
Did you read Post #2? Seems like a possible route, perhaps the only one IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
For how long would you say this might have been taking place? Minutes or hours for instance?

Water forced up from the water tank, and overflowing the fill vent, has to find some way out. Assuming the water fill exterior door was closed and locked, gravity would have sucked the overflowing water downward, and the water found its way through every little crack, nook and cranny available IMO, all inside the exterior aluminum skin. Sooner or later, the water HAD to drip out somewhere.

Good thing you found the problem when you did, and that you know about turning the pump on/off etc. to clear the check valve. Hopefully that will solve things.

Good luck,

Peter

Thanks for the update.

Peter

PS -- Adventure.AS has a good idea also on a loose clamp etc..
Old 04-14-2018, 08:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
Check valve problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Good luck,

Peter
Our 2016 30 Classic has the fresh water tank problem when the tank is full and we are hooked to city water. We notice not only water coming out at the tank fill area but also on the floor behind the toilet.

Iíd really like to believe that running the pump is all I need to do.
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Our 2017 Classic did the same. Bad check valve in the pump, we seldom use the water pump. Replaced pump under warranty, all is good.

2020 28' Twin Flying Cloud-(Our 5th Airstream)

USAF Master Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #10
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Seems like I remember a small vent inside that fill door covered with a screen. Perhaps, a vacuum breaker vent for those who stuff a hose in the fill connection. Must come from the full hose, and might add to post #2 suspicion.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The vent is connected to the top of the tank separately. Itís to let air in and out of the tank as the level changes.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:09 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Williamsburg , VA
Hello, having a similar issue. With the city water off it appears the leak stops. I have a leak coming from just forward of the exterior city water hookup that exit's by the hookup. I removed the white hookup box and the lines look dry however where they penetrate the floor going up that flooring is wet. My water pump location is dry and the top of the lines in the bathroom are dry. I cannot see how to remove the bathroom cabinet under the sink so I can investigate there. I opened my city water connection cabinet and it is dry there. Pump cycles like it should. Any ideas?
primepower is offline   Reply With Quote