Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Floor Cleaning and Maintenance

We do have a husky [emoji240] with us and vacuuming happens every day. Feel like it may be time to mop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5152.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	328859

I neglected to remember or ask about how to care for the floor in our airstream. We have that fancy material that many or all of you have in your classic. Wondering what everyone uses to clean the floors!

Found this online with a demo video. Don’t plan on pressure washing this thing but I am sensitive to maintaining the leather and the wood touching the floor. Maybe a mild soap or just plain water?? Thoughts?

https://www.coltonrv.com/airstream-t...zing-flooring/

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Hi BSWG, I have not found anything that works better than an mild solution of Dawn dish soap and plain old water and a soft brush. There’s probably an easier way but to really get into the nooks and crannies takes elbow grease and a little time. I keep an old towel next to me to mop up the dirt as I go. I tired a swifer wet jet, and a couple of other prepackaged floor cleaners but they left behind a lot of dirt so it back to the old fashioned way for me.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Put your foot down! The husky has got to start pulling his own weight around there! hehe
I dont have the same floor but use Pinesol and lots of runners.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Floor Cleaning and Maintenance

Been trying to teach her how to vacuum or stop shedding for about 9 years. So far she has the “sit” and “high five” command down. Still hopeful.

Just mentioned runners to wife then realized our floor is a vinyl product and can withstand water. I like the pinesol idea. That stuff smells like the great outdoors.

In the mean time, Costco size dawn soap has to go and will get good ol’ fashioned on that floor!

Follow our adventures!
Old 12-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We vacuum a lot with the cordless Dyson to keep up with our Neuf and Lab. Once and a while mild soap (Palmolive in our case) and water with a mop take care of the heavily embedded stuff.

When doing a clean, always remember that the area under the recliners and the space under the dinette seats accumulates dog fluff at an alarming rate ....

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:35 AM   #6
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Oh, absolutely second to what UB said. I have 2 little dogs (one Yorkie and one Jack Russell mix/mutt) and I’m amazed at how much dog hair can get under the recliner and the dinette. I even found a little in the outside storage compartment. Vacuuming every day is just part of the daily routine but I’m very happy with how well the flooring has held up. Roughly 300 days of use and it still looks new.
After 2 years with the AS we’re still working on “sit” and “wait”, they get so excited when I take their big shiny doghouse on the road but they both are very good at supervising while I clean up.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We are extremely happy with the 2019 floor material. It does not show dirt and is easily swept with our Dysan 8 vacuum. One thing though, it can get very dirty without you noticing it. After several days my wife uses a tub of water with a little soap and a brush. She also does a quick rinse to pick up any soap left on the floor. We are sensitive to our dog's needs to pick up the soap. She finishes up with a towel to dry the floor and pick up any water left behind.

The water gets very dirty!

We do not have the hair issue from our dog Maddie! We chose wisely when picking the breed of dog this time Golden Doodle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maddie 3.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	329117  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Resurrection Bay , Alaska
Cool Skater Airstream Classic Floor Cleaner

I skate my 2016 Classic 30 with textured vinyl flooring clean. One hand-sized towel under each foot, armed with a spray bottle of clear glass cleaner, and I'm finished in less five (5) minutes. Yes, some gymnastic-esque moves required to get under the table and recliners.

Thanks everyone for all that contribute. I've learned so very much from all the posts; admire the bravery of some of the questions; and marvel at how many people seem to need a GRATITUDE INTERVENTION! OMGosh Airstreamers -- we're privileged, honored, fortunate, blessed ... to be AIRSTREAMERS!

DocHalo / KL4QE
Resurrection Bay, Alaska
2016 Airstream Classic RBQ "ZEPPY"
2016 Nissan Titan XD 4x4 Crew Cab (Diesel)
DocHalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Estes Park , Colorado
I use a Dyson cordless vac. Swifter wet mops and mr Clean clean freak for any stains or spots and scrub and paper towel dry. Under the recliners, under the desk chair and behind the table pedestal and dirt trapping areas. BTW I opened the fridge and a carton of eggs tried to escape back to the chicken coop. Hit the floor and the carton popped open and 5 or 6 eggs broke on the floor. After I got finished screaming at myself for my stupidity, paper towels soaked up the eggs and clean freak de slimed the flooring. I’m sold on this stuff.
Mike0392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:17 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Sunnyvale , California
Vacuum cleaner ok?

Hi All-

I just purchased a 2017 Airstream (FC 23D).

Was wondering if there are issues with using a Dyson vacuum cleaner on the flooring. The manual notes:

“ by Airstream, Inc. Use a soft broom to sweep the floor. A vacuum cleaner may damage the flooring, especially the type that use beater bars. In most cases, a clean damp cloth or mop will suffice to clean dirty flooring.”

I was going to use my Dyson v10 with soft roller brush on it before I read this.

Wondering if anyone has run into damaging the flooring when using a vacuum cleaner.

Thx!
joeysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Nope. We are all good. For the most part we use the flat head not the roller anyways. Flat head is also great for getting under furniture and the alde coverings in the classic

Follow our adventures!