Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
First Long Trip in Classic 33

We just finished a week-long trip (9 day total) to Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP with our Classic 33. This was our third time out with this trailer after 4 years with a Flying Cloud 25. Some reflections on a longer trip -

- We love the large bathroom. However, we had to camp for several nights in a campsite that was not very level (and we did use leveling blocks) and had water accumulation to one side of the shower stall. We bought a small squee-gie (sp?) at a local hardware store to use after taking showers to avoid standing water.

- We continue to learn how to use the Alde heating system. The outside temperature was in the 30's at night in Wyoming and if I had the heating system only on electricity the system just couldn't keep up (we keep the inside temp set at 65). However, if I used the propane as well electricity the Alde system kept the trailer at the desired temperature all night long. Once the outside temps went into the mid-40's - this was no longer an issue.

- I was a bit skeptical of the floor covering inside the camper - but after using it for 3 trips with 2 adults and 2 dogs - it is easy to clean and very durable.

- We enjoy watching movies in the evenings - and the projection TV does really well with movie watching (DVD and Blu Ray). The issues with campground cable have been well documented on this forum - so we don't even try connecting the campground cable to the Classic. For relatively short trips - this is not much of an issue but if we did 2 or 3 week trips this would be more of an issue for us. I do wonder if perhaps in the future a system could be included that would work with Dish TV - I am a bit hesitant to start disconnecting things to try and get our Dish TV working but may take this on as a winter project.

- We arrived home, parked the camper in the garage, and the next day I found a bunch of Alde fluid on the ground below the camper (it came out of the over flow tube). I am unsure of what caused this and will need to add some fluid before our next camping trip.

Aside from some small minor items - we are thrilled with the Classic and like the larger size!
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
As to the Alde fluid leaking out: Have you bled the Alde system and or dumped the water out of the Alde boiler?

I have found that periodically at least over the first month maybe longer of using the Alde one needs to bleed the air out, failure to get all the air out will cause some fluid to leak out the overflow.

The sanitary water needs to be dumped according to the owners manual once a month. I and others have found that when in constant use about every 7-10 days works much better.

Bud

2020 28' Twin Flying Cloud-(Our 5th Airstream)

USAF Master Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Concur with PAIACMAN and also suggest reading the Much Ado Alde thread regarding heating at temperatures below 40. You’ll probably figure most of it out on your own but the entire system is thoroughly discussed including bleeding, maintenance, normal operation. It may save you some time and answer questions that others have had. Overall it sounds like the Alde preformed as it should.
It also sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Congratulations on your 33 .

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote