Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
​2020 Atlas​
Pullman , Washington
First 2 Days with Classic 33

We picked up our Airstream Classic 33 from Spokane on Friday, drove it to our indoor storage space, and plugged it into shore power (30 amp). This trailer is an upgrade from our 25 ft Flying Cloud. Some first impressions -

Our Alde heating system has worked just fine over the past 2 days. In general, we get to the trailer and turn on the system while we are working inside the trailer - so it is on for about 5 to 6 hours at a time. The heat is uniform throughout the trailer. However, it does take some time to heat up (a couple of hours) when starting from the mid-40's up to around 65 or so in the trailer. While heating up - the heated towel rack bar in the bathroom is VERY hot to the touch. I am not sure if the temp on the towel rack will moderate when we have the heat in continuously over several days.

The Firefly system was easy to use and the ability to turn all of the trailer lights on and off with one switch is a nice feature. Additionally, the ability to move the shades up and down is very nice and works flawlessly.

The Polk Audio system is nice and we immediately linked it up via bluetooth to an iPad Mini we will keep with the trailer. I have multiple albums of music downloaded to the iPad (so an active internet connection is not needed) and used the recommended Polk Ultramarine app to control the audio system. This worked really nicely and the sound throughout the trailer was uniform and easy to hear. We like to listen to music in the morning when we get up and are fixing breakfast and in the evening sometimes before going to bed so an easy to use sound system is a bonus.

My wife and I are both engineers by training and would consider ourselves technically savvy. The integrated entertainment system with the Bose sound system, projection TV, and Samsung Blu-Ray player will take some getting used to. It took us both some time to get the "hang" of turning things on and off and using them with the integrated remote control. The picture quality was fantastic and was much better than we thought it might be. We enjoy watching movies in our camper - so the projection TV and reclining seats was part of the reason for going with the 33 instead of the 30. We also had no problem connecting to the internet through a hotspot and using both Netflix and Amazon for watching TV shows with the set-up.

Overall - the quality of construction throughout the trailer was great - the hard wood cabinets are beautiful.

We have not tried out the water systems yet - we will wait a couple of weeks to try those and I will post as we learn about our hot water system, etc...

Happy Camping and #LiveRiveted!
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
So glad you are enjoying your new Classic. I still love my ‘17 even if she’s just the 30.. lol. Very happy to hear your Alde system was set up properly. That is not always the case. It is normal for the heating to take some time while in cold temps but when you are in it for a trip the system works great, just as you described. Congratulations.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for posting your initial experiences with your new Classic. Ours is 32 years old and the solid wood cabinets still look great.

Too much technology, and sometimes for no real purpose. It causes unnecessary problems. Our new car has this touch screen. I have to hit three touch screen locations to turn on the seat heaters. Not the easiest when on a curvy, bumpy road. And the radio presets won't hold my selections for some unknown reason. And don't get me started on smart phones. I just want to drive to the grocery store.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
The heated towel bar stays hot in our 2017 30" Twin Classic. I use it as an easy way for me to check to see if the system is running, plus the towels are nice and warm when we need to use them.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Medway , Massachusetts
Thanks, good to hear as we pick up ours in 2 weeks in NJ. It is our first Airstream and there is a bit of trepidation!
M
MAHofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #6
High Desert Cat

2021 23' Globetrotter
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I acquired my Classic 33' on 12/28/2017, and have not had the opportunity to take it on it's maiden voyage yet. One issue I have is with the Alde system. When I turn on the heat, both electric and LP, there is a dripping sound coming from the removal panel near the shower. If I push the 'shower boost' button in the bathroom, the dripping sound stops. Any ideas?
akmoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Schoharie , Unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Thanks for posting your initial experiences with your new Classic. Ours is 32 years old and the solid wood cabinets still look great.

Too much technology, and sometimes for no real purpose. It causes unnecessary problems. Our new car has this touch screen. I have to hit three touch screen locations to turn on the seat heaters. Not the easiest when on a curvy, bumpy road. And the radio presets won't hold my selections for some unknown reason. And don't get me started on smart phones. I just want to drive to the grocery store.

David
Glad everyone is happy with their trailers!!! Just hope they work as well as David's and mine 30 years from now.... Not an engineer by trade, but then again, don't have to be to repair, operate or maintain my AS!!! Good luck and safe travels...
EZTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:23 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
RR #1 Afton , Nova Scotia
So glad all is well. We are leaving Nova Scotia this Thursday to pick up our Classic 33 in NJ and will report back here. This is also our first Airstream.
Deveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Congrats on your new Classic. May it serve you well and bring you a lot of joy!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #10
Classy Roscoe

AKMOORES,

We learned the Alde inside and out by chance. I believe the "dripping" sound is just bubbles in the closed loop circulation fluid circuit. When you call for higher heat for hot water, some of the heating for heated air is diverted and the bubbling stops because of the hot water demand.

Just for grins, remove those four wood screws on the panel in the cabinet above the toilet. There you will find the Alde radiator fluid holding tank. Make sure the fluid level is between the marks on the tank. A flashlight will really help.

If you find that the fluid level is too low, add fluid just below the full mark. If you over fill, it will expand out thru a vent tube on the port (street side) of the vehicle. ONLY use Alde polypropylene fluid. It is available from Jackson Center.

Go online to Alde USA website and download the install and operations manual and it will instruct you how to adjust heated water temp and the proper feeding and care of an Alde.

Now that our 17' Classic 30 Twin (Roscoe) has the bugs exercise out if it, the Alde system is awesome. No more 160 Db jet engine furnace busting off all night. Just nice warmth.

Happy trails,

JE
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
akmoore:

Dripping is the Alde Reservoir bubbling as the heated Alde fluid moves thru, when you push the shower boost the Alde HEAT part of the system stops pumping so all energy can be concentrated on the sanitary water heating.

Enjoy
Old 03-27-2018, 04:20 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
How are you finding the comfort of the TV recliners? It seems to be there is nowhere to rest your head. Is that an issue?
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 05:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Jones View Post
How are you finding the comfort of the TV recliners? It seems to be there is nowhere to rest your head. Is that an issue?
I'm taking our couch out and replacing with wall hugging recliners out of our 2017 Classic
Old 03-28-2018, 06:45 AM   #14
High Desert Cat

2021 23' Globetrotter
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I cannot believe that anyone would design a system which makes that noise! Perhaps some sound insulation would reduce the noise?
Old 03-28-2018, 06:47 AM   #15
High Desert Cat

2021 23' Globetrotter
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I'm taking our couch out and replacing with wall hugging recliners out of our 2017 Classic
I haven't had any time to take mine out, but I was surprised it did not move from the wall. Perhaps the recliners would be a nice fix...
Old 03-28-2018, 06:51 AM   #16
High Desert Cat

2021 23' Globetrotter
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Paiceman, your suggestion of replacing the couch with the recliners is interesting. Keep us posted on your assessment of the change. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
akmoores, will do. When it warms up a bit I am going to tackle this task. But, today we shop locally for narrow wall huger recliners. If I can find them locally I have three sources in IN where they make them for the mortohomes and one is sending me color samples and went onto the AS website after my inquiry and knew who made the covering of our couch and said they could match it.

I'd like to get this completed before our next trip, probably in June.