Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Williamsburg , Virginia
Failed Converter/Charger

Headed to Jackson Center in early October with 15 or so minor items under warranty to be attended to. Major of them is a failed converter/charger and tongue jack. I have read many comments regarding the 3 stage converter/chargers and would appreciate opinions on real necessity of the added expense. We stay exclusively in full hook-up sites and it is my understanding that I can shut off the battery disconnect to keep from overcharging, using the converter for 12v needs and monitor the voltage occasionally if needed to be charged. We travel frequently when out so batteries also charged by TV.

Additionally, my 3rd Super Jack has failed again and will be replaced by I hope some other brand. I understand that AS has switched to the Attwood brand for Classics. Does anybody have a suggestion. I plan to politely suggest that AS offer some other choice of jacks.

Finally, I would like to replace water pump with one that is quieter (no surging) is one exist. Not a warranty item, just personal preference.

Thank you in advance for replies.
SC RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I'm no expert, but this is my experience. My interstate batteries failed one month out of warranty, and when I went to my dealer, they just basically shrugged and said, sorry. So I replaced my batteries with Trojans, which have a three year warranty vs the interstates, which are only warrantied for one year. I also replaced my converter/ charger with a PD 4655 unit that seems to work really well and is dead quiet. I believe my batteries died because parasitic loads ran them down too low too many times, and some of it happened on the dealers lot before we bought the trailer. I now disconnect the batteries completely when storing the trailer for any length of time over a few days. So far, so good.
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:37 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC RVer View Post
Headed to Jackson Center in early October with 15 or so minor items under warranty to be attended to. Major of them is a failed converter/charger and tongue jack. I have read many comments regarding the 3 stage converter/chargers and would appreciate opinions on real necessity of the added expense. We stay exclusively in full hook-up sites and it is my understanding that I can shut off the battery disconnect to keep from overcharging, using the converter for 12v needs and monitor the voltage occasionally if needed to be charged. We travel frequently when out so batteries also charged by TV.
I have the stock converter, leave my trailer plugged in during storage, batteries still good after 6 years. The problems with the stock converter are overrated. 3 stage chargers will get you a much faster charge, which matters a great deal if you're trying to boondock with a generator that you run for two hours a day, and in a few other similar scenarios.

Stock converter isn't temperature compensated, will undercharge the batteries at 50 degrees F and lower, overcharge them at 90 F and above, and do mostly OK in between.

Quote:
Finally, I would like to replace water pump with one that is quieter (no surging) is one exist. Not a warranty item, just personal preference.
Let me know if you figure that one out because then I'll get one too.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yes change to the 3 stage convertor/ charger. This is what is keeping everything that is 12 volts working all the time when hooked up not the batteries. Worth every penny spent. Is your jack motor the one with the black top or the new gray one. If the black one you have to keep it covered or it goes bad. Yes there is a quieter pump. Surfline 4008. I put in lots of them and when I get back into civilization I have one to put in mine. Just don't bolt it to the floor tight. The rubber feet are there to help stop noise and vibration. I found that mine was bolted down to tight and just loosened the screws a little for now. The airflow is a more steady flow also so you don't get the change in pressure that you get with the factory one
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
Yes there is a quieter pump. Surfline 4008.
Is it SHURflo 4008?

https://www.amazon.com/SHURflo-4008-...JQ0TP0N383WKBR
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
No. The OEM is the A65 version. Search on Amazon. I have it in my wish list.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I read about "stock" converters (with no one specifying exactly which model they have "stock"). A/S used several different converter models and mfr's down the line.
I also read in some forums about how "bad" WFCO converters are... yet it's a "stock", multi-stage converter that keeps my old, constantly ON, cheap, flooded-cell WalMart* "EverStart" battery charged and doesn't boil it. I keep it plugged into shore power continuously when stored and have never turned the battery off. I add a little water about once a year, usually mid-summer. Previous owner reported same.

If we're to understand about this issue I think it'd be best if we quit using the description of "stock" converters, and instead specify the exact model and also the exact type/brand of batteries.

*I didn't choose this battery. It came on the AS when I bought the trailer from the PO. He had installed it in Aug '14 and used it boondocking before selling the rig to me. When the batt finally dies I plan to replace it with a flooded cell deep-cycle.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
If you can find room for a shurflow accumulator in the pump discharge it helps smooth out the pressure pulses and reduces how much the pump needs to run some.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000N...YESWKEPM035DT9
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:15 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yes that is the one. I just noticed that spell check changed what I typed
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Failed Converter/Charger

I will say that I only check into this site from a real computer a couple a few times a year, I use my iPhone near exclusively, that being the case, I never know what sub-forum a post I am reading is posted to.

From the app, it is like one big forum.

From time to time I have given "trailer answers" to motorhome questions, etc..... It is just how it is...

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote