Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Did you go on the tour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
But the reason I posted it in this thread was cause I think the outdated and sorta neglected feel of the place might be bleedin over into the product line and employee culture in some ways, leadin to factory quality control issues and such.
We were there in August for some warranty work. I didn't know exactly what to expect from the customer lounge area, but it seemed a little more run down/neglected than I thought it might be. It seemed like an older, small town factory, which it is. I grew up about 1.5 hours from there in IN, so it wasn't a total surprise. It didn't really bother me too much, and everyone that we met, both employees and customers, was very nice.

I got a different vibe from the factory during the tour though, and that was pretty much what I expected. It seemed a little like organized chaos, with lots going on, but everything seemed to have a defined purpose. Did you go on the tour?

It was good to have the terraport right there for convenience, but we had to use the dump station on the way out, since it was uphill to the sewer at our site.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thank you for more eyes-wide-open feedback.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #123
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Unhappy

Thanks for posting that photo of the front desk at JC. Looks like they have a post-it competition every day at lunch. Haven't they ever heard of visual noise?

I spent my career managing facilities of all kinds and can tell you that the cleanliness and quality of a facility directly affects the morale and quality of the workers, and their dedication to a job well done.

The old wood panelling, exposed brick wall and crappy little signs posted to every vertical surface screams neglect and a lack of concern by management for the workplace. Clean this place up, Ebenezer!

If I worked there I'd leave the second the bell rang at the end of the day- who would want to spend an extra second there?
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I've been there twice - heading back again next month and love it. Probably a cult thing with me because I see your point - but the people there so overcome some of the visuals. Brad Herring has been working with me since my second visit and he seems to genuinely care about my love for the trailer and getting everything right, the guys in the service bays are very gracious to address questions (and yes - there are dumb questions - I ask them all the time [emoji23]), withstand unnecessary interruptions to their work so we can geek out over what they're doing, and they just do great work in my experience with them. I kind of dig the kitschy retro feel of the place - and I haven't had any uphill sewer at the terraport and really - free camping while service is being done? I'm not complaining - have met some good folks and forum members there as well.

Could it be better? What couldn't? I love it for what it is. I'm fine if everyone else's mileage varies.

My trailer has also been relatively error-free Clearly the basecamp rollout was not ready for prime time and overall, there is absolutely room for improvement in quality. But I suspect a far greater number of buyers are having a perfectly great experience and not posting about it (that's not how forums work typically). Again - YMMV - happy camping!

Oh - and if anyone's planning on being at the factory during the middle of October - PM me - maybe we can say hi live!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:26 AM   #125
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I guess if the service blew me away, I'd probly come back but even that was just ok. Very friendly guys but most of what was done had to be redone again. Someone mentioned the 'good enough' mentality, which is basically how the service felt. Not any different from a dealer service center.

Like I said, I love my airstream but the whole experience at Jackson Center soured me on the brand a lil bit. I think maybe I overpaid for this trailer.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:13 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Talked to my manager yesterday about his brand new Keystone Montana 5th wheel. The A/C system doesn't distribute the air through the ducts in the roof because the styrofoam ducting inside the ceiling was crushed during roof manufacturing and his double door Norcold fridge is not cooling sufficiently due to the way its installed and/or fridge cooling unit issue. Unfortunately, he purchase it from CampingWorld and he's not getting much response to these issues and has resorted to legal action.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #127
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well, I ain't sayin they treated me unkind.

Coulda done better, but I don't mind. They just kinda wasted my precious time.

But don't think twice, it's alright.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:

- Bob Dylan
Old 09-30-2017, 05:05 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:

Well said, "like a rollin' stone . . . "

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:19 AM   #130
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post

Well said, "like a rollin' stone . . . "

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
- Bob Dylan
[emoji4]
Old 10-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #131
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
So, thanks for the musical interlude, but JFYI, slide under the forward port corner of the trailer and see how the floor penetration for the 12v cables and others look. Ran a trickle charger cord thru there yesterday and was easy through the mouse sized hole where the cable bundle had slipped/settled out. All the caulking of the hole was still on the cables about 2-3" down from the hole. Nice chunk of steel wool to fill the opening or foam insulation if you want to slow the air infiltration.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #132
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
During our factory tour last August, I flipped through much of the process improvement towers set up through out the production line. It showed communication by technicians feeding info back to engineers, tracking injuries, tracking warranty work, recalls, etc. At least the tools were there and looked in use for continuous improvement. Our decision to buy was founded in some research, the tour, rv shows, and future plans for iconic AirBnB. All the issues we have had were just issues of dealing with the product we chose. It ain't like submarine nuclear quality, but we could afford it if it was, believe me, and you can ask me.[emoji6]
Old 10-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #133
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
So, thanks for the musical interlude, but JFYI, slide under the forward port corner of the trailer and see how the floor penetration for the 12v cables and others look. Ran a trickle charger cord thru there yesterday and was easy through the mouse sized hole where the cable bundle had slipped/settled out. All the caulking of the hole was still on the cables about 2-3" down from the hole. Nice chunk of steel wool to fill the opening or foam insulation if you want to slow the air infiltration.
Yep. Mine was bare wood. Not a huge hole but lots of exposed wood under there.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
During our factory tour last August, I flipped through much of the process improvement towers set up through out the production line. It showed communication by technicians feeding info back to engineers, tracking injuries, tracking warranty work, recalls, etc. At least the tools were there and looked in use for continuous improvement. Our decision to buy was founded in some research, the tour, rv shows, and future plans for iconic AirBnB. All the issues we have had were just issues of dealing with the product we chose. It ain't like submarine nuclear quality, but we could afford it if it was, believe me, and you can ask me.[emoji6]
It's the Gemba process, used at Honda and quite a few OEMs. Works very well. I reviewed the sheets by the water test and there is evidence of follow up on warranty claims. Visit the factory and actually talk to the engineers if you want to know what they're actually working on. I did.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #135
Lynnsr

2018 20' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Our Airstream Experience !!!!!

Factory Quality Control Issues

We have been campers for many years. Started out backpacking and tent camping, then went to truck campers(Always told a boat) and were fortunate to have two very good units, a Hallmark built here in Colorado, and the Northern Lite built in Canada.
We did our due diligence and were rewarded in both cases.

This year we did the same and purchased a 2018 Flying Cloud 20FB.
We took off for many trips through the last three months and have never enjoyed a camper more. We could find absolutely nothing wrong with it as we travel throughout primarily Colorado it was a joy to camp with.

We’ve been in and around and traveled in some larger units.

It was just not our style. We love the outdoors and that’s what we travel to and for.

I have just gone through winterizing (temporarily) partially because of a cool dip we've had and I wanted to get used to the unit, set up some air connects etc.
I have been in every hole, nook, cranny, and/or panel I could unscrew and have found everything from a manufacturing standpoint superb.
No trash no debris, all holes to the outside well caulked, all wiring well fastened in place.
In our travels, nothing has broken, leaked (a couple of really brutal Colorado storms), fallen from the ceiling, failed to work, or failed to impress us. All of my life I have been known as a Semi-Pragmatic Perfectionist.

Wow, Great Camper.

The one thing that I am changing this winter is the full hanging closet will be converted to shelving as the occasional hanging item we travel with goes in the TV (I will post those changes)

I want to thank everyone that contributes to this site as I have spent numerous hours reading, and occasionally commenting.

I will continue reading, and continue posting occasionally

Happy travels to all

LynnSr & Joan
lynnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:23 PM   #136
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Good to hear!
Happy travels!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #137
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Lakeland , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsr View Post
Factory Quality Control Issues

We have been campers for many years. Started out backpacking and tent camping, then went to truck campers(Always told a boat) and were fortunate to have two very good units, a Hallmark built here in Colorado, and the Northern Lite built in Canada.
We did our due diligence and were rewarded in both cases.

This year we did the same and purchased a 2018 Flying Cloud 20FB.
We took off for many trips through the last three months and have never enjoyed a camper more. We could find absolutely nothing wrong with it as we travel throughout primarily Colorado it was a joy to camp with.

We’ve been in and around and traveled in some larger units.

It was just not our style. We love the outdoors and that’s what we travel to and for.

I have just gone through winterizing (temporarily) partially because of a cool dip we've had and I wanted to get used to the unit, set up some air connects etc.
I have been in every hole, nook, cranny, and/or panel I could unscrew and have found everything from a manufacturing standpoint superb.
No trash no debris, all holes to the outside well caulked, all wiring well fastened in place.
In our travels, nothing has broken, leaked (a couple of really brutal Colorado storms), fallen from the ceiling, failed to work, or failed to impress us. All of my life I have been known as a Semi-Pragmatic Perfectionist.

Wow, Great Camper.

The one thing that I am changing this winter is the full hanging closet will be converted to shelving as the occasional hanging item we travel with goes in the TV (I will post those changes)

I want to thank everyone that contributes to this site as I have spent numerous hours reading, and occasionally commenting.

I will continue reading, and continue posting occasionally

Happy travels to all

LynnSr & Joan
Our 2018 Serenity 27FB has been ours for only four weeks but in that time my clean freak SO has gone over every inch of interior space and as a former boater I've gone over every hose, clamp and fastener I can access.

Now, I'm fairly easy to please, but my wife isn't. Haven't found a single thing wrong.

We bought it at RV Tampa. I don't know if they just did an exceptional job detailing and commissioning the trailer or if that's the way it left the factory.

Either way, we continue to be delighted during these early days.
BCC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:09 PM   #138
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

We did have a few concerns back in 2004.

And then there was the Town Hall Meeting thread started by the Mothership.

Bob
Old 10-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #139
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
The Panhandle , Idaho
Our Experience with '17 Classic

We picked up our 2017 Classic 30RQB in late August. Some personal issues have kept us from taking it out yet camping. Our first "trip" will be a return to the dealer so they can start working on an extensive punch list.

We found multiple instances of dents and gouges in cabinets. Most of these are not severe and could probably be covered up with a cosmetic wood repair stick. When we dent a cabinet down the road that is certainly what we will do. But on a $130K+ brand new unit we expect no damage on the woodwork.

The galley counter was cut incorrectly. The stove sits on the counter at the front, but not the rear. The flange on the stove actually sits lower than the counter top. Factory solution? Fill the gap with some white caulk. So there is a new counter on order, but the dealer has no ETA on it.

The drawer under the rear dinette seat is extremely difficult to open. So much so that the DW was worried she might break it and won't even try.

In looking to see if the latch was out of adjustment I popped off the access panel under this seat. Behind the drawer is where a lot of the wiring is located, included the main power feed penetration. What I found is an appalling rat's nest of wiring. I can only assume the electrician/technician that worked on the wiring on this unit does not own a set of wire cutters. There is excess length of wiring, nothing is tied down or secured, wiring is wrapped around metal corners and protruding screw threads. wiring was laying on top of the metal frame for the drawer, and there is a junction box that has screw holes for mounting, but it is just laying on top of the massive pile of wire, unsecured.

One of the water feed pipes for the galley sink protrudes into the cabinet space so far that the hose to connect to the faucet is coiled on itself several times. It is also coiled and tangled with the hose for the pull-out spray head on the galley faucet. And the hot/cold are hooked up incorrectly. Should be push to the rear for Hot, pull forward for Cold. Its reversed.

The molding(?) around the eyebrow windows in the lounge area is warped and pulling away from the frame.

Every pull-down window shade catches on the window levers. Every single one. The shades rub on the handles constantly as well, which will lead to premature wear of the shade fabric.

The bedroom TV was mounted too close to the wall. When it is locked in travel position the corner of the TV is pressed into the upholstered side wall. Again this will lead to premature wear of the fabric.

Kitchen sink drain was installed crooked. Installer tried to use excess putty to hide this.

I could go on, but in all we are taking it in for about 2 dozen punch list items. I provided my list to the dealer along with pictures and they did not dispute even one. Still, for an RV at this price point we should expect better quality in my opinion.

I'll report again once we get it back from the dealer.
Hoagie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #140
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
We did have a few concerns back in 2004.

And then there was the Town Hall Meeting thread started by the Mothership.

Bob

bob,

For some reason I can’t access the town hall meeting post. I can get to the other thread that you reference, but then the link may not be working or at least not fir me. Could you please post again? The link to quality works fine....
Thx