Old 09-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Dust

We have a terrible time with dust coming in the back of our ‘18 30’ Classic. It comes under the bed and into storage areas below the night stands. It’s a pain. Any suggestions?
SMKovalchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Make sure the door is sealing tight and the seals are present. I believe the door latch/lock is adjustable.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Yep, what he said. Inspect the seal and adjust the latches.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Sadly the compartment latch is tight and the seal seems ok. Even our dealer tech can’t figure out why.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If the compartment is dust free, I would look for a different source, otherwise I'd be more persistant. Get some lipstick and put it on the seal, then close it, open it and look to see if the seal hits tight all around the door.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
To bikers point, it may be coming from somewhere else as well. Maybe not a tight seal around a window?

Dust accumulation is normal as these things are not air tight, so I assume you’re experiencing a very high amount of dust. Is this when stationary? Or while traveling?

Follow our adventures!
Old 09-29-2020, 04:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Sadly I apparently wasn’t clear. The dust is under the bed and seeps into the the two cupboards directly adjoining that area, under the night stand.

This dust isn’t “normal”. We’ve RV’d for 45 years and prior to this is was in motorhomes. The only other time we had this kind of dust was in the 70’s on the Al-Can Highway. Understandable.

I like the lipstick idea and might try it.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
You were plenty clear but as in other posts you have had, you just want to hear what you want to hear and your mind is made up with what the issue is.

Maybe I wasn’t clear. If you say the rear is sealing and you’re still getting dust, then it’s coming from somewhere else. The trailer isn’t air tight and the cabinets are not boxes like a standard dresser would be.

I am trying to help but as my experience with your last posts, you seem to just want to expose every negative there is and not actually want solutions or ideas for correcting what ever challenge you are facing.

Maybe my time is better spent elsewhere. Best of luck.

Follow our adventures!
Old 09-30-2020, 04:29 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
No question your time is better spent elsewhere. I don’t know what you’re referring to in regard to my comments but my not being clear was in reference to the suggestion “it might be from windows”. I don’t appreciate your snarky attitude and attempt at bullying. I’ve heard people talk about not joining Airstream groups because of the nastiness of some members. You’re the poster child for that. I’ve only posted a few times on this forum and certainly will not let someone like you deter me from using this as a resource. You seem to be a stalker. That being said, get off your high horse and keep your comments to yourself.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:29 AM   #10
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
SMKovalchik

Emails and posts are very hard to interpret what tone or message the original sender was trying to convey. Just maybe you took BigSxyWhtGuy’s post the wrong way. In the spirit of trying to help with your problem; is the dust road dust? BayouBiker gave a good way to rule out both window or hatch seals leaking. I have found my coach seems to collect a lot of fine dust (like you get in your house) throughout the entire coach. Even the ceiling in areas will have a fine dust at times. I run a small fan for air circulation when the coach is sitting in storage and not being used. Dust still seems to appear. I do run two Eva-dry small dehumidifiers which may contribute to the dust issue. Not sure how much dust or what kind (road dust or household type dust) you are experiencing. Most folks probably wouldn’t even notice the level of dust I am talking about but I certainly do. I think some folks were honestly trying to help and offer some possible suggestions. We all have different skill levels when it comes to written communications. Hopefully, someone on the Forum can help with the dust issue and you will find the Forum a very useful resource. I know I do. That being said every once in awhile I find posts/ replies from very passionate people who have a wealth of knowledge to offer. Sometimes you just need to sift through it all and take away the info that’s right for you. Good luck and please share if you find the source of the dust.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:34 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDG View Post
SMKovalchik

Emails and posts are very hard to interpret what tone or message the original sender was trying to convey. Just maybe you took BigSxyWhtGuy’s post the wrong way. In the spirit of trying to help with your problem; is the dust road dust? BayouBiker gave a good way to rule out both window or hatch seals leaking. I have found my coach seems to collect a lot of fine dust (like you get in your house) throughout the entire coach. Even the ceiling in areas will have a fine dust at times. I run a small fan for air circulation when the coach is sitting in storage and not being used. Dust still seems to appear. I do run two Eva-dry small dehumidifiers which may contribute to the dust issue. Not sure how much dust or what kind (road dust or household type dust) you are experiencing. Most folks probably wouldn’t even notice the level of dust I am talking about but I certainly do. I think some folks were honestly trying to help and offer some possible suggestions. We all have different skill levels when it comes to written communications. Hopefully, someone on the Forum can help with the dust issue and you will find the Forum a very useful resource. I know I do. That being said every once in awhile I find posts/ replies from very passionate people who have a wealth of knowledge to offer. Sometimes you just need to sift through it all and take away the info that’s right for you. Good luck and please share if you find the source of the dust.
Thank you. I feel comfortable with how I interpreted his comments. No other way to do so.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Does this dust come into the trailer when on the road or sitting in your yard or storage?
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
1976 22' Argosy
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote