Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2020, 05:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
Dometic refrigerator

We have a 2020 Classic 30 with a Dometic refrigerator (standard from factory). Recently the fan has been running constantly (day and night) and the noise it makes is annoying, to say the least!

Any of you experiencing this?

Thanks
twinkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:06 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
DALLAS , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkie2 View Post
We have a 2020 Classic 30 with a Dometic refrigerator (standard from factory). Recently the fan has been running constantly (day and night) and the noise it makes is annoying, to say the least!

Any of you experiencing this?

Thanks
I have a 2020 Classic and it does the same thing until I cool the trailer down. Must be a cooling fan,
Phantom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:22 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
DALLAS , Texas
Don't call Dometic. They don't have a clue.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
My dometic fridge does not have a fan. Are you sure itís not the fan on the converter, in the power center, located below the fridge?

Those are known to run when the cabin is warm or if you are pulling a lot of 12v loads.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
DALLAS , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
My dometic fridge does not have a fan. Are you sure itís not the fan on the converter, in the power center, located below the fridge?

Those are known to run when the cabin is warm or if you are pulling a lot of 12v loads.
The only thing below the fridge on the Classic 30 is the water pump. I'm pretty sure it is a cooling fan.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Coconut Creek , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom98 View Post
The only thing below the fridge on the Classic 30 is the water pump. I'm pretty sure it is a cooling fan.
The 2020 manual references a Power Ventilator for the refrigerator. When I searched the part number - 690394 - HighSkyRVParts.com returned an "Airstream OEM" part, which appears to be a standard 12V "computer" style fan. It comes with a sensor.

I'm not sure where it's installed on the 2020 30' Classic, but the parts website says it will run when the refrigerator is on and the temperature is hot. Duh.

Maybe the sensor is bad? Again, I'm not sure where it's located, but I'd guess at either the top of the refrigerator compartment (under the roof vent), or just at the bottom of the coil. If the latter, then it might be visible from the outside refrigerator access panel.
Instagram: Cirrusaly.Silver
Cirrusaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
DALLAS , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrusaly View Post
The 2020 manual references a Power Ventilator for the refrigerator. When I searched the part number - 690394 - HighSkyRVParts.com returned an "Airstream OEM" part, which appears to be a standard 12V "computer" style fan. It comes with a sensor.

I'm not sure where it's installed on the 2020 30' Classic, but the parts website says it will run when the refrigerator is on and the temperature is hot. Duh.

Maybe the sensor is bad? Again, I'm not sure where it's located, but I'd guess at either the top of the refrigerator compartment (under the roof vent), or just at the bottom of the coil. If the latter, then it might be visible from the outside refrigerator access panel.
I didn't know a computer fan could be that noisy. After a while it sounds like a fog horn. LOL When I get back from a trip the fan is on for a while until the trailer cools down. I store my Airstream in a climate controlled building. While camping I run the AC so they keep it cool so when I'm in it the fan doesn't run
Old 06-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
I had some fans get dusty and growl a-lot. Sometimes a few good blasts with a compressed air can cold clean them up. If the bearings packed it in, I would have to replace the fan.

Another thing to consider is if the fan is touching part of the trailer without being properly isolated, then the vibrations will travel into the trailer and be amplified by the aluminum.

It must be in a place where dust can build up quickly.

Perhaps checking for proper isolation and a blast of compressed air will help.

I recently bought a back up hard drive case and comes with a whisper quiet fan but even that adds 20 dB's to the work area.
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote