Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2016 - Current Classic (all lengths)
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #61
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Drew & Missus,

You'll have to check the campgrounds individually for each trip for trailer & overall rig length.

For example, if you ever come out to the west coast to do PCH 1 or the Redwoods & Sequoyah etc. state & federal parks of all flavors, you'll find that many are limited by either campsite length &/or overall rig length for the roads.

There are also many County, City/Town, private campgrounds around the US & Canada well worth using - especially if you decide to forego the interstates & instead run the older 2-lane US routes - as there are many still open beyond just Route-66, but same check your stops vs. size for them too.

When our kids were younger & we camped in our `88 VW Westfalia in the 1990s (pre-Avion days), I remember advising some guy with 28' AS + F250 to not try the road out of Sequoyah Park where we had just come up due too the tight turns between humongous trees close to the road.

But of course he knew better, got stuck - literally, had to be towed/pulled out backward, got a huge $$$s ticket + huge tow bill, & I'm sure many miles of the Missus chiding him!

So if the route & campground info &/or locals tell you something won't work with whatever your ultimate rig will be - listen to them!

Another avenue which you may want to check out before buying, is vintage AS &/or kin (other silver twinkies) at a Vintage Trailer Rally near you, because that opens up a whole new camping use in addition to "regular" camping. It adds a whole new crowd & events & vintage community to get to know, with whom you'll make friends & see at the vintage rallies around your area/Midwest - much the same as & in addition to the AS WBCCI Caravans & other kin's Travelcades, etc.

They also tend to be a combination of Classic Car/Truck shows & Vintage Trailer Shows (some do public open houses to show off your trailer), but a classic TV is not required by any means. If your wife likes antiques or mid-century modern & decor along the period of your trailer, then she also has an outlet for that hobby & show it off to all her new vintage pals, & something new for your honey-do list to pack/unpack, set-up, etc. - but all in fun! And you don't have to wait for retirement to do them either!

You can get restored, good condition & resto-modded 1950's - 1970's+/- ASs, Silver Streaks, Avions, Curtis, etc. in similar lengths & features as a new one, but truthfully they were better built back then, & were lighter due to the lack of heavier materials (lightweight solid woods & real plywood vs. "glue-heavy" particle board & OSB). Plus you can customize & add features as fit's your preferences & needs.

So do take a gander at the vintage topics on here, and google for them, & look at Vintage Camper Trailer magazine & Tin Can Tourists etc. googling online - & go visit a rally to look/see/chat - just to see if it fits your tastes.

To my surprise - it sure turned out to be fun for my wife & I, & we now have a cadre of vintage buddies whom we see a events several times a year (we do 5/year now until retirement).

Either way - Good Luck & Have Fun!

Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:57 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
We have been full timing for 11 years. Before we left I bought a 1976 29' Ambassador that still had remnants of the clear coat. It looked diseased but it did not stop us from driving down Rodeo Drive or through San Francisco. Several years into our aimless wandering my wife wanted to see what the AS would look like polished so we stripped the remnants of the clear coat and spent many days polishing the shell. It looks great but the original state of the shell did not attract as many people.

We bought the AS for $5000 and have put over $10,000 more into it. I would have preferred a smaller rig but this has a full bath in the rear that my wife wanted. Our TV is a Class B, Ford E350 that is on an aggressive 4X4 platform and we have used it to move our trailer into some remote camp sites. The scratches buff out and the frame and undercarriage have absorbed more than the trailer was built for but it keeps on rolling (see prior post re the receiver that literally fell off the van and dropped the trailer onto the asphalt).

I have backed the 29' into some tight spaces and only once damaged the TV on a steel bar that was implanted into a lodgepole pine. Missed the pine but did not see the steel bar. A little Bondo and paint and it is all mo bettah.

Our stated objective has been to live in or near a national park or wilderness area all year. So far so good. If I were to do this again I would still buy a vintage AS, put new axles under it, remodel the interior to fit our preferences, upgrade the electrical system and replace all of the copper tubing with Upanor PEX. Since we leave the trailer unattended at times I would probably leave the original shell looking ragged but I have installed a set of "hasps" that will accept a good lock.

So...if you want a 30' AS get one but consider an AS from the 1970s and 1980s. Wally spent years dragging Airstream trailers around the world and through some rough terrain. He used the experience to identify any weaknesses in the trailer and incorporated the fixes into the design of the trailers that were built after 1966. The scratches will not cause you as much pain as putting a scratch in the clear coat but I have seldom had a problem parking it.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by D88PSU View Post
............….I am wondering if any of you have found that that the overall length of the trailer+TV has been an issue with accessing places you want to camp. ……………….

Yes.

Basically anything that was built and designed in an earlier time by the CCC will have short sites and less hook ups. We find that State parks and national parks can be a length problem.

Full hook up "resorts" usually are big rig friendly and have plenty of space.

I park the Classic 30 in a RV port at the house. The 27 ft predecessor fit easily. The 30 ft trailer fits, but can be a little tight. Where are you going to park your RV when not in it?

Basically go on line to the places you intend to go to and see what the length of sites are and what the schedule availability is.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Richardson , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by D88PSU View Post
Hello all... I have been a forum observer/learner for a while. My wife and I are dreaming/planning on jumping into a Classic and TV in the next couple years. We are at odds over the 30 or 33.. she likes the bathroom in the 33... I like the panoramic view from the 30... but that is another thread...

I am wondering if any of you have found that that the overall length of the trailer+TV has been an issue with accessing places you want to camp.

I have read threads where people have gone from a shorter AS to a 30 or 33. I do not recall people going from 30 or 33 to a shorter one.

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew

No trailer
No TV
Lots of dreams

Drew,

Write down all the ways you want to use your airstream and the % of time at each of those activities. You have to be honest with yourself about how you are going to use it. If the majority of your time is spent moving from site to site and exploring and you also want to visit older National parks and even some state parts then a 30 might even be too big. On the other had if you are going to find a nice spot and stay there for many week then get the 33.

I moved from a 39ft. motorhome to a 27 ft. Globetrotter as we found out we like to explore a lot and move from site the site. There were lots of places that the motorhome could just not go. We are so much happier now with the shorter rig. The "shorter" means both length and height.

Good luck.

Dave
DLDINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:01 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic S/O
Pensacola , Florida
Full timed in a classic 30so for 10 years with Ford F-350 TV. 55’ total length. Never found it to much of a problem finding a spot that fit. Planing ahead is highly recommend. We are now on the road 4 to 6 months a year now. The 30 would be my maximum size (31’)
bmckeand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
After careful skimming, no one brought the mitigated ground clearance to the table. The longer the trailer the easier to catch something underneath; definitely not a problem in most situations, but a big problem if you do ever decide to boondock.

If I were thinking new and big, I would pick one of the 27’ footers.
Thiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:34 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
Red face

We had camp site size problems twice in many years of camping and traveling 104,000 mile through all of North America. the first was in the National Park at Mount Ranier and the second was in the State Park outside Camden ME but they changed our site to one on their lower meadow. When you choose or are assigned a site take a look at it and make sure it is flat and straight and does not have any "hidden" boulders. Pull through sites are the easiest but are rare and often used for motor homes. Find a mentor and learn how to back your trailer into a site. A back-up camera is a helpful accessory. So is a "walkie/talkie" so that your partner can give you directions without screaming. Also, work out a system of hand signals with your partner for left/right/forward/back/stop. Longer trailers are not necessarily harder to park than shorter ones. In fact, short trailers are more difficult because of their short wheelbase and the distance between the wheels and the hitch pivot is shorter. The shorter those measurements are, the greater the response of the trailer is to small course corrections in the tow vehicle. Don't believe me? Try this. Try pushing a 6" ruler across a counter top and then try pushing a yard stick across the same counter! The yard stick is much easier to control!!
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Part of the length conversation confusion:

Airstream measures their length from the front of the lip on the tow ball socket to the back of the rear bumper. A careful perusal of the "A" frame in front and the bumper in the rear and one realizes the actual livable space could be at least 3.5' less.

So the other brands measure the length of the living space, not the "A" frame or rear bumper overhang.

Actually Airstream is not the only trailer manufacture who measures the length from the ball to back of bumper. I have owned two other brands who did the same. Knowing how they measure is though an important factor to look at when buying a trailer regardless of make as the over all length can impact you in many ways.

Your style of camping where you plan to store it all come into play when it comes to what length works best.

My first trailer was a 16' and it was easy to park in the driveway and could get it in to the tightest of camping spots. If campgrounds where full they would often let me use a tent site. Would often end up with the nicest of campsites. No issues at tight spaced gas stations etc even when traveling on my own without someone to help spot when backing up.

When I moved up the the 22.5' Safari I found things changed greatly. Not so much in the south where many parks, private &/or public seem to be set up more for larger trailers but it can be an issue in the Northern part of NA. Need to make more reservations & well in advance far more than I did in the past and I need to take a look at the total length of the site and hope they have pictures to show how tight the entrance to the site may be before hitting the confirm button. Trailer no longer fits well into driveway and has to be stored elsewhere. Many of what were my favourite small forest type campgrounds are no longer an option to me due to the overall length of my trailer and truck.

Funny enough I have moved recently to a new communicate and as such I am not overly familiar with the various gas stations etc. Picking up the trailer from storage today so I am now scouting out a gas station that I can stop and get air in the tires easily without having a spotter with me. Oh and it needs a bath as well - again looking around for a DIY wash facility that I can get in and out of easily. Appears there may not be one within 25 miles.

Funny enough a young family member went out and purchased their first trailer last month. They thought they had gone small enough that it would fit in their driveway. I admit I had a silent chuckle when I heard the make and length of the trailer and thought to myself this should be fun! As I thought - they forgot to calculate their total combined length & the restrictions that presents, so there is no way that trailer is going into their driveway unless they are willing to spend the money on an electric trailer mover and spend a LOT of time moving it back and forth inch by inch to get it in - not going to happen as they would be holding up fairly heavy traffic on their street when doing so. So they asked their parents if they could park it on their property which is in a more rural area and a larger lot. They said yes before actually seeing the trailer. LOL My brother who is VERY experienced at towing and actually backs his one 27' boat onto the parking spot regularly and does it fast in one shoot. I was crying as he told me the story of trying to get his child's new trailer into the spot it needed to go so he could get his own vehicles in and out. It involved 2 neighbours spotting for him and removing a section of his fence as well as a section of gutter off his home! At the end of the day he has gentle suggested to his child they find another place to park it before they take it out and try and bring it back again. =;-)

All something to think about when choosing what size trailer works best for your life style.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:51 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Livermore , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AronS View Post
We're in Northern California and that was exactly the reasoning for us going with the 25 FB. We do lots of state and NP campgrounds and the options are considerably greater with a max of "25" feet (I believe my AS is 25'11" technically). Commercial campgrounds have more space but for the time being that's not our preference. Once we get to Oregon and Idaho most of those campgrounds are far more accommodating. Most of the time the size is not an issue for us as we and our 2 daughters spend most of our time outside while camping but sometimes it feels a little tight (getting ready for bed).
Thanks for that feedback. My wife and I are currently debating between a 25FB and a 23FB. The first local state park she looked up stated a limit of 24'. Yosemite does as well, but they also say it's a recommendation and they don't measure.

One has to read between the lines for advice here, because RV'ing means very different things for different people. For us, it's wilderness and solitude.

To the OP, I don't know that 30' vs. 33' makes much of a difference. Most places we see stating a limit, state it much lower than that.
MotoMannequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:33 PM   #70
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
MotoMannequi - post 60 is an important insight. It is not clear just exactly what length means when discussing campsites in various parks. Another factor is where the hitch ball is in relationship to overall length since this factor governs turning/backing abilities and the surrounding space required to enter a site. Deducting 3 feet from the 'Airstream' length is a better match to your trailer length when actually asking a campground operator about what sites are available.

I am handicapped by having driven large tractor/trailer rigs (40-52 ft length beds sans tractor) in downtown metropolitan centers for years and all the attentive skills that employs. Backing down alleyways into loading docks from crowded cross streets with impatient drivers trying to maneuver around in the midst of backing seems to hone one's skills rapidly. As your skill develops, most of the sites others believe unusable become easy peasy. Don't be too put off by the distressingly small site length numbers you read for some nat'l/state parks. Get the trailer that best matches your need for space, comfort, amenities, and budget.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Excella
North East , Maryland
Ken and I have been camping for nearly 50 years. First in a tent, then a Marquis (fancy tent) and then a Wedge (tiny tent). We've been through tornados, thunderstorms, forest fires, killer mosquitos, wildlife invasions and the 2017 Eclipse. We wouldn't change a minute. We stayed in tents and schlepped camping gear including sleeping bags, pads, beds, etc. until we were too old too sleep on the ground anymore!

Then we bought a 1977 AS, 23' Safari. Moved up from that to a 27' Keystone (measured 30') and then in a moment of weakness, we did something really stupid and bought a 33' LOA 5th Wheel. The 5W tows like a dream; but then you have to park it and find space to jockey it around. There are MANY places it does not fit! Let me tell you that I learned some new words from my DH while he's been trying to park this beast.

Well, the 5th Wheel is for sale and we have returned to our roots. We purchased a 1988 AS 29 this winter. It looks tiny next to the 5th wheel; but we know it is not. It is easy to hook up and easy to tow. No more slides, no more 5th wheel hitch. We are still working on the restoration and I sometimes wonder if we should not have gone back to a 25 ft. It would be big enough for 2. Oh, and it came pre-dented so we don't even have to worry about the first ding. She's experienced and has a few scars...just like us.

Depending on where you go and what you want to do, I would stay in the 25-28 ft range. There's enough room and you won't be sorry.
Ladyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning G View Post
19 a day is 19 TOO MANY
Sugar??
Veteran Suicides. Upon further evaluation I find I need to update my sigline. Recent VA reports us back up to 20 Veteran Suicides a day. 😓 You see, these are my brothers and sisters. If I had had a chance to talk to them I would have told them:

First, it DOES get better, I’m not blowing sunshine and rainbows up your ass, if you seek professional help, be it the VA or anywhere else, and you pour your heart, soul, your mind, your work, your will, 100% of everything you are into your healing over the next two, three or five years, I swear this on my very life, you WILL FIND JOY again. Your family and friends are NOT bullshitting you, they DO love you, and they DO want you to stick around, and NO, you will never free them or make them happier by killing yourself. Your suicide will only leave gaping wounds in their heart and soul that can never fully heal. They want you with them no matter what state you are in. You are NOT abnormal; you are a normal person normally responding to abnormal event(s). You are not weak, you are strong, stronger than most people. You have a heart, you saw things that were beyond your heart’s ability to accept, it has left scars and you are living with that pain, this is what makes you a true warrior. Please don’t leave, it’s too soon, there are so many things you will miss, beautiful and amazing things that will make you grateful for life.

But I wasn’t there and didn’t get to talk to them. So I will leave this instead.

https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

Call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, text to 838255, or chat online 24/7/365.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:55 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMannequi View Post
Thanks for that feedback. My wife and I are currently debating between a 25FB and a 23FB. The first local state park she looked up stated a limit of 24'. Yosemite does as well, but they also say it's a recommendation and they don't measure.

One has to read between the lines for advice here, because RV'ing means very different things for different people. For us, it's wilderness and solitude.

To the OP, I don't know that 30' vs. 33' makes much of a difference. Most places we see stating a limit, state it much lower than that.
FWIW, we have been able to squeak into what’s labeled a 24’ spot. Those ones are usually pretty tight to have the TV in there too though. Hendy Woods and Blue Lakes (in the Sierras) I’ve done 24’ sites but they are tight. We camp in Lower Pines in Yosemite and there are lots of sites big enough. If the site was spec’d less than 24’, I think I’d pass.
AronS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 12:17 AM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Part of the length conversation confusion:

Airstream measures their length from the front of the lip on the tow ball socket to the back of the rear bumper. A careful perusal of the "A" frame in front and the bumper in the rear and one realizes the actual livable space could be at least 3.5' less.

So the other brands measure the length of the living space, not the "A" frame or rear bumper overhang.

So our 2015 23D International Serenity is about 23' in Airstream speak but less than 20' for comparison to the others. Our 2014 Classic is 31' long in Airstream speak but has livable space a little over 27'.

So if a park has size limitations, I can use livable space of either Airstream for fitment purposes.

We like our Classic for longer trips and our 23D for weekender trips and rallys.

Our Classic scales 9,200 pounds camping loaded while the 23D scales 6,069 pounds camping loaded. We tow the Classic with a 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins and the 23D with my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI that has a 3.0L turbo diesel. The Classic has 900 watts of solar panels and a 600 amp-hour lithium battery while the 23D has 500 watts of solar and a 300 amp-hour lithium battery.

Lots of options to consider: off grid in remote area capability, always in a commercial park with all services, or something in between.

We started with a 2013 25FB International Serenity and it just did not work for us with the cross frame queen bed and dinette seating and we went to the Classic and never looked back. We have spent the last two summers for five months on our 8,000 square foot lot in the Arizona White Mountains at Ponderosa Shadows in Lakeside, AZ at 6,900 feet elevation. So the Classic is our summer cottage. We also take longer trips during the winter.

All the best in your decision making.
Can you please show me where you came by this information? I’ve never heard this before.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:01 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
I found that a front hitch on the 4x4 PU was a great addition... it is located under the front bumper where the winch is enclosed also...

I have used it several times to get our 30 footer into a smaller space when the turn radi is too small to do it from the back bumper hitch...

You get much more control backing it into a spot.. when the front wheels on the PU allow you to make tighter turns...

I have helped several others get their trailer into smaller spots using my front hitch and PU... and then when breaking up camp.. go pull them out to the area that they can backup and hitch up on to drive off...

Two things I have found work for me.. and others... is the 4x4 and the low speed setting on the transfer gearbox... allows you to get out of soft soils, mud and other things that happened after you were set up on site... and when pulling in snow and ice.. it also helps to keep excellent control.

It is not without a problem.. you have to unhitch the trailer... to re hitch it back up on the front rec'vr. And here is what the problem is..

The trailer when unhitched has no parking break... you have to rely on blocks or wheel locks... some work other don't... and if the trailer is on a slope... best to try and safety it so it won't over run the chocks/blocks or wheel locks...

I have always wondered why th people who make the elect brakes for trailers didn't come up with a 'parking brake' like the PU or TV does... I have looked at the problem before but, never went past thinking about how it would work...

When the trailer is just sitting it relys on the chocks or blocks or between wheel locks that work but, leave a lot to be desired...

However, having the hitch on the front of the TV is a big advantage for the the larger trailers to boot..
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:00 AM   #76
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
PammieSue, from the deepest area of my soul, thank you. Thank you for serving, thank you for coming back, thank you for sharing this most important message. I know all too well the struggles that face the men and women who have seen combat overseas and here at home. Yes, even here in the US. Those brave men and women who served law enforcement and EMS in most large cities have seen, heard, smelled things that only a combat vet could relate to. They see things every day, day in and day out, every shift, every season for years that most folks never even think about. It’s brutal, heartbreaking and relentless. There is just now a discussion beginning to recognize and treat PTSD in our first responders. This is by no means to detract from the very real struggle that our military personnel overseas is living with daily but maybe if enough awareness is out there, then maybe we as a nation will start to address mental health in a more effective manner.

I now return you to your regular forum reading...

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 04:40 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Veteran Suicides. Upon further evaluation I find I need to update my sigline. Recent VA reports us back up to 20 Veteran Suicides a day. 😓 You see, these are my brothers and sisters. If I had had a chance to talk to them I would have told them:

First, it DOES get better, I’m not blowing sunshine and rainbows up your ass, if you seek professional help, be it the VA or anywhere else, and you pour your heart, soul, your mind, your work, your will, 100% of everything you are into your healing over the next two, three or five years, I swear this on my very life, you WILL FIND JOY again. Your family and friends are NOT bullshitting you, they DO love you, and they DO want you to stick around, and NO, you will never free them or make them happier by killing yourself. Your suicide will only leave gaping wounds in their heart and soul that can never fully heal. They want you with them no matter what state you are in. You are NOT abnormal; you are a normal person normally responding to abnormal event(s). You are not weak, you are strong, stronger than most people. You have a heart, you saw things that were beyond your heart’s ability to accept, it has left scars and you are living with that pain, this is what makes you a true warrior. Please don’t leave, it’s too soon, there are so many things you will miss, beautiful and amazing things that will make you grateful for life.

But I wasn’t there and didn’t get to talk to them. So I will leave this instead.

https://www.veteranscrisisline.net/

Call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, text to 838255, or chat online 24/7/365.

The number is 20 per day as an estimate gathered from statistics of 20 states. Most individuals did not and are not involved with the VA, plus 15 of the 20 are 55 or older - ie Viet Nam era. No one who has seen combat can avoid change.

I apologize for interrupting this thread, but wanted to add some facts as I am involved in this topic.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:46 AM   #78
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Determining Length

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Can you please show me where you came by this information? I’ve never heard this before.
Identifying a specific trailer's length depends on how it's marketed. You really have to read the manufacturer's specifications fine print; if it says "overall length" or is listed as "outside dimensions" then that is it's hitch to bumper length.

It is easy to confuse MODEL numbers with trailer LENGTH since that is the intent of marketing monikers. There are cases where approximate length is incorporated into the model number but rounded either up or down as in Airstream nomenclature, but SOB names are most often not length but floor plan/living space labeled.

Examples -

Check Airstream stats and you'll find the Classic 30RB is 31' 3" and the Int'l Signature 30RB is 31' 11". The Tommy Bahama 27FB model is a full 28' yet the Sport 22FB is just 21' 8".

Check JAYCO and you'll see their 24MBH is 27' 1" overall. Northwood's Arctic Fox 25 series (R, W, & Y) are all 27' 3". The devil is always in the details.

Ultimately, those concerned about what fits into any particular campsite need to be aware of these differences when deciding between units. The Jayco 24 is no more difficult to park than the Tommy B 27FB.

For those staying in a California State Park, here is a web site listing limits for each park in the system:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/RVlength/

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerngirl View Post
Actually Airstream is not the only trailer manufacture who measures the length from the ball to back of bumper. I have owned two other brands who did the same. Knowing how they measure is though an important factor to look at when buying a trailer regardless of make as the over all length can impact you in many ways.

Your style of camping where you plan to store it all come into play when it comes to what length works best.

My first trailer was a 16' and it was easy to park in the driveway and could get it in to the tightest of camping spots. If campgrounds where full they would often let me use a tent site. Would often end up with the nicest of campsites. No issues at tight spaced gas stations etc even when traveling on my own without someone to help spot when backing up.

When I moved up the the 22.5' Safari I found things changed greatly. Not so much in the south where many parks, private &/or public seem to be set up more for larger trailers but it can be an issue in the Northern part of NA. Need to make more reservations & well in advance far more than I did in the past and I need to take a look at the total length of the site and hope they have pictures to show how tight the entrance to the site may be before hitting the confirm button. Trailer no longer fits well into driveway and has to be stored elsewhere. Many of what were my favourite small forest type campgrounds are no longer an option to me due to the overall length of my trailer and truck.

Funny enough I have moved recently to a new communicate and as such I am not overly familiar with the various gas stations etc. Picking up the trailer from storage today so I am now scouting out a gas station that I can stop and get air in the tires easily without having a spotter with me. Oh and it needs a bath as well - again looking around for a DIY wash facility that I can get in and out of easily. Appears there may not be one within 25 miles.

Funny enough a young family member went out and purchased their first trailer last month. They thought they had gone small enough that it would fit in their driveway. I admit I had a silent chuckle when I heard the make and length of the trailer and thought to myself this should be fun! As I thought - they forgot to calculate their total combined length & the restrictions that presents, so there is no way that trailer is going into their driveway unless they are willing to spend the money on an electric trailer mover and spend a LOT of time moving it back and forth inch by inch to get it in - not going to happen as they would be holding up fairly heavy traffic on their street when doing so. So they asked their parents if they could park it on their property which is in a more rural area and a larger lot. They said yes before actually seeing the trailer. LOL My brother who is VERY experienced at towing and actually backs his one 27' boat onto the parking spot regularly and does it fast in one shoot. I was crying as he told me the story of trying to get his child's new trailer into the spot it needed to go so he could get his own vehicles in and out. It involved 2 neighbours spotting for him and removing a section of his fence as well as a section of gutter off his home! At the end of the day he has gentle suggested to his child they find another place to park it before they take it out and try and bring it back again. =;-)

All something to think about when choosing what size trailer works best for your life style.
Well not exactly, my 2012 28' International was only 27' and the 2013 30' was over 31'.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 02:40 PM   #80
1 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
tampa , Florida
Trailer length

Had 30 ft Now have 34 ft AS Classic in Fl. Only real diff. is 2-3 axles. Only availability issues down here. Longer sites go quickly to the seasonal number of motorhomes and larger fifth wheels. Forget the holidays as everything is filled up unless you reserve early.
Whether it be state parks or rv parks we have not had any issues with back ins or pull throughs but we study the layout of park and reserve accordingly.Flexibility helps. It's a great life.
jleric is offline   Reply With Quote